Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Single Build

Garrett booster

Big Single Build

I am actually coming from the 3000GT/Stealth Platform. I had a 97 3000GT VR4 for some time then sold it and replaced it with a 93 Stealth SOHC and I currently DD an 08 BMW 535xi. So on to the big single build project... I made a decision in the summer of 2013 to pursue an effort to turbocharge the SOHC engine. In the process, it has definitely been interesting and costly, but I am confident in my design and hope it comes together soon.

So some big highlights:
    Borg Warner S363 Standard T4 anti-surge cover, .88 A/R 90 degree snout
    CX Racing 8PSI 38mm External wastegate and screamer pipe
    Synapse Synchronic BOV
    Built SOHC engine with Wiseco forged pistons, Ninja Performance Chromoly Forged H-Beam rods, ARP Head studs and Main Girdle studs, Brian Crower 264 cams, new stock sized valves, mild polish on heads
    Frozenboost Water/Air 90 degree intercooler with heat exchanger and ice box with Bosch Cobra Water pump and 3/4 inch water lines
    Megasquirt II for ECU

The goal is to make as much power as possible out of this engine. The shortblock will be back soon and then the heads will go out for cleaning and polishing and then the entire engine will be assembled. My struggle has been looking for exhaust manifolds that direct the exhaust horizontally versus vertically. I think I may have found an answer; to use 350Z exhaust manifolds and cut the flanges off and weld on SOHC flanges. From there I just need to create the crosspipe to both manifolds and then weld the T4 flange and external wastegate. Once the manifolds are built on my mock-up engine, then the mock-up engine can be removed and the new engine can be installed in place.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Big Single Build

By SOHC do you mean the 2.0L SOHC 16v engine from the Neons? Usually when people say SOHC here, they mean the old 2.2/2.5 8v engines.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    By SOHC do you mean the 2.0L SOHC 16v engine from the Neons? Usually when people say SOHC here, they mean the old 2.2/2.5 8v engines.
    No, 6G72 3.0L SOHC

turbo addict

Maybe I've just been out of 3.0's too long, but since when are there "off-the-shelf" cams available outside of RPW? I think all the people I know of that have non-stock (meaning non-Mitsubishi) cams have all been custom re-grinds.

If the engine was turned around 180* (belts on the passenger side), then there is an option for the manifolds and cross-over pipe to adapt a turbo. Since the engine is turned the other way in a 3Si, I'm not 100% that they would work. Brent (Ondonti) would probably be your best resource for this information, besides the guy that makes those pipes (I think it was Kelly Mulhern).

I do know that there have been a couple of people that have adapted aftermarket headers for other applications to these engines in the manner you are talking about.

It sounds like you have a nice build. As long as the tune is good and the turbo can support it, we know 500+ is completely possible (that was done with a partially blown headgasket IIRC).

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Ha, my bad. I did not realize at all this was the V6 forum!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Maybe I've just been out of 3.0's too long, but since when are there "off-the-shelf" cams available outside of RPW? I think all the people I know of that have non-stock (meaning non-Mitsubishi) cams have all been custom re-grinds.

If the engine was turned around 180* (belts on the passenger side), then there is an option for the manifolds and cross-over pipe to adapt a turbo. Since the engine is turned the other way in a 3Si, I'm not 100% that they would work. Brent (Ondonti) would probably be your best resource for this information, besides the guy that makes those pipes (I think it was Kelly Mulhern).

I do know that there have been a couple of people that have adapted aftermarket headers for other applications to these engines in the manner you are talking about.

It sounds like you have a nice build. As long as the tune is good and the turbo can support it, we know 500+ is completely possible (that was done with a partially blown headgasket IIRC).
    I am pretty sure this is "Boost4VR4" from 3si.org He seems to be making steady progress.

There are cams out there from multiple vendors but the prices can be outrageous for simple regrinds. I would not bother sharing that info since I don't know anyone here who wants to spend much of anything

I have a set of 350z manifolds that would hopefully go on this year for test fitting, had them 2+ years. 3000gt has a lot more space then we do and 350z manifolds have been used before. I don't plan on removing the flange unless I can't redrill them.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 03-14-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Wow...I have been out of 3.0's too long! I had no idea there were actual aftermarket cams available! LOL Good to know...maybe one day I'll actually have to be in the dilemma whether to spend $ on regrinds or off-the-shelf. LOL

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I am pretty sure this is "Boost4VR4" from 3si.org He seems to be making steady progress.

There are cams out there from multiple vendors but the prices can be outrageous for simple regrinds. I would not bother sharing that info since I don't know anyone here who wants to spend much of anything

I have a set of 350z manifolds that would hopefully go on this year for test fitting, had them 2+ years. 3000gt has a lot more space then we do and 350z manifolds have been used before. I don't plan on removing the flange unless I can't redrill them.
    Yep that's me. I thought I'd join the Mopar board to get more information on the 3.0s and what the Mopar gents are doing with them.

I bought the Brian Crower cams from a board member for 135 shipped, but from BC, they run about 180. BC also has a 272 profile and I believe they have made a few one offs with a 280 profile.

I have been making some progress, I should get some photos posted sometime, it's been an interesting road.

Tonight I want to get the intercooler plumping finished and get the water pump tested through the heat exchanger and see if there are any leaks.

The car is a tin can at the moment, it's staying that way. Eventually it will get a complete cage, new racing seats, and fire extinguisher system, but for now, I'm just trying to progress through the build process.

I have high hopes for the build. The engine is being built pretty stout, most people tell me I am crazy. I tell them, we all are, what's the difference?

I am going kinda simplistic when it comes to boost control. I don't feel like messing around with boost controllers and the like, so I decided that I am going to use wastegate boost. I have 2 External wastegates, so the 8PSI wastegate will be the baseline, then the 16PSI wastegate will be for high boost. The goal is to have 4 tunes, 2 E85 Tunes and 2 pump gas tunes.
    Last edited by boostedsohc; 03-14-2014 at 03:08 PM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I didn't know they were that cheap. 3sx had some sohc cams that were very very expensive that I don't think anyone ever bought.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I didn't know they were that cheap. 3sx had some sohc cams that were very very expensive that I don't think anyone ever bought.
    The previous owner that I bought these cams from got them from BC direct.

Today I accomplished the placement of the heat exchanger and just rested the water/air intercooler in the bay where it will sit. Bumper should mount just fine with the heat exchanger behind the crash bar, but may have to trim the bumper a little bit if it is in the way.
    Last edited by boostedsohc; 03-18-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Garrett booster

Ordered some ebay 350Z stainless steel exhaust manifolds for testing the turbo mock up and placement.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

What's the lift and LSA and centerline on those cams? I don't see the SOHC listed on their website...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

264/264 .390 Lift. You have to call for these cams. They are regrinds.

Garrett booster

Ordered Megasquirt II for 6G72 SOHC engines.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
    264/264 .390 Lift. You have to call for these cams. They are regrinds.
    Sounds very close to my custom Crower cams in Project LookOwt.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Sounds very close to my custom Crower cams in Project LookOwt.
    I can't say for certain, but I think those cams were some of the very first regrinds done for the SOHC 6G72 in the U.S. considering they were done in the mid-late 90's IIRC. Knowing that, it wouldn't surprise me if they based a "production" cam card off of them. I can't remember where Brent got his done, but heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there are cams available that are very close to his as well. (keep in mind I am leaving out RPW simply because their stuff was never really that available in the 'States)

Garrett booster

Got the Megasquirt stuff. Should be fun playing around with this.

turbo addict

Garrett booster

Here's some eyecandy

Engine pics from machinist and builder:

I already asked about why there are only 12 head studs when there should be 16 as well as if there are included nuts for the head studs since the OEM head studs are basically long bolts and these are a different design. Also the knock sensor that the DOHC engines have has been tapped into the block in basically the same location as the DOHC engines which will be very helpful.

Ninja Performance Chromoly Connecting rods are in there and the Wisecos are in there too.

Will be dropping off the heads, valve guides, valve seats and the associated cylinder heads hardware off to machinist for a cleaning and to press in the guides and seats. I will assemble the heads with the new cams and associated valves and hardware.

Found out that everything is well, the other studs are not installed because the dowels are not in place. The hardware is included as well.

turbo addict

Im not sure if it was covered yet but what will you be going with for valve springs, locks, and retainers?

Also, glad to see the knock sensor. You seem to be more than capable but if you need help with a basemap and other megasquirt related settings, feel free to ask. Plenty of us are running an MSII

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast