Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Big Single Build

Garrett booster

Re: Big Single Build

Pull the cotter pins out on these and disconnect:

Pull the hose out of the power steering and unbolt hard line from steering rack:

Interior so far:

Need to drill oil pan and have this bung installed for the turbo oil drain:

Garrett booster

It has been awhile since the last update. Life happened and that took priority a little bit. So I decided today that it would be good to get some work done on this car. First thing is to yank the old engine out:

Typical 3/S human in engine bay:

The GF was playing with the camera as I was working on the old engine mounts:

I thought I would be cool and do it all in my sandals lol.

Garrett booster

Well more accomplished today. Cleaned up the transmission a bit, pulled some of the bolts out of the transmission and then cleaned them up and re-inserted them back in the transmission 1 by 1. Cleaned out the bell housing as much as I could and pulled the fulcrum out, cleaned it up. Greased up the fulcrum detent and installed back in the transmission. I removed the old input/pilot bearing, greased the splines and the shaft for the pilot bearing. Installed the pilot bearing clip to the fulcrum and it's ready to go. Installed the motor mounts to the engine and the transmission. Added some other stuff to the engine that is needed and installed the brackets for attaching to the engine hoist. Will install the transmission to the new engine once it's off the stand and has a flywheel and pressure plate attached along with the clutch. I need to order a new transmission fill plug since the one that is on the transmission is chewed up a bit. Will snap some photos of the transmission attached to the new engine.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

After looking at your intererior pictures again, I realize you have a LOT of work to do before you will be enjoying this.
    Hope you start breaking FWD transmissions sooner than later.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    After looking at your intererior pictures again, I realize you have a LOT of work to do before you will be enjoying this.
    Hope you start breaking FWD transmissions sooner than later.
    All I need to do is wiring, the seats will go back in and then I need a cage but yea there's a fair amount of work left.

Garrett booster

Well let's fast forward a bit to the end result of the weekend's work. I attached the flywheel. clutch disc with alignment tool, pressure plate to engine. I got the transmission on the new engine and used my new transmission bolts that I picked up for the reinstall. The transmission was on the engine pretty quickly. Then I set out to work on putting the engine into the car.

The solid engine mounts were a little tough to work with, but the key I soon found out was to loosen up the bolts to the mounts a bit so I can move them around then position the engine in place, run the bolt through each of the mounts, then tighten the engine onto the mounts. Then go back and tighten all of the mounts into the frame.
    Here's a wider shot of the engine as I started working through hooking stuff up:

Here's the mess on the firewall. Transmission isn't perfectly clean, but I am not that worried about it being super clean:

Then I ripped out the old engine harness:

Installed new Megasquirt ECU and new harness under passenger floor tray:
    Then I worked on installing the new power steering cooler:

Then I stopped working on it. I need to look at wiring harness options as I am trying to minimize the wiring.

My biggest headache with wiring a car from near scratch has been dealing with adding systems or even a single wire after the fact.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

My biggest headache with wiring a car from near scratch has been dealing with adding systems or even a single wire after the fact.
    Especially after you have painstakingly wrapped the whole harness by hand. It isn't easy to add that one extra wire into the loom without re-wrapping the whole dang thing.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow24 View Post
    Especially after you have painstakingly wrapped the whole harness by hand. It isn't easy to add that one extra wire into the loom without re-wrapping the whole dang thing.
    A couple things I am doing to circumvent this is to leave the harness open and not sealed up. It goes against the notions of the original harness and being sealed against dirt, debris, water, etc. But the car is going to be a track car, i am not going to be driving this thing around all the time. I am going to leverage the use of the plastic harness trays on the sides of the interior of the car to facilitate a bit on the routing of the wiring, that should still allow me to modify the wiring but also keep the wiring hidden and away from curious people...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Just use split loom w/ zip ties at junctions.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I would recommend wrapping the harness after you get it running. It can go a long ways to keeping the harness clean and not getting fried on something that gets super hot.

Garrett booster

I have a couple questions for you Megasquirt guys. I am trying to understand how the Spark portion works with the distributor. The spark wire goes to the PTU, but the PTU has this capacitor thing wired to it and I want to know what to do there.

Also for the Injectors on the MS2, how were you guys firing the injectors with only 2 channels for injectors? Is there an additional addon needed for firing the last two injectors? I was thinking batch firing the front bank and the rear bank. On the stock ECU, it controlled all of the injectors separately.

Aside from these things, I got everything else wired in (except knock sensor).

Garrett booster

Got the Knocksense module addon.

Tomorrow I should get my header flanges, t4 flange, and vband clamp kit.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
    I have a couple questions for you Megasquirt guys. I am trying to understand how the Spark portion works with the distributor. The spark wire goes to the PTU, but the PTU has this capacitor thing wired to it and I want to know what to do there.

Also for the Injectors on the MS2, how were you guys firing the injectors with only 2 channels for injectors? Is there an additional addon needed for firing the last two injectors? I was thinking batch firing the front bank and the rear bank. On the stock ECU, it controlled all of the injectors separately.

Aside from these things, I got everything else wired in (except knock sensor).
    Usually I have seen a capacitor on coil systems for noise control. As I don't have an MS installed on a 12v I'm not 100% positive this is the case.

On the injectors however, with an MSII you end up running in bank mode. I.e. cylinders 1,3,5 are connected to one injector driver and 2,4,6 are on the other. Unless you get an MS3 with 8 drivers to enable sequential injection, this is almost the best we can do. Do you know if your injectors are low or high impedance? This makes a big difference in connecting and controlling the injectors correctly.

Garrett booster

It's been a very long time since I have updated this, but I have the car mostly finished with the exception of the turbo portion. The turbo was stolen and the megasquirt was stolen as well so I am working with my insurance company on it. The roommate is most likely the suspect. I am in the middle of the eviction process.

Those are expensive pieces to replace! Probably the worst possibility!
    Hope it works out, I want to see this working.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567