Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noooooo!

turbo addict

Re: Noooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    This begs the question....did Warren make a Consulier or Mosler without a turbo ? Off the top of my head I can't recall one.
    Raptor was N/A V8, M900S could be had N/A.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I have no idea what that is…………..

- - - Updated - - -

If I was to do a V6…it would be the one from the new Mopars, the 3.6 with 290HP in stock form.
    It has two big Cat's after the exhaust manifolds….a perfect replacement for those would be two turbo's.
    That would scream or break, but it would be fun to try!

- - - Updated - - -

This 3.6 brings my Avenger 0 to 60 in 6.1 which weighs 1000 pounds more than a Consulier.
    So in stock form without turbos it should do pretty well.
    Not bashing those MOPAR engines at all. They are great engines in their own right, but they do not have a manual gearbox to back them, and very little (if any) aftermarket support. I can almost guaranty that they weigh more than the VQ35. I'm still failing to see why this combination is bad. There could be better ones, but thus far the options suggested have some shortcoming when compared against each other.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    I had also been thinking a fwd pentastar 3.6 would be pretty sweet.. Similar to that VQ but more 'appropriate.'

The K motor is a honda. Back when the first atoms were available in the US, they had K power. I thought about one, IIRC I specced out a stripper at under $35k.
    hmm, I was thinking ka24 n/a instead!

but really, I don't see any proof that the engine or transmission is really fitted to the car so to me its just a way to try to trick somebody to pay more then they should. Nobody wants a 3.5 vq except maxima guys and nobody wants a maxima FWD transmission except...Maxima guys who broke another one. I would put in a VQ before a new chrysler v6 but I know they are not strong motors from the factory. Pencil rods. Aftermarket, yes, lots of stuff available.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Is there a manual trans available that mates to the pentastar?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Yes, jeep uses one, but it is front engine, rear drive.
    The 6 speed trans auto in the Avenger can be shifted like a stick. Heck, new super cars use the same idea.
    They call it paddle shifting.

- - - Updated - - -

Current bid:
    Wonder if it sells. $1,136.00 Reserve not met
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

I wouldn't think it would sell unless reserve is $2000. But from the sellers own description it appears as it he thinks it's a gold mine

boostaholic

I was thinking $2k too..

The cheapskate in me would love a skyactiv 6spd manual in one of these.. does 30/40 in the 3000 pound mazda.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    hmm, I was thinking ka24 n/a instead!

but really, I don't see any proof that the engine or transmission is really fitted to the car so to me its just a way to try to trick somebody to pay more then they should. Nobody wants a 3.5 vq except maxima guys and nobody wants a maxima FWD transmission except...Maxima guys who broke another one. I would put in a VQ before a new chrysler v6 but I know they are not strong motors from the factory. Pencil rods. Aftermarket, yes, lots of stuff available.
    LOL Any time I see "K" with "24" I automatically think about the old Nissan engine! I keep forgetting about the newer Honda "K" engines.

Brent, just curious here, why wouldn't people want the VQ35? Yes, the VQ37 is a better engine (more power, stronger, lighter, more revs), but if you can get the VQ35 for cheaper and still attain nearly the same goal...I dunno, that's a tough call. Depends on budget and what somebody would be willing to compromise on. I might have missed something with the VQ35, but from my research (which admittedly needs some more attention) I haven't found any reason to discount that engine for performance or swaps.

As for the Maxima tranny...well, yeah, I don't know squat! LOL I would think that by sticking a stock drivetrain in a car that is half the weight of what it came out of that the life expectancy when driven hard would be much improved. Of course there are always the exceptions....

Hybrid booster

made a bid to watch the price, I do not believe it Would have the following that it does now if it wasn't for the turbo Mopar guys

turbo addict

Be careful doing that. That's how I ( and eventually Chris) came to own the last white one on eBay

Hybrid booster

there is no doubt that I am going to own one, the question is which one.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Millerman340 View Post
    there is no doubt that I am going to own one, the question is which one.
    One will pop up. I personally would never buy a incomplete Consulier. Johnny's was close to finished with only a few parts missing and ask him how difficult it's been. Dave Scarab bought a real project and I'm waiting till he parts it so I can buy the windshield haha

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I wouldn't go with a V6 for the simple weight factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    LOL Any time I see "K" with "24" I automatically think about the old Nissan engine! I keep forgetting about the newer Honda "K" engines.

Brent, just curious here, why wouldn't people want the VQ35? Yes, the VQ37 is a better engine (more power, stronger, lighter, more revs), but if you can get the VQ35 for cheaper and still attain nearly the same goal...I dunno, that's a tough call. Depends on budget and what somebody would be willing to compromise on. I might have missed something with the VQ35, but from my research (which admittedly needs some more attention) I haven't found any reason to discount that engine for performance or swaps.

As for the Maxima tranny...well, yeah, I don't know squat! LOL I would think that by sticking a stock drivetrain in a car that is half the weight of what it came out of that the life expectancy when driven hard would be much improved. Of course there are always the exceptions....
    Well I am just poking fun at the VQ's but the 3.5 is a desirable swap for 3.0 vq30 maximas. There are probably so many 350z's out there getting wrecked that there are more then enough engines out there to support the few who want one.

You definitely need to upgrade the internals.
    6g72 vs vq30 rods
    BTW I don't know where the idea came that these engines are light weight. I would say it weighed as much as an assembled Iron block 6g72.
    BTW, timing chain FTL. The engine below did handle 17psi boost for quite awhile so people do need to understand that cast pistons are the real fuse in these and any of the good import 6's but if you have a good tune it will survive. That means spending money on tuning solutions rather then running it like a mobile scrap heap. The above cast piston would also probably have survived if it had larger ring gaps.
    I think there are a lot of other creative motors to install. Probably no room but a horizontally opposed engine sounds like a fun way to lower the center of gravity.

Last edited by Ondonti; 03-19-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Yay for interwebz making things confusing! Which engines are you comparing for weight? I fully admit that I've really never looked all that hard at overall engine weights, but from the little bit I did look at, 330# for a fully dressed V6 is pretty darn good. I really don't have a baseline beyong that I know the PRV 2.8/3.0 (DeLorean/Eagle Premier engine) is around that same weight and the LS1 is heavier.

Just ballparking for a TM 2.2: block=100, crank=45(forged), other internals=10, dressed head(with intake, exhaust, and turbo)=60, external accessories(A/C, PS, hoses, pullies...)=40. Right there you are touching 250 and I'm probably off on the ligher side.

Hybrid booster

I've been talking to the owner of this car outside of eBay. He has worked on a few Consuliers &MT900 .... you would be surprised if you really knew who it is. I was not a fan of the engine but doing some research myself it would make a Nice sounding & fast car when finished...

turbo addict

Has worked on a few eh? So he is a car builder in Florida? Are you under oath not to divulge names? Im going with First name Eugene or Joel. But not Eugene Joel

Do tell

Hybrid booster

James Wagner. ..

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Has worked on a few eh? So he is a car builder in Florida? Are you under oath not to divulge names? Im going with First name Eugene or Joel. But not Eugene Joel

Do tell
    Either one of those came to my mind as well...guess we were both off! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Millerman340 View Post
    I've been talking to the owner of this car outside of eBay. He has worked on a few Consuliers &MT900 .... you would be surprised if you really knew who it is. I was not a fan of the engine but doing some research myself it would make a Nice sounding & fast car when finished...
    Well unless you want to get the car from him for a deal off ebay, tell him to put in some pictures of the mounting points and installation of the engine/transmission because his Ad seems very hoaxy.

Hybrid booster

Wasn't James the head engineer for Mosler back in the day? Thought there was some falling out between him and Warren...
    If it really is him, I'd be REALLY interested in what's been done to the car and the reasoning behind it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast