must be new

preferably one of these:

13039 walker
    6907 catco
    70330 eastern

zip code 92544

boostaholic

Re: 3" catalytic converter

Some of the small time ebay sellers will ship those to CA.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

okay so I no longer need this 3" cat..heres my story:

so the california rated cats are about $180 shipped on ebay and the federal non-california cats are about $50 shipped on ebay.

so I looked up the laws and figured that it doesnt really prohibit shipping/importing, purchasing, or possessing the non-california cat. it just prohibits selling, installing, or advertising it (without the non-california warning).

so I bought a $50 one on ebay and had it shipped to a package forwarding service (there are many online, I used one that starts with V)

the package forwarding service charged me $29 to reship it to me

the catch was this..when they received it, they held it and told me that they needed to have their management and local authorities approve it

at first I thought they were actually just a scam, and simply stealing my shipping money and also my item..so we had about a week of email exchanges, and finally they refunded my shipping money and sent me the contact info for the local sheriff where they are located and I emailed him and told him the deal

he emailed me back and the first part of his email was some "nobody needs a USA to USA forwarding service unless they are doing something nefarious" garbage..kinda scary to see that law enforcement has a guilty until proven innocent attitude. plus, the package forwarder has a FAQ on their website saying that yes they offer USA to USA addresses and many of their customers use it to have a non-PO box address for a business.

btw what I am doing is LEGAL as far as I can tell.

anyways..the last part of his email said that hes basically staying out of this and he doesnt get involved in who the package forwarder does or does not ship to.

the next day, (today) I got an email from the package forwarder saying that everything is okay and that I can re-pay them for shipping.

so I just did.

and so I no longer need the cat.

now, I got some nice offers from forum members to buy the cat for me out of state and reship it to me for shipping plus a small fee, which I believe is also perfectly legal and probably a better way to do this. and that would probably save me about $10 since I think $28 for reshipping is kind of a ripoff..but i dunno maybe its about right..i think the cat weighs about 6 lbs and is about 15 x 7 x5 or something so maybe it wouldnt fit in a flat rate and could be $28 to ship even if you do it yourself.

boostaholic

I don't get this crap either. Say you have a '71 nova and you just want to be green and have it run clean even though its CA smog exempt.. how the heck is that not legal to have a 49 state cat shipped to you for this?? So dumb.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    I don't get this crap either. Say you have a '71 nova and you just want to be green and have it run clean even though its CA smog exempt.. how the heck is that not legal to have a 49 state cat shipped to you for this?? So dumb.
    the next step will be to make the ATF the ATFC, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and catalytic converters. possession illegal. purchasing illegal. lol

turbo addict

That's why I love AZ emission.

Test tail pipe emission, test gas cap, test charcoal canister, and if you pass, you're good to go! For 96 and above, pass OBDII scan and it's good to go.

None of these CARB number things.