Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing tonight at Wild Horse Pass (formally Firebird) in AZ

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Racing tonight at Wild Horse Pass (formally Firebird) in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    Did you end up adding more timing than the SRT values?

Did you ever try running it with 8 valve timing tables? If so how did it run? I would expect it to not have enough timing.

Does A.J. have an EGT gauge? How were the temps?
    I don't know, i never compared the two tables.

Yes, I have a video of it driving around my shops parking lot and it was a dog. The AdvanceFromRPM2 table on my 2.5 SOHC cal was a gradual slope where my 2.4 DOHC cal shoots up harder and faster.

No I don't have an EGT.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Ok, that makes sense, sounds like it's a combination of things... not to be critical of the tune (or tuner), but given how the timing was arrived at, it is probably a bit heavy on the amount of timing, and the 91 tune was probably a bit light, the fuel being the defining factor.

My crystal ball says the E85 tune will probably want less, but its qualities allowed more than optimum timing (at this boost level), if so what you've established is that there is much more"room to maneuver" with E85 without going "terminal" as would be the case with 91octane.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it! (At least until it's proven wrong, lol).

Nice job with this tune BTW, results speak loudest of all!

Mike
    The E85 tune could be heavy on the timing. We'll find out when I get it on the dyno. I don't think the 91 tune is light since we took it until it knocked and backed it off. We can't add more timing.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ethanol spools turbos much sooner. The higher the %, the sooner you spool. Seen an 800whp car spool 800-1000 rpms sooner on E98 and what that did is add 150-200+ft/lb of torque even at the same power level.
    That will make your motor seem less gutless, especially when you have a bunch of timing to throw at it.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I don't think the 91 tune is light since we took it until it knocked and backed it off. We can't add more timing.
    I understand what you're saying regarding the 91 knocking and not being able to add more timing. My angle was that, due to the limitations of the 91, even though the engine (with a higher octane fuel) would make more power with more timing, you had to use less than the ideal amount of timing, whereas the E85 was the opposite, it allowed (I'm thinking) you to go beyond the ideal amount of timing, without knock, so while it wouldn't be making maximum power, and may be adding some strain to the engine by building peak pressure a bit early, it wasn't going to self-disassemble due to knock.

In short, you could make additional power with better gasoline and more timing vs the 91 tune.

With the current E85 tune, you'll likely make more power with less than the current amount of timing, odd as that may sound!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I understand what you're saying regarding the 91 knocking and not being able to add more timing. My angle was that, due to the limitations of the 91, even though the engine (with a higher octane fuel) would make more power with more timing, you had to use less than the ideal amount of timing, whereas the E85 was the opposite, it allowed (I'm thinking) you to go beyond the ideal amount of timing, without knock, so while it wouldn't be making maximum power, and may be adding some strain to the engine by building peak pressure a bit early, it wasn't going to self-disassemble due to knock.

In short, you could make additional power with better gasoline and more timing vs the 91 tune.

With the current E85 tune, you'll likely make more power with less than the current amount of timing, odd as that may sound!

Mike
    I understand what your saying. It's just like dialing in cams. Ya it'll run but there is a sweet spot for maximum power. I'll find out when I dyno tune it.

I'll be racing tonight at Wild Horse. I was hoping to crack 12's but I'm having a hard time getting it to 20 lbs of boost without breaking up. I had to regap my plugs four times last night chasing spark blow out (now at .030") and I was really careful but I might have damaged the wires because they're so tight on the plugs. I need to come up with something better. I can run 18 lbs of boost which is more than I was running to score my 13.5 run.

I also replaced my AGP twin scroll exhaust manifold because I got it really hot and cracked it. I now have one that's ceramic coated inside and out. The last one was only ceramic coated on the outside. It was also warped where the waste gate mounts and was holding it open. My turbo to exhaust manifold gasket was also blown so I fixed two before the turbo exhaust leaks. I also upgraded the twin scroll turbine housing from a .75 AR to a 1.0 AR and that too is ceramic coated inside and out. I'm borrowing a friends Accel coil that's allowing me to run a larger gap than last time. I also installed a Ford V8 air box that is 47% bigger than the V6 one I was using last time.

When I crack 12's I'm going to put this on my van:

305 whp and 365 wtq + 3600 lb mini-van = 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. I am beyond thrilled with this.

turbo addict

305 whp and 365 wtq + 3600 lb mini-van = 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. I am beyond thrilled with this.
    Very nice!!! That is truly an accomplishment! No video????

12.6 second run.

Beating a Mustang

Beating a Corvette

Beating the same Corvette again. After the second time we saw him leaving the property.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Awesome, way to go,

Why was the van getting slower? What did you find wrong with your setup/tune?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Awesome, way to go,

Why was the van getting slower? What did you find wrong with your setup/tune?
    The 13 second run I was drifting to the left so I had to let off a little. The 12.8 runs are probably due to the fact I'm a very inconsistent driver. My intake air temp were low so it wasn't that. I was also having a hard time getting my slicks to keep spinning to get them hot so that might have had a little to do with it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Awesome AJ Was there a scale at the track to get a weight? Finally hitting its potential Nice 60' and great MPH! Props to the camera person as well, better than 95% of the YouTube strip passes

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

And your lack of power?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

And your lack of power?
    what a cheap shot, try to keep the gloves above the waistline lol

LOL, wasn't a cheap shot, trying to found out the reason but he's dodging it,

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Awesome AJ Was there a scale at the track to get a weight? Finally hitting its potential Nice 60' and great MPH! Props to the camera person as well, better than 95% of the YouTube strip passes
    No scale at the track (at least what I could see) but I used the scale at the metal recyclers and it was between 3600-3700 lbs. After removing the rear seats, spare tire, heavier front tires and rims for lighter slicks and rims I estimate it at about 3600 lbs.

I don't know what my lack of power was/is. I still think I'm lower, hp wise, then I should be but I'm basing that on what others have gotten from the 2.4 compared to what I'm getting. But with 12.6, I'm more impressed/satisfied with that than what the dyno says which is 305 whp/365 wtq. I could have 600 whp but if I can't get it to the ground and I'm running 14's who the ---- cares what's at the flywheel.

A friend of mine and I spent two days street tuning my knock scale, what is knock and what to ignore. Then when I was dyno tuning, the dyno operator/owner messed with my timing tables a lot. He also found a problem with my rev limiter tables. They were set to "progressive" limiter which pulls timing as you approach the rev limit. So now it's adjusted to cut spark and fuel when I hit the rev limiter.

When it comes to tuning I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm surprised I've gotten as far as I've had but I've also had help along the way. I'm better at building than I am at tuning.

Hybrid booster

I know brother, was just funnin

Hybrid booster

No scale at the track (at least what I could see) but I used the scale at the metal recyclers and it was between 3600-3700 lbs. After removing the rear seats, spare tire, heavier front tires and rims for lighter slicks and rims I estimate it at about 3600 lbs.

I don't know what my lack of power was/is. I still think I'm lower, hp wise, then I should be but I'm basing that on what others have gotten from the 2.4 compared to what I'm getting. But with 12.6, I'm more impressed/satisfied with that than what the dyno says which is 305 whp/365 wtq. I could have 600 whp but if I can't get it to the ground and I'm running 14's who the ---- cares what's at the flywheel.

A friend of mine and I spent two days street tuning my knock scale, what is knock and what to ignore. Then when I was dyno tuning, the dyno operator/owner messed with my timing tables a lot. He also found a problem with my rev limiter tables. They were set to "progressive" limiter which pulls timing as you approach the rev limit. So now it's adjusted to cut spark and fuel when I hit the rev limiter.

When it comes to tuning I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm surprised I've gotten as far as I've had but I've also had help along the way. I'm better at building than I am at tuning.
    not sure about the dyno #'s especially with the automatic. In my experience on the dyno, the auto's always show a lower hp level then what they are really at. I would put you around 350-360whp level.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Very nice, that's a Killer 330" for a van BTW

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Gotcha. I agree, the timeslip is for bragging rights. Wasn't there a saying about dyno numbers are for queens or something.

Keep at it A.J. You gave me the kick in the azz I needed.

Also, don't worry about tuning, just keep playing, I had to learn too, carbs and dizzy's are easy to tune. I am still learning and going to have to learn more when I switch to E85.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Record any datalogs?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast