Thread: Fuel injector "upgrade"

Hybrid booster

Fuel injector "upgrade"

No, I'm not talking about putting in larger injectors for higher boost or different cals. I know on my truck the factory injectors only had a single hole pintle on them. It was a popular "upgrade" to buy the 4-hole pintle injectors from a Ford or Chevy with the same flow rate for the better fuel atomization. Usually resulted in better fuel mileage and better driveability. Has anyone done similar on these cars? Is there anything special about the injectors to where you have to buy a specific size, or will any standard 30lb/hr injector with EV1 connector work?

Hybrid booster

Re: Fuel injector "upgrade"

Interesting.

Waiting to hear from the more informed members.
    Gene

Hybrid booster

bumping this up. Still looking for an answer.

turbo addict

Our injectors are low impedance (peak and hold). You would need to find low imp. for sure. Chysler injectors were around 2.4 ohms. I personally doubt you will find any performance gain switching. I am sure Chrysler engineers were all over that during evolution of these vehicles. Chrysler had several different vendors of injectors. Bosch, Seimens & Deka. Some had wider and more narrow patterns than others. Some had a conical style permanent aluminum pintle, while others had plastic replaceable single pintle tip. Others still had a disk type pintle. I'm sure you have heard of the FFV injectors that were designed to use either gasoline or ethanol blends. There are several turbo Mopar injectors (at least six that I know of) that all flowed close to each other (32-35 lb/hr) during the mid 80's to early 90's.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Can't say I'm looking for a performance gain. And like I said, the engineers at Dodge weren't designing for performance only. They had to worry about emissions as well. From my experience on my Dakota and many others with Dakotas, switching to the 4-hole pintle made a difference.

But judging by the lack of replies and what you posted I would have to say that it's not something that has been done, or tested in the turbo dodge community. I might try picking up a set of injectors if I can get them cheap enough just to experiment with. You can find used ones on Ebay all the time for under $50 a set.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

How much fuel mileage are we talking here?

Hybrid booster

Depending on the truck and the mods, there was about a 1mpg difference once the PCM adjusted to the flow rate of the injectors. Also a better "feel" when driving.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by HSKR View Post
    From my experience on my Dakota and many others with Dakotas, switching to the 4-hole pintle made a difference.
    The key elements on your Dakota (USCAR) injectors (4-hole/high impedance) and its return-less fuel system may not be applicable when discussing the older turbo applications.
    The single largest issue is the dissimilarity of injector impedances and the inability of the older modules peak/hold to achieve the necessary operating/latching current.
    Please insure the injector impedances fit the application, before pursuing this new approach.

Hybrid booster

Which is why I asked if there was anything special with the injectors used in these cars. I wasn't going to just blindly buy and install some injectors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    The key elements on your Dakota (USCAR) injectors (4-hole/high impedance) and its return-less fuel system may not be applicable when discussing the older turbo applications.
    The single largest issue is the dissimilarity of injector impedances and the inability of the older modules peak/hold to achieve the necessary operating/latching current.
    Please insure the injector impedances fit the application, before pursuing this new approach.
    And FWIW, Dodge didn't switch to the EV6 style injector until 2000. My '99 Dakota had EV1 style injectors.

Hybrid booster

Well, now that i have some more specifics about the stock injectors, I can see why what I proposed has never been done. Because there isn't a low impedance multi-hole pintle 30lb/hr injector available that I can find. Closest I could find was 26 lb/hr which I wouldn't not risk trying. The next closest was basically the +20 injectors which are too big for a stock set up.