Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Odor Question

Hybrid booster

Fuel Odor Question

87 Shelby Z turbo I (log intake car)

When I got the car the fuel lines where garbage. Replaced them with new fuel injection hose, reused the old fuel line clamps. I noticed the new fuel line had an odor like gas when I bought it but watched them cut it off the spool so I know it was new.

I'm getting a fuel smell, all the lines are dry, no leaks, pulled off the vac line at FPR and no fuel or odors there, see no visual leaks around injectors ( and when bend over really close and smell no odors around them either). However I smell gas around the fuel lines still.

Has any one else had this experience? I don't want a car fire. Any advice?

turbo addict

Re: Fuel Odor Question

are you sure it's a fuel smell and not something like varsol ?

it's possiable the manufacturer flow tests their product to make sure it dosen't leak

holley uses solvent to flow test new carbs - trust me , you do not want to turn a brand new holley carb upside down

stinky stuff dribbles out - quite a bit in fact

you could try washing the hose sections with a scrubie sponge and some dish soap - that might help some of the smell out of the rubber
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 03-08-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: afterthought

Hybrid booster

I suppose it could be, it's a very faint odor. I remember some fuel running around that area when I removed the old lines, but that was some time ago.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Couple suggestions...
    You really shouldn't reuse those clamps. Its always best to use new fuel injection clamps.
    It could be that at one of the hose ends fuel is very slightly leaking. Go over and check any connection/clamp you handled.
    It could be something you didn't replace, like the lines on the evap canister. If you have some dried and cracked hose on it you may be releasing some fuel vapor from the tank.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

+1 to NEVER re-using those clamps. That being said the clamps you get at the stores Napa/Oreallys/Autostoned lately have gone uber cheap. The nuts on them are 1/2 the thickness of stock and like to strip easily.

I almost burnt my daytona to the ground in 06 driving down the 5 between Sac and the grapevine at 2am because the 3 month old fuel line and the new fuel injector clamp at the fuel rail feed was leaking. The narrowband was showing stoich in boost while racing this nice Datsun 510. Well racing is such a strong word. More like showing what a boosted 2.5 will do when rolling on it in 5th. Anyway didn't discover the leak till I rolled into the O.C. and was showing my dad the car. Fuel line was going drip drip drip at idle. The hose had shrunk and was leaking. Cut the end off, shoved it back on and re-did the clamp. That was the last straw with those things though. Came home and went straight to an aftermarket rail and AN fittings. No more leaks!

Hybrid booster

I've checked them several times, and all the connections are tight, no leaks or drips at all. No odor by the vap canister. Only right at the lines.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Btw, I noticed recently when repairing some hoses on Slug that the fuel injection hose has changed. Carquest was carrying some multi-fuel injection hose with green stamped specs along the hose. When installing and pulling the hose back off a fitting I noticed it rolled out from the inside. Kind of like pulling a sock inside out. Afterwards, the inlet was all bunched up. I tried not to use any of it and scrounged up some of the older stuff.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Btw, I noticed recently when repairing some hoses on Slug that the fuel injection hose has changed. Carquest was carrying some multi-fuel injection hose with green stamped specs along the hose. When installing and pulling the hose back off a fitting I noticed it rolled out from the inside. Kind of like pulling a sock inside out. Afterwards, the inlet was all bunched up. I tried not to use any of it and scrounged up some of the older stuff.
    had used some of that stuff before I went all AN hose instead. Pulled the multi fuel hose off to start trashing all the old fuel lines and had black rubber all over my hands from the inside of the hose breaking down. I'm not impressed with the stuff.

Hybrid booster

Could be a fuel injector leaking at the O'ring or the broken plastic seat on injector housing. Just turn the key to ON and energize the fuel pump. Take a bright flashlight and shine the light at each fuel injector. The fuel lines are pressured with fuel and if an ejector is leaking you will see a damp wet spot around that injector, thus giving you your fuel smell. You can run the engine, but just a quick start-up and while its running, check with a flashlight. Don't get the motor hot. Shut off the engine immediately after checking all four injector at the intake manifold.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Also check the fuel pressure regulator. I've had them fail on me, and start leaking fuel into the vacuum system where you can smell it, but can't see the leak.

Hybrid booster

I did pull off the vac line to regulator, no fuel or odor from inside it. I checked all the injectors for odor and visual leaks before posting.
    Last edited by tommyturbo; 03-10-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Hybrid booster

This might be a stupid question, but did you preplace the hoses off the tank/filter? Seen things more odd than this, but the odor might be coming from underneath the car, from aleaking old hose. Now that you have new on up top, the only place for the excess pressure to go is your old hoses down below. Mich like old brake lines blowing when you replace one flex line. Good luck.

Hybrid booster

Yes, the ones by the tank were also replaced. it's not an overwhelming smell, but I do notice it sometimes.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Check the line to your evap canister (charcoal canister). Fuel vapor travels through this line to the canister. If it is leaking, you'll get a strong fuel odor.

Hybrid booster

OK, checked over the injectors with a mirror, flashlight, q-tips and my nose looking for leaks, nothing. No evidence of leaks. I'm also in the process of trying to burp the cooling system on the Super Coupe, so will go over the evap lines next.

Hybrid booster

EVAP lines look good too. I'm jut going to keep an eye on things and enjoy the car. This cars vac lines are the nicest I have seen.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I just repaired fuel odor issue on my Lancer.
    The rubber fuel feed and return lines on the fuel rail were weeping fuel.
    The rubber was old and allowing fuel to seep through the hose. Most likly this fuel hose was not resistant to today's fuel and additives.

Hybrid booster

I drove the Daytona a bit today, in warm weather I didn't smell anything. Tonight when it was cold, I noticed the slightest odor. Again when I sniff I only smell it by the fuel lines, and it is pretty faint. No odor by the injectors. Its annoying, an to drive it, but paranoid of fire potential.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I wonder if maybe you have a hairline crack in the return line? I say return because I'd think even a tiny crack in the feed line would cause a noticeable spray under the fuel pressures we run. Have you crawled under the car and looked for any signs/odors of a fuel leak where the lines pass over the K-frame and bend up to the firewall?

And do be sure to carry a fire extinguisher in the car, even after you find the cause of this.

Hybrid booster

Ok, I will check this out. I am gonna remove the return line and inspect it, as well as the metal lines that run down and under the car. I do have a extinguisher in the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast