Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R/T AC Compressor Rebuild TRF105

boostaholic

R/T AC Compressor Rebuild TRF105

Has anyone rebuilt the Sanden TRF105 Compressor? I have a spare one that has a bad clutch bearing and is leaking? I took my spare one apart last night and it is really simple inside. Does not look too hard.

Here is the breakdown of the assembly and a parts list. I will add cross references to parts that can be used to replace these OEM items within the compressor.

I have already found all the required parts that I need to completely rebuild mine including all seals and bearings.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 03-14-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Garrett booster

Re: R/T AC Compressor Rebuild TRF105

I havnt rebuilt any. although I have taken them apart to see what makes 'em tick. Reman units are easy enough to find so I went that route.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

There are still some OEM brand new ones out there. I bought one about 6 months ago still in the Mopar box.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

boostaholic

What is the going price for a new OEM compressor? I want to make sure it is feasible to rebuild one or if it is cheaper to just replace.

Garrett booster

I believe I got my NOS one for $200, probably 2-3 years ago. My reman I got for $90.

boostaholic

It just seems as time goes on the availability to find new OEM compressors will become harder. I did some searching and found new ones for the 350 price range. If your old one is leaking or the clutch bearing goes out, these are parts that can be sourced still new. I have a list of cross referenced parts. Referencing the first list here are the cross referenced parts:

Here is a good video to show and explain disassembly that I found: http://youtu.be/y9hKLaPMBoU

[TABLE="width: 1458"][TR][TD="colspan: 5"]
    [/TD][TD]
    [/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

boostaholic

Starting the rebuild, painted all the parts, all new seals and o-rings

boostaholic

Used the press at work to press in the new clutch bearing and press the main drive shaft back in. You will need an arbor or hydraulic press to rebuild the compressor.

Hybrid booster

nice work...

boostaholic

Here are the last few steps, if you remove the heat sensor, you are going to need to put a thermal paste on it for it to read the right temperature. I had some thermal paste from a laptop fan replacement. Worked perfectly.

Here is the finished product ready to go back on the car, tested the coil one last time and everything works perfectly. Now to find someone locally to vacuum out the system, charge it, and check for leaks..

Hybrid booster

Nice writeup.

Hybrid booster

Is there a place to buy just the clutch for this? I think that is all that is wrong with mine. It turning red hot last night was a pretty good clue.

Also, is there something special about the TRF105 compressor in our cars compared to ones used in other applications, other than the $300+ premium for one compared to $100-$160 you can find other applications.

turbo addict

The inlet/outlet arrangement is different than any other flavor of the compressor. The low production number is the big thing.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Should be similar to the compressor used in the early 90's full size vans. Same basic configuration, but 4 mount bolts and the hose connections are different. I do believe the clutch and internal components are the same though.

https://techchoiceparts.com/inventor...n-v6-39l-gas-n

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

What was the total cost for rebuilding this? Thanks for the info, btw.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

I didn't use the exact parts list above, but with shipping and paint. I would guess around 60. It was a good exercise and the rebuilt one is doing great on my car now, rebuilt the rest of the system this year and with all new drier, expansion valve, condenser, seals and the rebuilt compressor, I have under 250 including the a/c evac and recharge. Worth it to me.

That's pretty awesome. I'd like to get AC on my car at some point and I'd like to use a small compressor like that. Thanks again!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    That's pretty awesome. I'd like to get AC on my car at some point and I'd like to use a small compressor like that. Thanks again!
    Might want to look at using the van version (92-97 Dodge full-size vans) of that compressor that should be more common/available. Same internal design. Different case.

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Might want to look at using the van version (92-97 Dodge full-size vans) of that compressor that should be more common/available. Same internal design. Different case.
    NICE! I saw one on Rock Auto that is all black. haha Cool deal, thanks for the reference.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Just a note, there are some import cars that use the same type compressor also I believe. I have a junk one laying around that came off a Nissan or Toyota IIRC and it looks the same except for hose placement.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast