Thread: 86 Shelby Charger - lowering/wheel sizes/brake options

Hybrid booster

86 Shelby Charger - lowering/wheel sizes/brake options

I have so many questions! I'm hoping for some good advice. Basically I want to lower my 86 Shelby charger, convert to rear disc, and get some aftermarket wheels. How much should I lower the car and how do I go about it on a budget? What size rims/tires would look good? I'm thinking 16 inch rims would look nice with the car lowered, what size tires would look/fit good without rubbing? Lastly, how do I go about converting to rear disc brakes? There are not a lot of turbo dodges in the junkyards down here so could I uses neon or stratus parts? Please give me feedback! Oh yea, I'm going strictly for looks really. Id be fine with non vented rear discs.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 86 Shelby Charger - lowering/wheel sizes/brake options

You should be able to scrounge up a set of 10.5" non-vented disks on the for sale section quite easily. If you're all about looks you can't go wrong with a 17" wheel on an L body. Check out minigts' GLHS 937 in the project section. It looks about as awesome as it gets. I do know that we rolled the rear quarter lips to get them not to rub. Not too cheap of a wheel option either, but it'll give you an idea of what can be done.

turbo addict

Alot of the 90 and up dodges had front and rear disc brakes like lebaron gtcs and cars like that. Grab the whole brake system from the master cylinder to the calipers and spindles. It all works together don't try mixing and maching proportioning valves and such. The spindles can be modified also to fit the l body struts and then you can get bolt in wheel bearings also. The brake stuff literally bolts on but make sure to get backing plate and all. Also will need the metal brackets that hold the brake hoses to the rear discs on the swing arm. I have a decent write up on this swap into a 86 Shelby charger in the project log it's 86sc auto/track car or something. Another thing you will need at least 16 inch wheels to clear calipers if your running the setup like I am

You could covert to 5x4.5 and then your options open up. You'd need to go with the 90 or 91 spindles that have the bolt in hubs. There is a write up in the KB that goes over it, but if you have any questions just let me know. The conversion cost me about $100 in machining and under $100 for the rear brakes. I think total I probably have around $400 that includes the hubs, brakes and all the tools and machining I needed to get it done.

17x8 with a 35 ET will fit, you can run a 225/35 and it will not rub and it will clear the fenders, front and rear. I had to roll mine because I think the rear spindle wasn't cut down enough, but MAYBE you would need to roll the lip a tad. I know with the 48 ET wheels I did not have to roll the rear fenders, but the wheel was hitting the tranny.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]