Thread: I've been thinking...

Hybrid booster

I've been thinking...

Of her!

Nha, seriously.
    I am wondering if I should sell my car or not.

As of now, I'm in the process of getting a '89TI long block from a previous L-body that had that swapped 15 years ago.
    I do get the '89 electronics at the same time.
    Since that engine was sitting for that long in a shed with the humidity, the winter, etc. it will need an engine overhaul.
    Not planning to do a full rebuilt but I would at least change the gasket, the valve seal, the valve spring, the water pump and would check the ring, etc.
    That engine had low mileage and was filled, with oil, to the cork before it was put away.

I will convert that engine to be intercooled.

Things I have:

-2 piece intake.
    -A568 big shaft tranny
    -T2-T3 clutch
    -A nice turbo with the 3'' exit ...

What I am missing:

-The oil and water line (New)
    -'89-90 Auto driveaxles
    -Modified smec
    -an OBX
    -TU manifold
    -Custom 3'' exhaust system

What I found myself questionning is, I found a complet '08 CSRT4 swap for $1500. It wouldn't go straight in the car but I would put the effort of putting the engine as is in and I would like to keep the 6 speed that come with. ECM is not frightening me. Axles can be customized so that is not a big deal either.
    I'm just questionning of what to do.
    With that engine in, I wouldn't need to add more hp since I considered it fast enough as is in my Caliber (since I have one). I just can't imagine that package in the L-body...

I don't want to destroy the car too much but I already did modified the hole on top of the strut tower to add camber plate...
    I want to keep some originality without going ''all race'' so keeping the 8v would keep me in the right direction but the CSRT4 engine is so tempting and it bring a big grin in my face everytime I press down in the Caliber.
    Can I bring my 2.5T in some way close to what the CSRT4 would without spending let's see, $5k?
    For sure, an intercooled 2.5T close to 220hp would certainly bring a big smile vs the stock 2.2T that has probably has seen better days.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: I've been thinking...

I used to have an '89 TI engine in my Omni GLH. I got it from a beater Caravan with high miles and did most of the swap with parts from the Caravan including the wiring and SMEC. It was hella fun to drive, even though it didn't make the greatest power. I think it made 198 WHP and 270 WTQ on a Dynojet with 14 psi. I also had 3" exhaust and a big NPR intercooler on it.

I like the idea of swapping the CSRT drivetrain into the L-body. Like you, I have a big smile on my face every time I put my foot into it on my own CSRT, and it is still pretty much stock. $1500 sounds like a great deal if you're getting everything to do the swap.

I don't think you'll be able to get the performance of the TI engine up to the level of the Caliber without spending a lot of money. Even then, I don't think it would be as reliable either. On the other hand, with the CSRT swap, you'll have to get motor mounts fabricated, and I'm not sure if the CSRT's 6-speed manual will fit in the L-body without custom driveshafts and K-frame mods. And then there is the electronics and wiring. Do you plan to get all of the CSRT electronics working on the L-body? That sounds like a nightmare to me because of the CAN bus and all of the modules (cluster etc..) to talk to each other.

I've heard that the variable valve timing works based on oil pressure, so that should still work, but I would look into something like Megasquirt and using a conventional cable driven throttle body if it were me. I've not done much research into this though...if a CSRT drivetrain showed up locally for sale I would be looking into it for sure! You'd be the first to go down this road..