Thread: propane based refrigerant

turbo addict

propane based refrigerant

Anyone using this stuff?

turbo addict

Re: propane based refrigerant

Brand?

I have used Eviro-Safe and it works great.
    (not sure what it is made from)
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

As a general statement, I would not be afraid of using it. Back when I was in college (at Purdue) the guy that invented the first propane R12 replacement (ghg-12) talked about some of the testing he did with it to prove (at least to himself) that it was not "flammable" ( everything flammable if you get it hot enough...) He created a significant "leak" and then tried to light it with a bic lighter and couldn't. I believe he found the most "flammable" part of the mix was the oil, same oil that is in an R-12 system...

turbo addict

Can you even get that stuff in the 'States? I know in Canada they have it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=enviro...d=605344011023

I bought a case, and plan to re-charge the A/C in the wagon with it, from my research, it seems to be a really good choice of refrigerant, from an engineering standpoint, not so much from a profit generating stantpoint, which is why it's been maligned as dangerous, just as it was back when DuPont campaigned against it, saying its R12 (Freon) was a much safer alternative...

Funny how when the patent on Freon went away it became "evil"/ozone killer, but it just so happened that DuPont had a replacement ready to go (R134a), who's patent has expired also, and wouldn't you know it? R-134a is also considered "evil"/dangerous to the environment..., but don't fear, I'm sure DuPont has another "better" replacement on deck!

As a side note, for some reason, this stuff isn't "ok'd" as a replacement for R-12, but is for R-134a, which means to use it, you'll have to install the 134a conversion ports, no need to change/flush the oil out, this stuff is compatible with the existing oil, and the 134a oils as well (IIRC).

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

I bought a case, and plan to re-charge the A/C in the wagon with it, from my research, it seems to be a really good choice of refrigerant, from an engineering standpoint, not so much from a profit generating stantpoint, which is why it's been maligned as dangerous, just as it was back when DuPont campaigned against it, saying its R12 (Freon) was a much safer alternative...

Funny how when the patent on Freon went away it became "evil"/ozone killer, but it just so happened that DuPont had a replacement ready to go (R134a), who's patent has expired also, and wouldn't you know it? R-134a is also considered "evil"/dangerous to the environment..., but don't fear, I'm sure DuPont has another "better" replacement on deck!

As a side note, for some reason, this stuff isn't "ok'd" as a replacement for R-12, but is for R-134a, which means to use it, you'll have to install the 134a conversion ports, no need to change/flush the oil out, this stuff is compatible with the existing oil, and the 134a oils as well (IIRC).

Mike
    The reason its not listed for r12 replacement has to do with the testing required to certify. I found a thread on slant six where enviro safe spells it all out in response to some bashing on there. I am going to order either duracool or the enviro safe for my wagon. Thanks for the info!

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

I have been running Duracool in my CSX for close to 10 years now and have installed it in two other T-Ms and a few 134a cars and it works great. Lower high-side pressures than R134a (less load on compressor and engine), and cools much better.

Other advantages of hydrocarbon-based refrigerants:
    1. Larger molecule size = slower leakage
    2. Mercaptan (rotten egg smell) added to give odor indication so you can smell when you have a leak
    3. Flash point of Duracool is higher than 134a (not sure about others), and as Ed mentioned above, the lubricating oil in the system is more flammable than the refrigerant.
    4. Doesn't turn into an acid when exposed to water, so it doesn't corrode A/C system components.
    5. Less refrigerant required in system (less flammable gas overall) 6 oz of Duracool = 17 oz R12 or 15oz of R134a

As you can probably guess, I highly recommend it
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

Mike

There are a few replacements on the way from what I know. I forget what I was told is another alternative that's close to 12. I think it was 404b? I got lucky and had a buddy with a jug of 12 still.

turbo addict

I tried EnviroSafe but I got the best results when I updated my compressor and H-Block to ones made for R134 and had it charged professionally. Unfortunately, I changed too many things to know which part made the difference (H-Block, compressor, refrigerant). I do know that the next time I need a compressor I'll be headed to the JY rather than getting a rebuild. My JY compressor has lasted far longer than any rebuilt compressor I've ever had.

turbo addict

I have upgraded the condenser to the later header style used with 134a. I am also going to use the drier from a later model imperial since it uses a compression style fitting as opposed to the leak prone flat plate with a single bolt. Have a new evaporator to install as well and have been on the fence about replacing the compressor while I'm at it. Anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a new compressor? I was thinking of 4 seasons.

turbo addict

I think it's funny how a gas that is heavier than air and is degraded by naturally occuring bacteria is harmful to the ozone. It doesn't go up, is goes down! Science FTW! It is also interesting as has been pointed out how the changing of the guard for these refigerants just so happens to coincide with patents and such.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I was going to go back with R-134a when I get all the a/c installed back on Mini. But I had heard alot about duracool. Sounds like I might opt for that instead. Without having much if any insulation in Mini, more cooling capacity would be helpful!

Thanks for the tip!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I used it in my truck just fine (might still be in there) and my jeep