Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Hybrid booster

Smoking

So what I thought was just smoking on start up, I guess is constant smoking while driving. My GF told me the car smokes a lot. I never realized cause I couldn't see any smoke while driving. Probably piston rings? Need to do a compression check, but it's not in the cards right now to rent a compression tester.

Hybrid booster

Re: Smoking

I bought a compression tester at harbor freight for like 20

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Better to do a leak down test, if you can. By listening /looking for where the air escapes, you'll find the cause and/or eliminate suspects.

Constant smoke may not be rings, could be a restricted turbo drain, valve guides or seals, faulty PCV, or oil seal in the turbo.

Pull the plugs to see if there are deposits on them, if they are clean, the oil is getting into the exhaust after the combustion chamber, which means anything up to that point can be ruled out.

Good luck, I'm hoping it's something simple to fix!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Better to do a leak down test, if you can. By listening /looking for where the air escapes, you'll find the cause and/or eliminate suspects.

Constant smoke may not be rings, could be a restricted turbo drain, valve guides or seals, faulty PCV, or oil seal in the turbo.

Pull the plugs to see if there are deposits on them, if they are clean, the oil is getting into the exhaust after the combustion chamber, which means anything up to that point can be ruled out.

Good luck, I'm hoping it's something simple to fix!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I've pulled plugs before and had thought it was just valve guide seals. Only plugs that showed signs of oil were #2 and #3, but more #2. It puts out a big puff of smoke right at start up which leads me away from turbo seals as it wouldn't have had enough time to heat up to smoke when you first start the car.

turbo addict

Yep sounds like valve stem seals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Too add to that I have a full set I will not need. Pay for its ride out there there yours if you want them. :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like you're on to something, and parts to fix it just "fell into your lap".

I'd still do a leak down test, you'll practically be doing one anyway when you pressurizer the cylinder to hold the valves up while replacing the seals, and it will give you peace of mind to know the condition of the engine when you're done.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you're on to something, and parts to fix it just "fell into your lap".

I'd still do a leak down test, you'll practically be doing one anyway when you pressurizer the cylinder to hold the valves up while replacing the seals, and it will give you peace of mind to know the condition of the engine when you're done.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Located them. If you want them I think a flate rate envelope would work. Let me know.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140325_131232.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	49401  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

I actually have some I found laying in the back of a Lebaron at a junk yard. Not sure what shipping would be, but can't afford much right now. I'm pretty sure what I have are the correct ones.

turbo addict

I think a Flat Rate envelope is like 5 bucks. Tell you what. PM me your address. It's on me. :thumbup:

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OUTSTANDING boostbox!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Reason 30583704730 why this is the best site out there.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the offer. Not an immediate priority as it will be a while before I get to it. Looks like you have to remove the cam to do them and that's not something I am looking forward too. Previous owner put a brand new timing belt on it and have the timing tuned in @ 12degrees right now. I don't have a timing light or the special tool for the timing belt.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You don't need to pull the cam. You do need a tool to pop the followers out and then compress the springs. Although a lot of guys on here have said that they have done it with a couple of screw drivers.

turbo addict

Ok my phone is messing up with Tapatalk. I am still sending them and will get them out to you Friday :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Okay just read through my FSM. Makes a little more sense.

Hybrid booster

Well, verified the ones I have are the Victor Reinz seals, and never got the ones from 85boostbox

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You don't need to pull the cam. You do need a tool to pop the followers out and then compress the springs. Although a lot of guys on here have said that they have done it with a couple of screw drivers.
    I used a long extension to remove followers once. Can't remember what size tho..

turbo addict

---- I completely forgot. Damn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

on stock springs a 10-12" long 1/2" dia extention bar works for me. On Comp 26995 Beehives you have to remove the cam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast