Thread: Uh oh

Hybrid booster

Uh oh

Broke the car. Took it out on a back road to see if I could top it out. As soon as I hit 120mph heard something come off the car. Drove it back to base(about 1 mile) and everything seemed good until I had to turn. Steering wheel was kind of jerking. Got parked looked all around outside of car, nothing missing. Popped hood, nothing missing there, but noticed power steering pump pulley wasn't straight. The power steering pump had been leaking so though maybe the bearing went out at the high RPMs. Grabbed the pulley to see if I could wiggle it and the whole power steering pump moved. The bolts that hold it down and keep tension on belt were loose. Too dark to really see what's going on even with flashlight. What could have caused that, or fallen off the car to make that happen? Never really paid much attention to that are since it's tucked on the backside by firewall.

turbo addict

Re: Uh oh

sounds like one of the bolts fell out , or the nut at the bottom back side of the pump

if it's slimey or one of the bolts was lose it could move in it's bracket

Hybrid booster

Sounds like a bigger piece than a nut that fell off. At first I thought maybe it was one of the ground effect pieces. Going out soon to look at it in daylight and access the situation.

Hybrid booster

Okay fixed it. The lower bolt came out, the nut on the bottom was really loose and the upper adjustment bolt was loose. Not sure how they all came loose at once, but it is what it is. Luckily i had a bolt in my toolbox that worked to replace the one that came out. Wasn't perfect and had to get creative with some spacers cause it was too long but I have a bolt in it and it's solid now.

turbo addict

power steering pump might be a challenge for the fat handed

prob the last guy there before you didn't get things as tight as he thought he did

Hybrid booster

Well, I grabbed a new powersteering pump out of a junkyard and all the correct bolts. Put it on and it didn't work at all. Took it back for yard credit, and bought a refurbished one from Oreillys for $50 and installed it using all the bolts I got from junkyard and even put a little dab of blue loctite on the lower bolt to hopefully keep it from coming out again because the bolt I put in the old one fell out a couple days later.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

A lot of the time shorter bolts than the original are used which causes this problem. IIRC the factory ones are relatively long for holding on such a thin bracket.

Hybrid booster

Actually that bolt is the shortest one.

turbo addict

save the old pump for a bit

Idono what car you have or what rack is in it but the quick ratio racks use a higher pressure valve in the pump

if you find your steering effort is greater now with the new pump , swaping the valve should correct it

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    save the old pump for a bit

Idono what car you have or what rack is in it but the quick ratio racks use a higher pressure valve in the pump

if you find your steering effort is greater now with the new pump , swaping the valve should correct it
    They sell both styles. I got the one "with firm feel" but did save the valve and stuff out of old one that made it firm feel.