Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock tune with bigger injectors questions.

turbo addict

Re: Stock tune with bigger injectors questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Well said - after a donor connector and related wiring is located, the upgrade is a rather easy task.
    Do yourself a favor and acquire a 'caged' sensor to improve temperature response and fueling accuracy.

Attachment 49307

This is correct.
    The 88 and later T-I used a 'PAR' system that achieves the minimum boost if disconnected while the T-II maintained a system that caused full boost, if the solenoid failed.
    This was a turbo/head-gasket durability fix and also highlights the fact that two entirely different groups were designing/calibrating the T-I VS the T-II.
    It's clear from the diagrams below that the T-I will supply 100% of the compressor pressure to the WG actuator if the solenoid fails to open.
    On the other hand, the T-II will supply nothing to the WG actuator if the solenoid fails to open.
    This is why the duty cycle tables for each application are inverted and why the related plumbing needs to be correct for boost control to function properly.

Attachment 49308
    i found a caged sensor from napa for a 86 charger that's caged. The part number is esh ts5020 and am gonna get that also the port in the top of the 1piece intake mani is the same thread as the charge air temp sensor hole to its gonna get threaded in there and since I have a vac block I can rearrange things.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    i found a caged sensor from napa for a 86 charger that's caged. The part number is esh ts5020 and am gonna get that also the port in the top of the 1piece intake mani is the same thread as the charge air temp sensor hole to its gonna get threaded in there and since I have a vac block I can rearrange things.
    Sounds good - Keep us posted !

turbo addict

There's an article in the knowledge center and pictures of him threading it in the same place. Should work. Sensor should be here Tuesday. I can run the wiring over this weekend if I have time. I wanna do control arm bushings run the ground for my wideband to a different place because I'm getting noise thru thE radio and that's just for the shadow. The srt swap needs attention to.

turbo addict

Charge air temp sensor showed up today. We will see if it works

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    Charge air temp sensor showed up today. We will see if it works
    That's the one.
    This is a noticeable upgrade and the it'll work well with your project.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

That's the one.
    This is a noticeable upgrade and the it'll work well with your project.
    What will it do better than the stock T2 sensor?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

I think he meant that in general converting from a basic t1 with an intercooler slapped on compared to an actual converted t2 with a charge air temp sensor is a noticeable difference

turbo addict

Stock sensor is enclosed so it reacts slower than the open style.

turbo addict

It fits

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Stock sensor is enclosed so it reacts slower than the open style.
    Correct.
    Nearly all of the intake sensors on today's modern vehicles have gone to and 'open cage' sensor due to there quick response.
    The old sensors on our cars take a lifetime to sense actual temperatures due to being encased in plastic.
    Installing one of these on our cars is a HUGE fuel tracking/accuracy improvement.
    Before these were available, as a direct replacement, I'd use the caged sensor from a 98 5.2/5.9L magnum V8 but that also required a connector change. (see below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnum_CT.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	49388

turbo addict

Would there be any benefit of running it in the intake or before the throttle body. Reason for asking is because I would think it would possibly give it more time to react. And is there a big difference in temperature from those 2 points. I know a lot of newer cars run it before the throttle body as well. Just curious.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Would there be any benefit of running it in the intake or before the throttle body.
    Reason for asking is because I would think it would possibly give it more time to react.
    And is there a big difference in temperature from those 2 points.
    I know a lot of newer cars run it before the throttle body as well.
    Just curious.

Paul
    That's a great point and I'm seeing many vehicles these days that have both.
    Although many of today's intakes are plastic and do not retain heat like the aluminum intakes and that provides some added flexibility to sensor placement.
    With this, having the charge sensor inclusive to the intakes thermal rejection is a more realistic measurement, in my opinion.

Well said - after a donor connector and related wiring is located, the upgrade is a rather easy task.
    Do yourself a favor and acquire a 'caged' sensor to improve temperature response and fueling accuracy.

Attachment 49307

Attachment 49308

What kind of pigtail do I need to order to fit that sensor? The stock one doesn't work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

http://store.the-electric-connection...nsor-p103.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    What kind of pigtail do I need to order to fit that sensor? The stock one doesn't work.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The easiest option is to get the Standard Motor Products AX7 sensor (open element) which has the stock socket, and if you need a new stock pigtail, the TX3A pigtail is a perfect fit for the stock and AX7 sensors.

Edit: Actually the AX7 sensor is a direct-fit replacement for 87 cars, I'm guessing that the connector was changed for later model years.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Pigtail ordered, Thanks!

turbo addict

Ran my wire from the smec plug all the way around and to the charge temp sensor. Tried the new tune and the car wouldn't run. Must be another bad chip. This is the second one as of late hopefully I can get this resolved since im just running the stock t1 mtx tune at the moment. On thing I was surprised to find was the hole in the smec plug was already drilled and had a plug in it .

Hybrid booster

> if I may jump in, speaking to a stock tune and +20s in my 89T2. How much pressure has one of you dropped to get in a happy ballpark. I know somebody out there has done it. Maybe Steve will jump in?
    Also, does anyone know the size of the thread-in return fitting on our stock FPRs? Reason I ask is I will be using a block off cap on the return, as well as capping the vac nipple. (Return will be handled by the A1000 afpr)
    Last edited by john1320; 04-30-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: updated info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    > if I may jump in, speaking to a stock tune and +20s in my 89T2. How much pressure has one of you dropped to get in a happy ballpark. I know somebody out there has done it. Maybe Steve will jump in?
    Also, does anyone know the size of the thread-in return fitting on our stock FPRs? Reason I ask is I will be using a block off cap on the return, as well as capping the vac nipple. (Return will be handled by the A1000 afpr)
    Go to witchhunter.com. they have a calculator on the main page. You may have hot restart issues with lowered pressure.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    > if I may jump in, speaking to a stock tune and +20s in my 89T2. How much pressure has one of you dropped to get in a happy ballpark.
    http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

There is no benefit using bigger injectors with stock calibration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast