Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Shadowfax: show us the meaning of haste!

Re: Project Shadowfax: show us the meaning of haste!

Looked underneath the car and found the leak.

Any thoughts or recommendations before i pull it apart?
    Also pulled the center console. Shifter itaelf looks fine. Lots of play when in 2nd and fourth gear when engaged. I think I'm overshooting the gear.
    Also washed it up

Went through the receipts and updated the modifications list based on what I was able too find.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Im not good with dates (especially on events more than 10 years ago) but I think it was in 2002 that my oldest brother lost his well paying printing industry job when the shop he worked for closed. His 89 Mitsu Mirage turbo had 300K miles and the bonehead dealer tech didn't retorque the cam belt tensioner after belt change/service so the pistons met valves essentially totaling the car. I found your Shadow on Craiglist (cant recall what city my other brother would know) it ran rough and the paint was terrible. I picked it up for about $1350. got it painted and did the basics to make it run well. My middle bro Duncan and I did all the work while oldest and non mechanical Bro stayed out of the way (mostly, he tried to 'learn' the stuff we were doing). We intercooled it using a stock TII Rad/IC set up, replaced the noisey 523(which was rebuilt a few years later with an OBX and is in my Yellow TC Masi) with a low milage J Yard 523, added the power seat(it didn't have a sub harness for power, we had to make one and I think we may have added the power mirrors too, not sure so many TM's have passed to my siblings thru me). THat was about it, he daily drove it for 4-5 years and it was a good match for him until some chick he was hanging out with (not even dating or getting any from IIRC) started giving him a hard time about having such an old car and I think she didn't want to ride in it without a passenger airbag? All I remember was that she was a b!tch and he ended up 'upgrading' to a few years old Pontiac G6 which he still drives and its still a mundane POS. Enter Chuck S. He knows cars and has had a few TM's along the way. He was working for Banks Turbo Engineering at the time and had access a few talented builders/fabricators thru the shop. From the pics you can see he did a really quality build up tho I'm not sure if it was the subsequent marriage or birth of the kid(s) that kept him from 'finishing' the tuning. 7 PSI and stock injectors That thing *deserves* to be 300WHPI hope we see in this progess thread 3-4 seconds coming off those strip times

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Yeah wife and kids have changed his outlook on things. Funny thing is I just got married and am now finally pursuing my dream of tinkering on cars

For the stock injectors and 7 psi...he had larger injectors in and was tuning for 10 psi. Things changed and the project went to the side. He then let his dad borrow the car for DD, and went back to stock injectors and 7 psi to keep his dad from hammering the car, lol.
    I need to work on my driving skills first. I am sure I can get the car below 14.5 as is. The tune may just be way off and sucking the life from the car though. Chuck is sending me all the equipment to data log and burn eproms. Spent last night tinkering around with mptune. Biggest issue imo is the change if VE due to major flow changes.
    Goal for this car is 11.99.
    I was wondering about the power seat and mirrors. Seemed a bit out of place, considering the crank windows.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Where exactly is the oil coming from out of the trans?

Looks like the plate against the transaxle house in the picture. Not 100% positive. Haven't had a chance to pull it for inspection.

Tinkered around with the shifter cable and cleaned up the trans so I could see where leak is coming from. Fired up the car, and had a rough time getting it to start. Whole place reeked of gas. I think its trying to start way too rich. Shift is still a bit loose. Once it's in 2nd or 4th it can pull back a bit further, causing me to miss the gear if I get excited and pull too hard on it, during spirited driving.
    Parked it for now, until I get the equipment to tune the car from Chuck. Tempted to put an Ostrich on order...

Isn't that where Turbovanman shattered his transmission a couple years ago?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

If that axle seal is original (its blue and oem chrysler seals were blue coated to stand out as being the 'updated' seal vs the older ones from way,way back) then its probably time for a replacement.

Shouldnt be, the trans was rebuilt by previous owner. Ill verify with him first...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I would say that is a good ET for 7 psi and for an 80 mph trap. However, i think that trap speed is several mph lower than it should be, given how the rest of the slip looked. Did you coast after missing 4th? Did you trap higher on other runs?

As for the shifting issue, i would look first at the part of the cable between the holding bracket and the shift arm on the transmission. This will be the cable running 'side to side' in the engine bay. If the cable is not bulging sideways in that area, i would check to make sure the cable sheath did not melt open from contacting the exhaust downpipe, letting the cable bulge out in that area. You cannot 'overshoot' 2nd or 4th so pulling TOO far back is not going to make you miss a shift. I suspect you checked the cables by yourself. To see if the cable is bulging sideways, you really need two people, one in the car and one under the hood.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Only did one other run, which was slower. Definitely need more practice.
    Yeah I checked by myself. I will get someone over here to help with checking the cables...

So the Shadow has been out of commission for a little while. Was having issues with running rich on cold start, and dying. Turned out to be a bad coolant temp sensor. Car is running great again, and I was able to drive it around yesterday.
    I drove in a lot of traffic, in an effort to get more familiar with the clutch and see if I could get a better idea of what is going on with the shifter.
    When I shift into second the shif rod goes inti place, but I can feel the cable slowly sliding the trans into gear. Theres a delay between me moving the shifter and the trans actually going into gear. Its about a full second delay, which if I am trying to shift quickly causes it to not be in gear by the time I let out the clutch. Same happens with fourth gear. No grinding is occurring at all.
    I think Saturday I'm going back to the track and working on ny driving skill. I was just dropping the clutch at the line and causing wheel hop all through first. We will see how it goes. Going to also try and stay calm and shift slowly, makinh sure its in gear in second and fourth.

Chances are both of your problems stem from the wheel hop. Galloping wheels and drivetrains tear up lotza stuff ,hoses, linkage, bearings, brakes, wires. I've had it break the mirror off. And a"floppy" trans is hard to shift.

Thats what Im thinking, but wondering how to get the cables working, even when there is no wheel hop :/
    As for the wheel hop itself I am thinking I will replace the struts/shocks and bushings all around.

The Willem progammer just arrived today! Chuck finally sent it over and explained how to set it up. Looking forward to trying it out.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

very cool. You'll be getting some great results in no time.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Have someone move the shifter with the car off while ypou watch the cable ends, you might need to be under the car. I'll bet the 'swedge' end of the cable is loose and the cable is backing out of the holddown bracket when you shift. I lost 2-4 gear at Fontana Auto Club roadcourse track a few years back and was able to limp it into the pits with the odd numbered gears Then I used a whole buncha safety wire to essentially build a safety wire 'cage' top keep the cable end in check. Heck, I think that same cable and cage are still on that car

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Swedge?

Also why won't tapatalk let me change my profile picture?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast