Thread: Head rebuild, what can be easily DIY?

Hybrid booster

Head rebuild, what can be easily DIY?

I'm wondering what a "valve job" at a cylinder head job is going to include vs. what I could do myself at home with parts I can source myself. If I ask them to clean, inspect, pressure test, mill, install new valve seats (the core head I got from a friend dropped a seat so it obviously at least needs one new seat) is the rest as simple as borrowing a valve compressor and getting my hands dirty?

Also wondering what can be reused and what should be replaced. As in, if I'm paying a shop to do the work what should I expect to see for new parts and on the other hand if I'm doing a budget rebuild at home what can I get away with reusing?

Keepers? Valves? Springs? Retainers? Lifters? Rocker arms? Obviously I plan on replacing the valve seals.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dwh4784; 03-26-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hybrid booster

Re: Head rebuild, what can be easily DIY?

If you are replacing the valves, or having seat work done, they will need to cut the valves. If you were to say just tear it all apart to replace the seals, Id bring it all down, clean it all up, get some lapping oil, lap the valves and reassemble.

All the assembly work you can do, the shop should label everythibg to its respective cylinder. If they dont, go to another shop.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Head rebuild, what can be easily DIY?

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    I'm wondering what a "valve job" at a cylinder head job is going to include vs. what I could do myself at home with parts I can source myself. If I ask them to clean, inspect, pressure test, mill, install new valve seats (the core head I got from a friend dropped a seat so it obviously at least needs one new seat) is the rest as simple as borrowing a valve compressor and getting my hands dirty?

Also wondering what can be reused and what should be replaced. As in, if I'm paying a shop to do the work what should I expect to see for new parts and on the other hand if I'm doing a budget rebuild at home what can I get away with reusing?

Keepers? Valves? Springs? Retainers? Lifters? Rocker arms? Obviously I plan on replacing the valve seals.

Thanks!
    If it's a good shop, and they are doing it right, I would expect valve guides(if yours are worn) and a good multi-angle valve job if you are re-using the original valves.

You can re-use the keepers, retainers, lifters & springs. But I would at least upgrade springs. I also highly recommend the PT lifter upgrade since it will be easy to do. Especially if you are upgrading cams. If you have a roller cam, you can re-use the cam followers. Obviously, you can't on a slider...

You can do all the re-assembly yourself if you have access to a valve spring compressor. This will save you quite a bit. But leave the machine work to the professionals.