-MSD wires and coil

-CHASSIS-
    -Koni coilovers
    -Daytona rear disc brake swap
    -Caravan front brakes w/ hawk pads
    -Full roll cage
    -Front/Rear strut bars
    -Larger sway bar(1-1/4)

This is my last turbo dodge I swear! (YEAH RIGHT!) After owning several now I have came to the conclusion my favorite has to be Omnis and after SDAC 23 I quickly regretted selling my last one..
    Sooo while enjoying my time at SDAC 23 I made some phone calls to a potential lead on an omni with some sentimental value to me. I was well aware the condition and drivetrain shared no resemblance to its former glory however that gave me less to live up to. The car i purchased soon as i arrived back home to Wisconsin was my father Russ Jerome's old 16v Omni GLH. Picture circa SDAC 16 or 17?
    Many years later and couple owners later i got it back into family hands. Paid $1,000 with a unknown condition motor and 555 trans. The car still has Koni coilovers in good condition, trunk mounted fuel cell, full roll cage, rear disk brakes (daytona and minivan combo) etc.

Happy with a solid rust free omni to start with, i decided to rob my known good 2.2L VNT block motor from my turbo mini-van and instead shove the unknown 2.5l that came with the omni into the van since I planned on selling the van to help fund the omni anyways. This is the van the motor on the stand being freshened up.

Here is a little comparison of my turbo VS a stock garrett and mitsubishi.

Got the motor in and started taking intercooler measurements sometime in fall 2013

Sold the van for $1800. The 2.5L i "traded" turned out a much better pare considering the weight of the van and auto trans.

Living with Wisconsin winters as most can relate is not very motivating. I didnt get as much done as i would have hoped this winter, but did manage to finish the intercooler,relocate the battery,paint the valve cover, and get the car running. I also started cleaning all the interior parts i picked up. Now with the weather slowly warming up i am hoping to get the interior finished and get the car painted before SDAC 24. Here are current pictures of the GLH and what has been completed thus far.

Now that i have everyone up to date on my "build" process so far I plan on updating more frequently with detailed post.

My goals are to have the following completed by SDAC 24...
    -Install new carpet and all of interior with some type of aftermarket seats and steering wheel.
    -Polish and mount Centurion IIs
    -Body work and paint (black)
    -3bar/+40's/stage 5 cal

Re: 1985 glht (many pictures)

Very cool....I really liked that car when your Dad had it. Good luck!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Very cool....I really liked that car when your Dad had it. Good luck!
    Thanks Pat!

Mitsu booster

Bought some carpet from rock auto, not a bad price (114$) Not a perfect fit, requires some cutting and of course with the cage I had to do a little improvising. Also got the door panels and some other misc trim on. Half the battle is cleaning everything in hopes it doesnt smell like a 30 year old mouse has been decaying somewhere.

Managed to snag a super solid head board from a parts omni along with a grille and GLH hood. Re did it with some fabric store "headliner material" and 3M brand headliner adhesive. Was a pretty tight fit but now i can continue on with the door seals and other trim.

turbo addict

I'm happy to see that car has surfaced again and that someone that has a vested interest in it is bringing it back to life.

The pic you posted looks like it was from SDAC15. It reminds me of Edgewater's pit area, and I do recall oogling the car that year.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Good build thread Just found it

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    I'm happy to see that car has surfaced again and that someone that has a vested interest in it is bringing it back to life.

The pic you posted looks like it was from SDAC15. It reminds me of Edgewater's pit area, and I do recall oogling the car that year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Good build thread Just found it
    Thanks guys! Im really looking forward to driving this thing everyday and to SDAC this year. This will be my first year with a car and cant wait to meet alot more of you guys.

Mitsu booster

Turbo was on its way out, smoking due to seals. Always read so much about how it was too difficult to pull the turbo with the head on. Well i just did the head gasket not too long ago so i figured I would give it a shot. Might have something to do with the anti-seize i use religiously but geez it took literally an hour. Although I wouldnt dare try it on a 20+ year old turbo. The hardest part was playing tetris bringing the turbo up through the top. New turbo will be here this week. Got a little distarcted on my Daily Driver in the mean time...

Summer wheels and coilovers all dialed in.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Nice project, hope to see it at SDAC
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I remember your dad Russ from the "old days", SDML etc., he was always a great innovator. Please say HI from me.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Nice project, hope to see it at SDAC
    Thanks! Im planning on it even if its not painted in time. Going to have your car there this year?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    I remember your dad Russ from the "old days", SDML etc., he was always a great innovator. Please say HI from me.

Thanks
    Randy
    I will let him know you say hello. The "old days" when I was probably 11 years old, not to make you feel old or anything

Mitsu booster

Been too busy to post, but got the "ebay" center section and compressor mated to the turbonetics exhaust side, should last longer than 2 years this time as long as my PCV is working correctly. Intercooler pipes and exhaust on and ready to go as well.

Decided to dig into my transmission side cover oil leak, of course when I pulled on the pan the plate etc pulled apart as well, good time to seal everything back up. I used anaerobic sealant on transmission mating surface and chromoly plate, and then normal black sealant for the outer cover with no leaks thus far. Here was my mess.

Once I finished that up, I received some seats I ordered, so i went ahead and tackled that project by making some brackets out of flat stock to use factory sliders. The bracket's welds will be grinded smooth and painted next. Picture is test fit to get the angle of the seat just right to my liking. One more side to go..

Next project is to install a coolant resevior and re-do previous rigged fuel lines at the rear fuel cell.

Mitsu booster

Still undecided if I like these 16" OZ wheels or era correct centurions which would be refinished...what do you guys think?

Centurions please. They definitely look better. And for paint, I would consider using a black primer. PPG makes a really good epoxy primer that will hide scratches and goes on REALLY nice. I felt like I could have painted my car with just the primer and other than sun fade, it would have held up to the weather nicely.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Centurions please. They definitely look better. And for paint, I would consider using a black primer. PPG makes a really good epoxy primer that will hide scratches and goes on REALLY nice. I felt like I could have painted my car with just the primer and other than sun fade, it would have held up to the weather nicely.
    Thats a good idea about the paint, I want to paint it eventually gloss black but perhaps i will just use a black primer from a can just to get some color on it for now.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Centurions, keep the 80's look.