Thread: I charged the battery backwards and got electricaLsmoke from below the battery

Exclamation I charged the battery backwards and got electricaLsmoke from below the battery

While I'm pulling the battery tray take a guess what I smoked.

turbo addict

Re: I charged the battery backwards and got electricaLsmoke from below the battery

Fusible links?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: I charged the battery backwards and got electricaLsmoke from below the battery

"Below the battery tray," Cruise control servo?

Got it apart and it's the black fusible link wire. Thanks for the quick answer. Now I need to hook a light up the the battery to drain it and charge the right polarity.

turbo addict

Been there, done that but with jumper cables instead as a youngin'. Dad was more than torked off about that; yet still impressed I knew that the fusible link or two went up in smoke and it shouldn't have been anything more important.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

My next door neighbor did that last year to his boat. Did a grand worth of damage to electrical system! HEI, alternator, and wiring harness. Didn't hurt the starter though. I came over and took a quick look at it and I said ah John the battery is hooked up backwards... He is a car guy and couldn't belive he made that mistake. He looked at me and said I need to sell this crap, I'm getting too old, this just proves it. I said nah, your just preoccupied with other things John. Easy to do.

turbo addict

Sweet, what did I win?

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    My next door neighbor did that last year to his boat. Did a grand worth of damage to electrical system! HEI, alternator, and wiring harness. Didn't hurt the starter though. I came over and took a quick look at it and I said ah John the battery is hooked up backwards... He is a car guy and couldn't belive he made that mistake. He looked at me and said I need to sell this crap, I'm getting too old, this just proves it. I said nah, your just preoccupied with other things John. Easy to do.
    That's just what happens when you have kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Sweet, what did I win?
    How about a Shelby Lancer with matching numbers and no rust for a fair price when I croak?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post

How about a Shelby Lancer with matching numbers and no rust for a fair price when I croak?
    No thanks, I am downsizing. Going be parting a 89 Shelby CSX very soon.