Thread: Daytona Removable Rear Tower Brace

boostaholic

Daytona Removable Rear Tower Brace

I have a 92 Daytona IROC R/T that I am planning to autocross this year and one an earlier post a guy talked about adding a rear tower brace to the Daytona as a good thing. The guy said this:

As for the rear I do recommend it greatly. It helps exponentially more than the front one does. I have mine attached at the rear seat latches then triangulated into the rear seat bolts. It's removable but because it's right up against the rear seats it's never in the way unless I have to have something that requires the rear seats down. That being said I've never removed it. The car is night and day better at cornering, hitting bumps while cornering and the ride in general is worlds better, especially for any rear seat passengers. I can jack up a rear corner of the car, set a jack stand under that corner and open and close all the doors and hatch like the car was sitting flat on the ground. The rear seat latches are directly above the spring perches so all the force from the springs when you hit a bump is transmitted directly up to the brace.

So my question is, has anyone built one or have pictures of one installed or have some input on if this will really help? I am up to building a rear brace, but some insight would really help. I know of a couple of other guys that have also looked into this for their Daytona's and are interested.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Daytona Removable Rear Tower Brace

Do you have a link to the thread?

Hybrid booster

That was Jay's comment (glhnslht2). I believe he sokd the car before he got pics. Yes that will help immensely. Just pull the rear seat, pull the seat latch covers, and go to town. I imagine if you used tubes with holes for pins you could click the x member into place for an auto x race. Basically itll look like a bar with a triangle going from it to the seat bolt hold downs.

boostaholic

Is the rear of these cars that weak, I would believe that a unibody car would be stiff in the rear, but if that is the case I may start building something that I can install when racing.

Hybrid booster

The problem lies from the front subframe not being connected to the rear, i would think. They arent one continuous frome rail from front to back. So I could see that as being the root cause

turbo addict

boostaholic

GLHNSLHT2, Thanks you for posting this picture, helps explain your brace. How did you attach this mount to the car, does it bolt in behind the seat loop latches or does it have a slot to fit over the latches, I have everything else figured out, I am just not sure how you attached it there. Thanks

I also never knew why my seats had those loops on the back, now I know what goes there and what I am missing, never seen that cargo net before.

turbo addict

yea this was version 2.0 back when I was 20ish so all we had were a dremel, a drill and access to material from Homie Depot. But yep they attach behind the latches. Maybe now that I have the resources I should make some CNC'd brackets instead. Guess it depends on my ambition to do so. It's not the prettiest brace out there but damn does it work the best IMO.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    The problem lies from the front subframe not being connected to the rear, i would think. They arent one continuous frome rail from front to back. So I could see that as being the root cause
    I'll go more off of this comment. If you can't afford a cage or want something stealthy to strengthen up the body flex you could always cross brace the front and rear frame. Excuse the stick drawing but this should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I did this to an omni. I used tubing for the actual X and then square tubing for the straights.

\/
    I I
    /\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]