Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel pump/relay upgrade wiring

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Fuel pump/relay upgrade wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    The SRT4 has a regulator in the top of the fuel pump hanger. It's a specific rate regulator, set at 58psi. A lot of those guys will use an aftermarket regulator and set up a return line when they start putting down some power and need more fuel.
    So how do they overcome the increased pressure on the manifold side at higher boost? I'm assuming the reg in the tank isn't boost referenced? Supermarket ads like Meijer Ad can help you with saving on fuel.
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 12:49 PM.

boostaholic

Finished my install last night, here is the finished product and a diagram that I found and copied for the wiring.

The only changes I made from this was to ground Pin 85 and the fuel pump ground to a common ground location.
    The purple wire in the diagram is to be the green wire found in the stock fuel pump wiring harness.
    I soldered all connections and then used a layer of electrical tape and then a layer of friction tape. I tucked the 30 amp relay up high and out of the way, hopefully away from the moisture. The main power wire from the batter to the relay is 10 Gauge the ground on the fuel pump is also 10 Gauge. The short length of wire from the relay to the pump is 12 gauge

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    So how do they overcome the increased pressure on the manifold side at higher boost? I'm assuming the reg in the tank isn't boost referenced?
    It's all done with pulsewidth. Only the stage 3 kits had boost referenced fuel pressure.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It's all done with pulsewidth. Only the stage 3 kits had boost referenced fuel pressure.
    Wow, that's some serious PWM action.

turbo addict

Here's the mods I made for the wiring. I upgraded the feed/return to 3/8 ss tubing. Using a 330 lph walbro pump.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

What model year of car did that sender come out of Wallace? We're working on a '91 Spirit R/T and it has the later style sender with the removable plastic plug for the electrical terminal. Unfortunately the wiring/terminals get really small right there so I'm not sure how we can get over that and still be able to seal. I have already had a radiator shop braze in S/S 3/8" tube pretty much just like you did on yours. Looks good.

Hybrid booster

Wallace, did you use any sealant on that? I do like that setup, I just can't help but to imagine the bolts shorting out on the hanger itself.

turbo addict

The sender out of a 87 t&c. I used a holley float gasket for the rectangular pump wiring gasket cut to fit. I reused the sending unit gasket as it was in good condition. I verified the terminals are not touching the housing I don't believe that will be a problem.

My friend completed the fuel pump rewire/upgrade on the Spirit R/T last weekend. I was not able to help out, but he told me he opted to use a solenoid instead of a relay. I haven't heard of anybody using a solenoid to do this before but he says it works..

I took the car for a drive tonight since the new owner has done the fuel pump rewire. Holy crap this car hauls ---. It is still dialed into ~20 psi at WOT, but the WB02 A/F ratio stayed in the high 11s and just touched on 12.0 while I had it buried in fourth gear. DAYUM I've gotta get my own Spirit R/T running again!!!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Finished my install last night, here is the finished product and a diagram that I found and copied for the wiring.

The only changes I made from this was to ground Pin 85 and the fuel pump ground to a common ground location.
    The purple wire in the diagram is to be the green wire found in the stock fuel pump wiring harness.
    I soldered all connections and then used a layer of electrical tape and then a layer of friction tape. I tucked the 30 amp relay up high and out of the way, hopefully away from the moisture. The main power wire from the batter to the relay is 10 Gauge the ground on the fuel pump is also 10 Gauge. The short length of wire from the relay to the pump is 12 gauge
    One more thing to note on my install, last night I went to the store and picked up some balloons, I took and wrapped a balloon tightly around my relay and pushed the end of the balloon far down the wires, the relay is essentially water resistant now.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    One more thing to note on my install, last night I went to the store and picked up some balloons, I took and wrapped a balloon tightly around my relay and pushed the end of the balloon far down the wires, the relay is essentially water resistant now.
    In the picture shouldn't the fused side be on 30 and load on 87?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12