Thread: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z CS front strut coil springs

Mitsu booster

1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z CS front strut coil springs

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and it looks Great I recently purchased a 1986 Dodge Daytona turbo Z CS edition. Well I'm trying to get this bad boy back on the road I don't need much to get it back and going but I've purchased the original shocks and struts but the previous owner cut the front coil springs down to nothing (probably why the two piece CV axle blew apart passenger side) but I can't find the correct coil springs for it any where does anyone know were I can find a set of these? I heard that the 85/86 Chrysler Laser XT and only the XT will work but those seem harder to find than the 86 CS bought. Help please I'm in a holding pattern

Thank
    Loncold

turbo addict

Re: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z CS front strut coil springs

You can use shelby z springs for the correct spring rate as well. I believe rock auto sells springs as well.

Btw welcome to the forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

boostaholic

Pics please or it didnt happen. I also have an 86 CS.

Mitsu booster

85boost, I was told that even the Turbo Z springs from an 86 will not work only the CS version spring will fit

boostaholic

They all fit, Its just the spring rates are different. From what I understand, Only the L body springs dont fit. Even a caravan spring is supposed to fit. The CS is supposed to have upgraded springs and shocks, bigger sway.

Mitsu booster

clocktowersniper, Thanks I'll get on rockauto and order a set for a 86 Turbo Z. I'll keep you posted

Thanks again,
    Locold

boostaholic

Keep in mind they will fit fine BUT are a different spring rate. Also keep in mind that new springs will actually lift your car. I think you said yours were cut so this wont really matter to you. I cant tell ya how many times I have seen people complain after replacing springs that their cars were higher even when installing lowering springs. 30 year old springs sag. Im not sure how low yours is now but if you look at pics of mine you can see how low mine sits.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site.

To be honest, I'm not sure that there is really that much of a difference in spring rates in the aftermarket stuff being made these days. I've never noticed any difference personally. As mentioned, they'll all fit.

boostaholic

Exactly right. Unless you go for a progressive rate spring like an Eibach or something. Really, the only reason to find the exact spring is if you wanted a 100% correct resto.

turbo addict

Loncold, were you in Everett recently? I met a guy here a few weeks ago that had just bought an '86 Turbo Z around the corner from my house. Nice looking car.

Anyway, I agree that you want to be careful with aftermarket replacement springs. If you need to replace the springs, try to find the Eibach springs. If you don't cut them they will make the car sit at stock height. If you do go that route, I highly suggest finding good struts and shocks. There are several options you can adapt to our cars for this as the bolt-on Koni's are difficult to find.

Hybrid booster

86 CS is the same as Shelby Z, so you should be able to find a set of the springs.

Mitsu booster

Reaper1, I actually bought this car in Bothell, WA last last March. Iwill look into the Eibach springs and no I will not cut them. Once I find out how in the world to post pics I'll attach a couple of the car

Thanks,
    Loncold

turbo addict

I kind of messed up my question. The guy I met here in Everett a few weeks ago told me he had bought the car around the time you are describing. The one I saw was red, looked completely stock. It was definitely an '86 because it had the 3rd brake light (the only year of the 1st gen G-body that got it).

Anyway, even if it wasn't you I'm happy to see another TM'r active in Washington. Welcome!