Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Daytona!

Digital Daytona!

Well, ever since I put the slave CD in my 1992 IROC, the thought of having all the digital doodads has seemed like a neat idea.

So today the digital dash showed up. A big thanks goes out to Marty at Arizona parts!

Still waiting on a BCM and 6 button Traveller from a 92 LeBaron to show up, although I don't know if I'm going to use the 6 button...it appears to involve a tremendous amount of wiring. The 2 button should do just fine will for now.

Thursday I should be going yarding with TurboRon...the yard lists a 90 Imperial and hopefully it still has a complete ATC system.

After that I'll need to install the overhead console, but that should be it
    Last edited by blk86trbo; 02-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Digital Daytona!

Wow, all you need now is a flux capacitor

LOL, j/k, nice work Paul!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

what did that stereo/slave cd originate in?

boostaholic

i didnt know htey still had digi dashes after 89

Garrett booster

Alright! You got the dash! What's this about not wiring in the 6 button traveler??? You need to run 3 wires to the BCM, you can find all those wires at the dash. In fact, when you wire in the digital dash, the 3 wires you need for the BCM are going to be 3 of the wires that you will NOT wire into the digital dash. When you make your harness to adapt from analog to digital, just solder in a long length of wire for the 3 pins and run them underneath your dash to the BCM. Its no more work than wiring in your 2 button traveler was.

I'm sorry, I just realized. You have to hook up those wires ANYWAY to get the digital dash to even work. After that, you just have to hook up the pink wire on the 6 button traveler. You can piggy back off the radio.

turbo addict

Wow Paul that's going to be sweet!
    nice work

you know when i first got the ES i could have had a 90+ digi dash for $30
    i had no idea how rare they are

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    what did that stereo/slave cd originate in?
    I'm not positive, but I believe that you could get these slave CD players in the 89+ J and G bodies...

Quote Originally Posted by thefitisgay View Post
    i didnt know htey still had digi dashes after 89
    You could still get the digital dashes in 90+ LeBaron's...with a little splicing and a LeBaron BCM, they will work in the 90+ Daytona's
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zoskalon View Post
    Alright! You got the dash! What's this about not wiring in the 6 button traveler??? You need to run 3 wires to the BCM, you can find all those wires at the dash. In fact, when you wire in the digital dash, the 3 wires you need for the BCM are going to be 3 of the wires that you will NOT wire into the digital dash. When you make your harness to adapt from analog to digital, just solder in a long length of wire for the 3 pins and run them underneath your dash to the BCM. Its no more work than wiring in your 2 button traveler was.

I'm sorry, I just realized. You have to hook up those wires ANYWAY to get the digital dash to even work. After that, you just have to hook up the pink wire on the 6 button traveler. You can piggy back off the radio.
    Alright, so when are we get together and test this theory out LOL

turbo addict

Now you need to get a ATC controller and the supporting hardware and you will have the full meal deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Now you need to get a ATC controller and the supporting hardware and you will have the full meal deal.
    If things go as planned, Thursday I'll be pulling that stuff from a 1990 Chrysler Imperial

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    If things go as planned, Thursday I'll be pulling that stuff from a 1990 Chrysler Imperial
    get the air box , vac hoses , controller and wiring( pigtails if thats all you can find and the in car temp sensor.

Garrett booster

Alright, so when are we get together and test this theory out LOL
    I'm down for it! This way, if we mess anything up on your car, I'll know better when I do this to my Daytona

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I'm down for it! This way, if we mess anything up on your car, I'll know better when I do this to my Daytona

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

grab the 14" steelie looking aluminum wheels.

LOL hey now, I'm trusting your knowledge here...

Garrett booster

LOL hey now, I'm trusting your knowledge here...
    I took the utmost care when I wired in my overhead console a few weeks ago. Yet, after 1 day, my orange illumination wire shorted out to the ignition feed! I'm pretty sure that it is shorting out at the traveler (where I tapped into). I'm going to wait till it gets warmer again to fix it. Until then, people have done a good job flashing their high beams at me early on in my trips to turn my headlights on, lol. At night, when I turn the car on, all my dash lights turn on, and in the city, you can't really tell easily in front of the car whether your lights are on or not, its just instinctive to believe they're on when all the interior lights are on.

Paul,

I think you need the ATC setup from a 92-93 Imperial, or Fifth Ave. It's a totaly different set than the old 88-91 style, and it uses all electronic motors to move the blend doors, plus an ambiant light sensor on the dash. I will try to get my friend phantomrt to join the thread, he knows all about this stuff, and he just finished swapping a 6 button into his 92 Lebaron GTC. I sent him a PM, hopefully he responds.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Garrett booster

Yep, I got the entire EVIC system fully functional in my '92 Lebaron convertible. I was able to do it the easy way--I found a 1 in a million same-year car that had it, so it was only a matter of swapping all the stuff over, which included the ENTIRE wiring harness... inside, outside, underhood, etc.

Getting the digital gauges to work isn't too tough, but if you want the 6-button traveler to be fully functional, GOOD LUCK. I'll try to post more details when I get home from work tonight.

Garrett booster

So here's the deal:

I have not done the automatic climate control swap yet, though it is on the list of things to do in my Daytona. It is also getting the digital gauges. I am undecided on the EVIC project--its a LOT of butchering and doesn't gain me much functionality--the main reason I wanted the 6-button traveler is for the temperature and compass functions, which the Daytona has already in the overhead console.

In either case, the ATC setup can be installed and made fully functional in a G/J body. The ORIGINAL way to do it is to get the ATC unit from a Mexican Lebaron (the Phantom) which has black buttons on the ATC unit, whereas the ones from the imperials and stuff have chrome buttons. The next thing to get is the bezel piece from above the instrument cluster cowl--the thing you have to pop off to get the cowl off in the G/J body cars. That, also needs to come exclusively from a Phantom, or New Old Stock. This is what mounts the "sunload" sensor that tells the system to work a little harder or lighter when the sun is out.

It is my understanding that this stuff has to come from a 1992+ Imperial. The electric blend door motors and such need to be mounted and there is no real "easy" way of doing it from what I am told. Some of the parts may be able to come from the LH cars, but I am unsure of that. There will also be some ambient temperature sensors here and there.

For the digital gauges, if you have a 1992+ car, you NEED a 1992+ gauge cluster unless you've converted the car to 1991-1990 electronics. The units are physically identical, but logically different. You'll get it wired up and it won't work. Not sure if the digital gauges require a premium BCM--there is a premium body computer and a "regular" one. If you try to plug the 6-button traveler into a "regular" BCM equipped car, the chimes will just go berserk.

As far as I can tell, and based on what I think I know, there are three types of BCM's for the 1990+ G and J body cars. There is the "base" one which do functions like intermittent wipers, chimes, auto door locks, etc. Then the next "step up" are the ones that'll do the courtesy lamps, sound the chimes when you leave your turn signal on while driving. Lastly, there is the EVIC one, which is the only one that will work with the 6-button traveler. It won't even function if you don't have one of these.

This "midlevel" BCM may not even exist--I have yet to try to ground the wire that the door handle switch grounds for the courtesy lamps to see if a base model BCM will kick on the interior lamps. I can't say that I ever intentionally left my turn signal on in my (originally near-base model) Daytona to see if it sounds the chimes.

... And to give an idea of what the EVIC system needs for re-wiring....
    The node module mounted on the front bumper--it needs power, ground, data bus wires, inputs for the coolant level sensor and brake fluid level sensor. Oil level sensor is optional (available on V-6). The 6-button traveler can tell you if it is the driver or passenger door that is open, it utilizes a lamp outtage module for your tail lamps, it'll tell you that your parking brake is on while the vehicle is in motion and sounds the chimes at the same time, it'll tell you "KEYS IN IGNITION", LOW FUEL...

I'm missing a bunch. It may sound simple now, but that is only because I am forgetting some stuff.

These EVIC-equipped lebarons also have a large factory radio amplifier in the trunk on the drivers side behind the carpet....

Ask away... I know more about this than only one other person who taught me most of it.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    The ORIGINAL way to do it is to get the ATC unit from a Mexican Lebaron (the Phantom) which has black buttons on the ATC unit, whereas the ones from the imperials and stuff have chrome buttons.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast