Thread: sinking brake pedal?

boostaholic

sinking brake pedal?

Very odd. Sitting car off the brake pedal is rock solid. Sit at a light pressing pedal and can hear a vacuum hiss and the pedal starts to go to the floor.

What gives?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: sinking brake pedal?

Sounds to me like your booster has a leak.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you hold the pressure on the pedal will it sink all the way to the floor? It sounds like you may have something going on with the booster, but it also sounds like you may have a bad MC.

turbo addict

master cylinder internal leak. +1
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

I thought master cylinder as well..but why is it solid when sitting with the car off? Would it not leak then too?

It does sink near to the floor. Drove the STI and tried it...sti does it too to a certain extent just not as bad.

turbo addict

i dont know, but you should be able to stand on it without it sinking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-02-01_151911_2009-09-21_160922.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	49345

found this on google images. I figure this is happening.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

would be just fine with it being the master cylinder. less excited about it being a booster. I found a aluminum master cylinder for the omni that has mini van brakes on the front.
    Would that master cylinder work on the front of the lancer shelby or too much master cylinder?

Hybrid booster

With the car off, you have no power assist. A sinking pedal, or one that doesnt pump up with the car off, is usually a sign of a leaking or bad booster. You have to remember the booster adds approx 1000 lbs of pressure to the system when you push on it. So with the car on, and the pedal going to the floor, it sounds like a master cyl leak.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    would be just fine with it being the master cylinder. less excited about it being a booster. I found a aluminum master cylinder for the omni that has mini van brakes on the front.
    Would that master cylinder work on the front of the lancer shelby or too much master cylinder?
    Depends on which master cylinder is on the omni. L-bodies came standard with the smaller 7/8" bore master cylinder. Most, if not all the other body styles had the larger 24mm bore master. You definitely don't want the small bore on the bigger car. Look at the casting, IIRC, the small bore has a "7" on it, and the bigger bore has a "4" on it.

boostaholic

Well the omni is getting SLH Brakes so that requires a bigger master cylinder. Its yet to be installed and its aluminum so that is why its high on the list of candidates. Being the omni has a ton of work left I could just put the SLH's on the lancer and the new master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Depends on which master cylinder is on the omni. L-bodies came standard with the smaller 7/8" bore master cylinder. Most, if not all the other body styles had the larger 24mm bore master. You definitely don't want the small bore on the bigger car. Look at the casting, IIRC, the small bore has a "7" on it, and the bigger bore has a "4" on it.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the detail. Amazing how well that air over hydraulics works.

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    With the car off, you have no power assist. A sinking pedal, or one that doesnt pump up with the car off, is usually a sign of a leaking or bad booster. You have to remember the booster adds approx 1000 lbs of pressure to the system when you push on it. So with the car on, and the pedal going to the floor, it sounds like a master cyl leak.

boostaholic

Replaced all rubber hoses, rear cylinders yesterday. Pedal went to the floor worse after that. The rear hoses had collapsed and almost no fluid would go through them. So today I replaced the master cylinder and the pedal is solid as a rock now!!! Awesome.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to hear that you fixed it before it became a real problem.

boostaholic

I cant get over how solid that brake pedal feels now. I even started a thread asking if I was bottoming it out...its that freakin solid.
    The best part of the job is using a motive products pressure bleeder. Best money ever spent there!

boostaholic

Turns out this brake pedal still hisses in this car. Must be the booster. Ordered a vacuum pump to test its integrity.