Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Big Single Build

turbo addict

Re: Big Single Build

Man, for the pistons to be proud .020" that's a LOT of milling or one heck of a thick crown! I wonder what those pistons weigh?

I think Brent mentioned that the DOHC gaskets can work with the SOHC heads with a slight modification to one of the coolant holes or something. I can't remember 100%.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Man, for the pistons to be proud .020" that's a LOT of milling or one heck of a thick crown! I wonder what those pistons weigh?

I think Brent mentioned that the DOHC gaskets can work with the SOHC heads with a slight modification to one of the coolant holes or something. I can't remember 100%.
    Yea that's my thought too, however even with the DOHC head gasket thickness, the gasket is too thin and I run the risk of piston to head contact in the event of heat added to the mix (everything expands when hot enough)

I'd have to check, but the pistons were definitely much lighter than the stock cast pistons. The connecting rods are 90 grams lighter each than the stock connecting rods.

turbo addict

If you look around you can find some weight differences in the valvetrain that I posted a while ago. I used some cheep LS retainers and locks and compared them to stock. The weight savings was nice but could be improved with lighter valves and the lighter fancy LS parts that are out there.

turbo addict

I know you've plopped a head and a gasket on the engine and checked to see if the piston hit the head. Have you used any kind of putty or clay to actually check to see how much clearance there really is? That might play in your favor.

How about using some cylinder head shims in addition to the gasket. ie. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...704&cc=1089693

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I know you've plopped a head and a gasket on the engine and checked to see if the piston hit the head. Have you used any kind of putty or clay to actually check to see how much clearance there really is? That might play in your favor.
    I am going to try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    How about using some cylinder head shims in addition to the gasket. ie. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...704&cc=1089693
    Nice, I never thought about that... Not sure how well it will seal.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
    Oil galleys and water galleys dont line up perfectly. Some of the gasket covers a water galley. I am sure I could cut the gasket to fit it but I would rather just get the right ones.
    Who cares? Even the stock SOHC paper gasket doesn't line up perfectly. That and when it comes to coolant passages, you don't actually want high flow at all locations.

All that matters is that nothing is going to leak and all the passages needed are going to work. BTW, OEM MLS vs aftermarket MLS....they are not proven similar.

I already posted that I used DOHC cometic 95mm headgaskets (and that large bore is not needed). You don't need custom headgaskets. This has all been posted before in this very thread, I don't see a need to rehash it once again. Go back and read what happened already.

Here is an option which I cannot endorse but it exists. http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...?idProduct=779
    "All gaskets are the stock .051" thickness." Which again means you don't have an OEM turbo headgasket so you keep skirting the real issue and real advice here. I will note that those are not OEM headgaskets either.

I don't remember your bore size, the thickness of all the headgaskets you have tried. I don't know why anyone would mill much of anything off a 6g72 deck.

The big hp builds often put a small taper on the top of the piston and then use a stock OEM MLS turbo gasket.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 05-09-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Who cares? Even the stock SOHC paper gasket doesn't line up perfectly. That and when it comes to coolant passages, you don't actually want high flow at all locations.

All that matters is that nothing is going to leak and all the passages needed are going to work. BTW, OEM MLS vs aftermarket MLS....they are not proven similar.

I already posted that I used DOHC cometic 95mm headgaskets (and that large bore is not needed). You don't need custom headgaskets. This has all been posted before in this very thread, I don't see a need to rehash it once again. Go back and read what happened already.

Here is an option which I cannot endorse but it exists. http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...?idProduct=779
    "All gaskets are the stock .051" thickness." Which again means you don't have an OEM turbo headgasket so you keep skirting the real issue and real advice here. I will note that those are not OEM headgaskets either.

I don't remember your bore size, the thickness of all the headgaskets you have tried. I don't know why anyone would mill much of anything off a 6g72 deck.

The big hp builds often put a small taper on the top of the piston and then use a stock OEM MLS turbo gasket.
    Here's what I bought, I bought the full engine gasket set:
    http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=24097

I am going to check clearances with the piston and head , put a small piece of clay on the tops of the pistons and see where they end up. I will keep this up to date.

Garrett booster

Everything checks out. I put some clay on the crowns and dishes on the pistons, installed heads, torqued head studs to spec, rotated the crankshaft a few times, removed the heads and checked the clay. Not a significant compression on the clay inserted, the crowns have plenty of clearance.

So with that, I installed head gaskets, heads are torqued to 105 ft/lbs according to ARP, water pump, LIM, fuel rails with stock injectors (placeholders for now) and cleaned up the old water pipe and water pipe elbow off the engine that is in the car and painted them flat black. I will install new o-rings afterwards. I have the timing tensioner installed in place, spring is on for now, will remove when I get around to getting the rest of the parts I need to finish up. Will install water pipe into place and the elbow as well as install the engine temp sensor from my gauges into the thermostat housing. I need to consult the manual to see what the other sensor was in the thermostat housing. Pics will be coming soon.

turbo addict

the tstat housing has a sensor for the ecu to control the warmup enrichment and any timing or idle air valve related thing when the motor is cold. The single wire sensor is for the gauge cluster idiot light to warn when the coolant is too hot.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    the tstat housing has a sensor for the ecu to control the warmup enrichment and any timing or idle air valve related thing when the motor is cold. The single wire sensor is for the gauge cluster idiot light to warn when the coolant is too hot.
    I knew one of them was the idiot light. I guess I will just replace the idiot light with my engine temp sensor and use the other sensor for the ECU.

turbo addict

The ecu sensor is critical for the stock ecu and megasquirt.

Im a big fan of having an actual temp gauge that is accurate, however, megasquirt will receive a correct reading from the main sensor and can be viwed in real time via laptop or android device over bluetooth.

Keep in mind MS only works with certain coolant temp sensors. I use the Chevy sensor that is available on DIYautotune's site but I purchased it through autozone locally. MS has settings found in tunerstudio for calibrating your specific sensor. You can use Chrysler too but im not sure which year sensor.

Garrett booster

The ecu sensor is critical for the stock ecu and megasquirt.

Im a big fan of having an actual temp gauge that is accurate, however, megasquirt will receive a correct reading from the main sensor and can be viwed in real time via laptop or android device over bluetooth.

Keep in mind MS only works with certain coolant temp sensors. I use the Chevy sensor that is available on DIYautotune's site but I purchased it through autozone locally. MS has settings found in tunerstudio for calibrating your specific sensor. You can use Chrysler too but im not sure which year sensor.
    I have the Engine Temp Sensor for the megasquirt that I will install as well as my own gauge sensor. Wondering if I really need the idiot light...

turbo addict

I forgot to mention, the idiot light sensor also drives the cluster gauge if you have one (I'm sure you knew that). I'd rather have that working than just sitting there doing nothing.

I believe boostedsohc is running a Stealth/3000GT, not sure if he has a gauge or not (I would think so) or how it is driven...

turbo addict

Im pretty positive the stealth intake I had has the same tstat and coolant temp setup that we have but I could be wrong.

Garrett booster

Im pretty positive the stealth intake I had has the same tstat and coolant temp setup that we have but I could be wrong.
    The thermostat housings are the same.

There is a plug on the top of the thermostat neck where all of the sensors are at that I can remove and add an additional sensor, which I may move the idiot light to that area.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Stealth's use Mitsubishi sensors from factory...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Stealth's use Mitsubishi sensors from factory...
    yes but with megasquirt you need to use the Chrysler or chevy sensor unless you know how to calibrate it. The cluster sensor looks super similar.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

yes but with megasquirt you need to use the Chrysler or chevy sensor unless you know how to calibrate it. The cluster sensor looks super similar.
    I think the mitsubishi just has different looking plugs but has both. Have another one sitting in storage.
    -------------

Buying a full gasket set doesn't mean you bought a TT gasket set since the dropdown menu has a million other options.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast