Thread: Door Latch Adjustment

Hybrid booster

Door Latch Adjustment

During a recent discussion about door latch replacement, the topic came up regarding adjustment capability.
    Latch adjustment appeared to be an unfamiliar feature and after a quick online search, some old posts were located on other forums.
    Therefore it may be worth sharing here, for those that may be frustrated with excessive travel on their vehicle door handles.

The door latch mechanism includes an adjustment that determines the amount of travel required to open the door.
    Over time, component wear results in having to pull the handle out nearly 90 degree angle, for the latch to release
    This is also how most handles are broken BUT prior to that occurring an adjustment is available to compensate for component wear and minor bending of inner door rod linkages.

With the door open, look at the latch mechanism, its attachment screws, and notice the elongated hole near the latch mechanism.
    (Note: This is a round hole on some models.)
    The picture below provides the relative location of the latch mounting screws vs the adjustment screw and where the access hole can be expected.
    This door frame hole is provided so an allen wrench can be inserted to loosen, adjust , and tighten the internal latch mechanism.
    It may take a few attempts to achieve the desires feel/latch response.
    This is due to the slight prying effort needed to move the adjustment screw, while the screw is being tightened.
    None the less, it's a fairly simple process providing the screw hasn't rusted or been stripped by a previous owner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adj_Latch.png 
Views:	1004 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	49322

Thanks and Enjoy.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Door Latch Adjustment

Good write up.
    Chrysler used this system all the way back to the 70's. So you can adjust you old mopars doors too.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Good write up.
    Chrysler used this system all the way back to the 70's. So you can adjust you old mopars doors too.
    Thanks and so very true.
    It's amazing how much 'old' was carried over into the 'newer', back then.
    Now everything is purchased and the big three are 'badge-slappers', with very little left of things formerly known as Chrysler, Ford, and GM.

... "and we'll call this one a Dodge Monaco, with an engine from Italy, a transmission from Germany, wiring from Japan, and styling by whoever is available!"

turbo addict

Well the omni was designed In France with a redesigned american suspension using a French or German engine. 80's is when the globalization started really.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Well the omni was designed In France with a redesigned american suspension using a French or German engine. 80's is when the globalization started really.
    Recent years have taken all of this to a whole new level.
    Integration teams are in full force, with internal development and powertrain design being a purchased service.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    "I don't always drive beaters, but when I do, I make sure that they're turbocharged. Stay boosted, my friends."
    I like that.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 03-16-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    During a recent discussion about door latch replacement, the topic came up regarding adjustment capability.
    Latch adjustment appeared to be an unfamiliar feature and after a quick online search, some old posts were located on other forums.
    Therefore it may be worth sharing here, for those that may be frustrated with excessive travel on their vehicle door handles.

The door latch mechanism includes an adjustment that determines the amount of travel required to open the door.
    Over time, component wear results in having to pull the handle out nearly 90 degree angle, for the latch to release
    This is also how most handles are broken BUT prior to that occurring an adjustment is available to compensate for component wear and minor bending of inner door rod linkages.

With the door open, look at the latch mechanism, its attachment screws, and notice the elongated hole near the latch mechanism.
    (Note: This is a round hole on some models.)
    The picture below provides the relative location of the latch mounting screws vs the adjustment screw and where the access hole can be expected.
    This door frame hole is provided so an allen wrench can be inserted to loosen, adjust , and tighten the internal latch mechanism.
    It may take a few attempts to achieve the desires feel/latch response.
    This is due to the slight prying effort needed to move the adjustment screw, while the screw is being tightened.
    None the less, it's a fairly simple process providing the screw hasn't rusted or been stripped by a previous owner.

Thanks and Enjoy.
    Just got back to my Daytona after a few years resting in the garage. Passenger door handle was hard to open. With this explanation I was able to adjust the door handle to work perfectly.

Thanks from,

DCTZ

Hybrid booster

I had long forgotten about this post - I'm glad it helped.

Enjoy