Thread: Masi 16v retrofit questions

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Masi 16v retrofit questions

I would like to know about some difficulties I may encounter in attempting to install a Masi 16v engine into an older turbo Mopar such as my Shelby Lancer.

1. Can I make a throttle body work without the crazy brackets/adapters used in the Chrysler 16v Maserati by TC? What will I have to do to say..use te the typical 52mm throttle body without the brackets/adapters?? Throttle cable might have to be longer?

2. Will a TII rad/intercooler work with the Masi 16v intake manifold? Seems like it would. If so, what about the radiator fan? I can install a low-profile radiator fan if needed.

3. Can I use a non-A/C bracket from an 8v application in lieu of the Masi 16v A/C bracket? I do not care to have A/C because I live in Wyoming.

4. I plan to use an A568 transaxle. Any issues I should be aware of since I'm not using the Getrag 284 trans these 16v cars came with originally?

5. Is there a readily available timing belt out there?

6. Is there a web page out there that covers timing belt replacement? I'm sure I can figure it out, but more info the better.

Hybrid booster

Re: Masi 16v retrofit questions

Ok... My experience is fitting the Masi engine in a 1990 Van with 5spd..

1) I just used the wacky Masi setup... It worked with my stock throttle cable and was easy.. I imagine you could have a cable made to make the other setup work, but some of that bracketry might end up close to the radiator or in the way of stuff.. I dunno.. I didn't think about it to much.. I just went the easy way.

2) I have the stock Masi intercooler radiator setup running in the van. I built this little stand years ago with some sections of tube and some large washers which basically bolts into a van allowing me to bolt in a daytona radiator intercooler setup... It is tight.. but clears the intake no problem.

3) I am using a non A/C bracket on my Masi.. I don't know if I may have had something else a bit off or what but I had to clearance the inside of the Non A/C bracket just a bit to clear the Masi timing belt.

4) Just use the proper flywheel from the 568/523/555/520 and you will have no problems. The Masi fllywheel I think is a bit different.. I didn't have any troubles..

5) I just bought a Gates T120 Fits 1991 Alfa 164 with 3.0 V6... Tooth count and pitch looks to be the same.. I have yet to try it..

(link has the info... they can be found even cheaper)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2376&ppt=C0141

6) I can upload a picture of the FSM showing the timing marks for ya.. remind me if I forget.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'd say Viper covered those questions pretty well When I pulled the failed 284 Getrag out of my Yellow TC Masi to swap for a OBX/523 of all things the tin from the Masi wouldn't fit Not that it's a hard bit to find but it did required another trip to the Yard. I did also swap to a standard 52mm TB and sourced a cable outta the yard. Sure helps hooking up the IC to TB hose without that goofy (and heavy!) bracket in the way.

I thought I had pics loaded here of the TB conversion and I found some from the weekend I did it but I don't think these show much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV401130.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	340.4 KB 
ID:	49179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0391.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	399.5 KB 
ID:	49180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0921.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	49181  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

58mm throttle body with minivan bracket fits right on. S