Thread: Exhaust cackleing info.

turbo addict

Exhaust cackleing info.

My 86sc t1 car no cat and glasspack cackled and popped on decel. My srt swap no cat 2 resonators cackles and pops on decel. My 88t1 with intercooler no cat and vibrant muffler doesn't cackle or pop. It is still running on the automatic cal but I'm just wondering why this car doesn't do it when every other turbo dodge does.

turbo addict

Re: Exhaust cackleing info.

Either you have an abundance of fuel on decel or none. Usually the cals leave just enough fuel to burn in the exhaust on decel, this is why the crackle and pop. If you add more it won't do it or if you take it completely away it won't do it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Either you have an abundance of fuel on decel or none. Usually the cals leave just enough fuel to burn in the exhaust on decel, this is why the crackle and pop. If you add more it won't do it or if you take it completely away it won't do it.
    Ahh ok. The car is running rich right now because I'm running t2 injectors on a stock t1 cal so it's in the 11 or 12s afr on decel. Can't take the fuel pressure down to where it would be perfect due to it vapor locking then. The new cal should fix all that. Thanks for the info.

Hybrid booster

The Turbonator SMEC cals have the option to turn off fuel on decel. Should help fuel economy and get rid of the crackling. Personally, I love the crackle and pop, brings back memories of being around british race cars.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    The Turbonator SMEC cals have the option to turn off fuel on decel. Should help fuel economy and get rid of the crackling. Personally, I love the crackle and pop, brings back memories of being around british race cars.
    I do to. That's why i posted this up. I opened the exhaust up and was like wtf this sucks I want all kinds of noises
    Last edited by bgbmxer; 03-23-2014 at 06:03 PM.

turbo addict

see and I shut it off because of 2 reasons 1 small reason is fuel economy. 2nd is that it attracts a huge amount of attention that I don't want all the time. My kids mom was driving my tona in our downtown area when it had 2.5" straight pipe side exit. There was a crappy truck beside us at a light and our lane was ending for the bus station about 3/4's of the way down the next block. I looked at her and said "let the clutch out, floor it, pass this guy and then back off the gas" Assuming she'd shift as she backed off the gas. Well light turns green. She does what I say, Hits the rev limiter in 1st as she moves over in front of the guy and let just dumps the throttle. The pops and crackles ricocheting off the buildings sounded like gun fire. The 100+ people standing at the bus station hit the deck hard! I was laughing hysterically but then i was only 23. Now I want to be fast but stealthy as I get older and don't need the cops surrounding me from all sides because there is some loud a$$ car ripping through the hills on his favorite road through the multi-million dollar homes. Yea take that Orange County Sheriffs. miss me miss me........

turbo addict

I have never been pulled over for being to loud here in pa. My srt swap is loud and cackles like a srt does. My charger was no car with glasspack side exit and this shadow is no cat and straight thru vibrant muffler. I don't drive like a mad man most of the time but its gotta have that nasty sound which I love. I have however been pulled over for lights and tint.

boostaholic

Crispy bacon for your ears.

I've noticed that I can leave my foot at like 2% throttle and it stops the cackle. Good trick when CHP is next to you.
    MinivanRider