Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasti Dip?

Hybrid booster

Plasti Dip?

I wanted to see if anyone here has played with Plasti Dip. I have a co-worker considering doing his Mustang, and it got me thinking about using it on my SC. I want to use it to make the car look more uniform until I can source decent body panels and afford to do a proper prep and paint job on it. The car is about 15 shades of black and about 12 different textures.

From watching YouTube videos and looking around forums, the Plasti Dip can fill in some imperfections, hide chips, peeling clearcoat etc. Being removable, it seems to be a neat option.

turbo addict

Re: Plasti Dip?

me and joeduno had used it on our lancer project to cover the rusted roof and paint peel, on the roof hood and hatch.
    after sitting outside all winter we had gotten 2 spots on the hatch that have peeled up due to most likely poor preparation cause it was paint peeling up under.

also at work we have done quite a few sets of wheels with proper preparation it lasts very long, otherwise there was one car i sprayed in the parking lot and those did not last very long.

On the focus forums those guya use it on everything. They even spray right over clearcoat to get a flat black look for certain areas. It will peel off if you try to but lasts if you have good prep and leave it alone.

Garrett booster

I can't wait for this fad to go away.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I agree. Another band aid fix like Chrome tape.....lol.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I wouldn't do it over rust. In fact, I would only do it over solid paint.

I have some seem some tasteful plastidip jobs and some really bad ones.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Yeah I think its a bit odd, especially seeing it on brand new cars....
    I think it would be a good option for faded paint on an offroad rig. Sand your car down and get rid of surface rust. Why not just primer to get uniformity of color?

Hybrid booster

In my case, the panels that have rust, other than the rear 1/4's, are going to get replaced. Other than the rust, the 1/4's have good paint. I'm at a point where I'm tired of my flaking clear coat, flaking paint, stress cracks in the bumper, random splotches of spray paint and then some half decent paint. I'd like to get it to look decent from 10-15ft away.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    Yeah I think its a bit odd, especially seeing it on brand new cars....
    I think it would be a good option for faded paint on an offroad rig. Sand your car down and get rid of surface rust. Why not just primer to get uniformity of color?
    [opinion based rant] I absolutely HATE just primering a car. In my opinion, primering a car is purely white trash. If you're going to do enough paint prep to make primer look decent, and then primered it, you are already 75% done the job! Then the fact that from 30ft away, it's obvious it's primer. But real matte black, and satin black next to primer, and you'll see exactly how junky primer looks. Then it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Just adds more and more sanding when it's time to get to a real paint job. [/opinion based rant]

boostaholic

there is nothing wrong with plasti dip... 10s of thousands of people use it with great sucess!! including myself... works great on black plastic trim... cleans up well and last long.. i had one instance where it back peeled on me but it was cause i rushed it... and the corners of the grill were still wet... i havent used it yet on a full car paint however im planning on using the camo tan on the lower part of the 2 tone on my Ram truck... along with going over the chrome bumpers to color match it... watch the videos on youtube from fonzie and you to will get a flawless look... to some it may just be a fad but to 22shelby its a great product! to each is their own... would only use it on a good smooth surface like wheels or intact paint... and deff wouldnt go over rust... thats what POR15 is for hehe...

Hybrid booster

I have the wheels, front fender flares and B-pillar on my truck plastidipped. I won't say it's a permanent solution to anything, but great if you want to test out different colors on parts because it is easy to take off, or great if you just want to temporarily cover up problem areas until you can get it done properly.

So this thread got me curious and I tried it out on a single fender to see how it looked

turbo addict

Did my wheels on my Neon with it. Turned out decent.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398359356516.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	49737  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did my hood today it took 3 cans I'm happy with it.

1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Started peeling the fender a bit to see how easily it comes off. Took a little work but once started peels off as one piece without any sign of being there.
    It's raining here today and the water is beading on the surface really nicely.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

If you do, make sure you do a lot of coats. Otherwise you get tiger stripes, if you're not familiar with painting. It also makes it easier to remove the overspray. Only a couple coats will smear and not peel easily. Another cool part of plastidip, it cuts itself at edges. So you can tape up 2" into the windshields and it will still stick to the trim but not the glass when you start peeling. Same if youre only dipping a logo. Mask of a 2-3" box around the emblem, and spray like 6 coats and the rest peels off but stays on the emblem.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

turbo addict

This guy did his BMW with it....in different light it looks like 5 different colors...not that well shown here.
    http://www.thefoat.com/ImportFaceOff...gJqNFiyw%3D%3D
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

boostaholic

I did basically the same thing as that shadow to my mini hood with flat white, except with $0.99 home depot spray paint. Other than the price being too high relative to the cheap spray paint, I think plasti-dip is pretty cool.

Also agree 100% with Tbird that primer only paint jobs are dumb. Made that mistake once. Either top coat over the primer or just skip the primer if you can't be bothered to do two coats.
    MinivanRider

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I'll probably dip my car once the motors back in. That will allow me to save for the real paint job and still look decent in the meantime.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Garrett booster

I like it cause it's cheap and you can mess with color options with out spending a bunch of money trying them out

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Its pretty fun to mess with, even on new cars:

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast