Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noooooo!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Noooooo!

Ugh.
    Way to ruin a potentially good Consulier project.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=331152100561
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Noooooo!

Pretty cool! I think the VQ is probably one of the best sounding V6's out there. There is a good deal of aftermarket support for them too. Not a bad choice.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

They can twin turbo a V6 and get 450 hp, lol. Guess they don't know about the turbo mopar 2.2 achieving 450 HP with less investment and weight.

Great Parts car for someone in need. Wait does it have a windshield?

It looks like it's only $40,000 away from being a $15,000 car.

Copying the description for future reference:

The Consuliers won so many races including the 'One Lap of America' three times, that the cars were banned from most events. That's how good these cars were. The cars had swoopy looks, but some details (the square headlights in particular) often led people to say they were ugly. Thus only 82 were ever built. This is my second Consulier, and I can say definitively that the cars are absolutely spectacular to drive (I have a 2004 Porsche Turbo, and the Consulier handled much better!!!).

I have extensively updated the look of the car with Mosler MT900s headlight buckets, round taillights (replacing the station-wagon lights that came standard) and doing a few other things to make this into a potentially amazing-looking (and outrageously fast) supercar.

When completed, this car will go toe-to-toe with a Radical track car. This is the latest/best Consulier GTP (later became Mosler) with all-composite body and chassis with chromoly subframes to carry the suspension and engine. The car has been modified extensively with both radiators and intercoolers for a single turbo that will bring the power to 450hp.

The power-to-weight ratio will be better than a Lamborghini Aventador after the turbo is installed. This package doesn't include the turbo; only the fitted intercooler for the turbo.

The engine is a 2004 Nissan 3.5L making 300hp with a transverse 6-speed transmission. The engine has tubular headers (brand new) and modified intake to bring air in from the intercooler. There is a rear mounted radiator that sits right next to the rear-mounted intercooler. All of this custom work was done to the highest level.

The chassis and shocks are all BRAND NEW. This Consulier has never been driven. The car currently doesn't have a VIN number on it (this is the last Consulier that the factory built and it wasn't completed), so it will have to be titled as a kit car when it is completed.

boostaholic

Looks like they started with a bare chassis, didn't ruin a completed car. I'm sure its a decent motor but VQ's sound like poop.

I want to see it with the MT900 lights on there! I'm glad to see it didnt get trashed, is this one of the ones out back in the pile?
    MinivanRider

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

It sounds like one of the "never completed" cars that was for sale as a partial. And sounds like one of the ones I was talking to Mike about before he was replaced.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

I don't think it ruined the car, really. If it's completed correctly it will probably be pretty darn awesome!

The VQ engines are pretty light. I think I remember finding out that a fully dressed one (accessories and all) is around 330#. I know it's lighter than a LS1 (which I keep hearing from those fans is "SOOO light!").

As far as the way it sounds...I know that's a personal taste, but I think with the right exhaust it has one of the best exhaust notes out there. Especially for an engine that comes in cars that mere mortals can afford.

As pointed out, there's pretty good aftermarket support for them, too. Yes, our engines can make good power and we do have support (from basically 3 places), but they are outdated, and lets be honest, when you start to make that much power from our engines they can be temperamental. If I had to choose an engine to stick into a car like this, the VQ is very high on the list of potentials. It's actually the engine I would like to swap into a DeLorean someday (it's already been done successfully).

turbo addict

And fully dressed (all accessories) ls1 is around 460 lbs. Pretty light considering it is a V8.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like it!

turbo addict

Looks like a series 2.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I like it!
    2015 challenge car !

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

American car needs American engine, IMO. Some variant of the original Mopar or a nice LS.
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

Looks like a lot of work to complete with all the missing parts. I'd still love to pick one up but can't really dig any deeper into the pockets this year already . Plus no title and wisconsin is a ----- about kit car titles although since there was a consulier GTP built you could probably do it. I talked with a guy last year that has a Factory Five GTM kit car and couldn't get it titled in Wisconsin because the car doesn't represent an actual car. What that matters I don't know but he has it titled through another state and a PO box or something like that.

Hybrid booster

Watching the price as a guide on a project such as this. .

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I don't think it ruined the car, really. If it's completed correctly it will probably be pretty darn awesome!

The VQ engines are pretty light. I think I remember finding out that a fully dressed one (accessories and all) is around 330#. I know it's lighter than a LS1 (which I keep hearing from those fans is "SOOO light!").

As far as the way it sounds...I know that's a personal taste, but I think with the right exhaust it has one of the best exhaust notes out there. Especially for an engine that comes in cars that mere mortals can afford.

As pointed out, there's pretty good aftermarket support for them, too. Yes, our engines can make good power and we do have support (from basically 3 places), but they are outdated, and lets be honest, when you start to make that much power from our engines they can be temperamental. If I had to choose an engine to stick into a car like this, the VQ is very high on the list of potentials. It's actually the engine I would like to swap into a DeLorean someday (it's already been done successfully).
    Add to that... I would think all other things being equal, for a track car, I would rather have a 330hp nearly stock V6 than a 330hp 4 cylinder turbo, just from a perspective of wider powerband and possible turbo heat soak over extended sessions.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Yea but what's the torque on that v6? Turbo Mopar at 330 hp gets you say....360 torque. That's nice to have. Not all tracks are Daytona or LeMans

turbo addict

Torque for that engine is 250-275ftlb (maybe higher since they are specing it at 330hp) and flat as a pancake from 3000rpm to redline (seems to be around 7k from what I can find). For a car like this that should be plenty to have a lot of fun and be pretty darn quick. I understand the stance that it's an import engine because most of us are primarily fans of US domestic stuff. However I think it's naive to dismiss it just because of that.

We wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't like turbo's. I like them. We all know that used correctly they can be reliable and make a lot of power and have a good powerband. I just don't think that saying an engine is the wrong tool for the job simply based on where it was designed or that it's not turbocharged or how it sounds is "fair" (for lack of a better way to put it at the moment).

boostaholic

I'm going n/a K24! *ducks*
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

This begs the question....did Warren make a Consulier or Mosler without a turbo ? Off the top of my head I can't recall one.

turbo addict

I'm going n/a K24!
    I have no idea what that is…………..

- - - Updated - - -

If I was to do a V6…it would be the one from the new Mopars, the 3.6 with 290HP in stock form.
    It has two big Cat's after the exhaust manifolds….a perfect replacement for those would be two turbo's.
    That would scream or break, but it would be fun to try!

- - - Updated - - -

This 3.6 brings my Avenger 0 to 60 in 6.1 which weighs 1000 pounds more than a Consulier.
    So in stock form without turbos it should do pretty well.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

I had also been thinking a fwd pentastar 3.6 would be pretty sweet.. Similar to that VQ but more 'appropriate.'

The K motor is a honda. Back when the first atoms were available in the US, they had K power. I thought about one, IIRC I specced out a stripper at under $35k.
    MinivanRider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast