Thread: Are all 86 up 2.2 cranks the same?

boostaholic

Are all 86 up 2.2 cranks the same?

Are all 2.2 cranks the same from 86 up? Excluding the forged crank. Basically what i'm asking is can I use a 2.2 non common block crank in a common block?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Are all 86 up 2.2 cranks the same?

No, the '89+ common-block crank has a smaller crank seal journal and therefore not interchangeable. Swapping the seal housing is not an option either because of bolt pattern differences.

turbo addict

That's sort of true. It *can* be done, but it's not exactly easy and might not be very reliable. I can't remember which way it goes, but I think you have to turn the front crank seal surface down to the correct diameter on the non-CB crank. Then I think you use the non-CB seal retainer, but you have to make a spacer that you weld into the retainer so you can use the CB front main seal. Clearly you can't use balance shafts and the balance shaft sprocket has to be removed. The bolt holes need to be drilled and tapped in the block for the seal retainer. You also have to use a non-CB oil pan because the rail length is different.

The reason you have to use and adapt the non-CB front seal retainer is because the seal surface is too far back on the non-CB crank to be able to use the CB seal retainer.

I'm pretty sure that's it, but it is a lot of work to do it and there is no guaranty that the adapted seal retainer will seal well. Honestly, unless you absolutely can not find a CB crank, this is not a very good solution. I was actually going to go this route because I had a non-CB crank that I had stroked that I was going to put in a CB. Things didn't work out with that crank because they ground the rod journals to the wrong specs, so I had to have another one done...that one was a CB crank. Unfortunately I have never put that engine together.

I think Alan had a non-CB crank made to work in a later block. From what I read it sounded like it was no picnic.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Additionally, there are cast and forged versions (TI vs TII), though they are dimensionally the same.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Don't forget the masi crank.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Also remember that '89 2.2's didn't have balance shafts, but '90-up did, except the 2.2 that came in the Shadow "America" (and possibly the '90 Omni).

The Masi works with CB and has no balance shafts, '89 and '90.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Also remember that '89 2.2's didn't have balance shafts, but '90-up did, except the 2.2 that came in the Shadow "America" (and possibly the '90 Omni).

The Masi works with CB and has no balance shafts, '89 and '90.
    There are Masi CB and non-CB versions, but uses different width rod journals which could make it a bugger to use in any other application.

turbo addict

What I meant by that was that it would physically bolt in to the block with no modifications.

Yes, trying to build an engine with the Masi crank wouldn't be easy considering the rod width and the bearing width. The bearings aren't available anymore (NS1), but there are ways to overcome that. Not to mention the thing weighs over 50#'s! (I've weighed one).