Thread: Koni L Body Coilover Install Issues

Koni L Body Coilover Install Issues

Installed my new Coilovers on the front of my SC today, and something doesn't seem right. When I turn the wheel the whole mount moves and it seems like the suspension is binding up. Is there a special way to put on the strut mount? I put the rubber gasket on top of the coilover top hat then the bushing up into the mount.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Re: Koni L Body Coilover Install Issues

Is the upper spring hat riding on the bearing? Got pics of the set up?

No pics right now the hat has a rubber ring between it and the bearing, the ring came with the coilovers im not sure where else it could go.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

I'm having trouble picturing what you are explaining, but I suspect something on the spring hat is riding on the strut mount instead of sitting on the bearing.

I just made coilover spring seats for my GRM project. The weight of the car is resting on the bearing as it does with the stock set up, with no interference between the strut mount and the strut itself as the strut moves when the wheel is turned.

See post #30 for pics. Maybe that will help illustrate what I'm saying.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ge2&highlight=

Pat

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshadow View Post
    Installed my new Coilovers on the front of my SC today, and something doesn't seem right. When I turn the wheel the whole mount moves and it seems like the suspension is binding up. Is there a special way to put on the strut mount? I put the rubber gasket on top of the coilover top hat then the bushing up into the mount.
    The tophat for the coilover spring should ride directly on the strut mount bearing

- - - Updated - - -

The tophat for the coilover spring should ride directly on the strut mount bearing

- - - Updated - - -

FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

So where should the tophat for the coilover spring ride? Directly on the strut mount bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Okay so any idea what the rubber ring is for? it came with my hardware bag from Koni.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Okay so any idea what the rubber ring is for? it came with my hardware bag from Koni.
    can you post a picture? because I looked in both the front koni and rear koni boxes and did not find any rubber rings in the hardware kit. I think it is safe to say you don't need it.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict

I had the same issue with mine and when I did the same thing on my caravan.
    i had to do some major modifying to make it turn smooth.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

When I have some time I'm going to jack the car up and see if I can get that rubber ring off without taking the strut back off, hopefully that fixes my issue.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Mine are not binding but are a bit noisey, you only hear em at low/zero speed turning movements. Someone posted up a number for those flat roller bearing 'plates' They seem like a good idea...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL