Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat's GRM Rampage Project - $2014

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Pat's GRM Rampage Project - $2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Started body fabrication over the last few weeks...here's where I am with the left rear quarter. Not finished, but the look is starting to come together. With the wider track axle, autox wheels/tires (not on the car in the pic) fit nicely now. Will post pics/detail when time permits.
    Didn't Shelby do something along those lines with his street fighter Rampage prototype?

BTW, love the project, can't wait to see it finished and kicking butt at GRM!!!

turbo addict

So what's the powerplant going to be in this thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Didn't Shelby do something along those lines with his street fighter Rampage prototype?

BTW, love the project, can't wait to see it finished and kicking butt at GRM!!!
    Yes, similar. I was pretty excited when I saw the pics of that when it was found at the JY a year or so ago. I've had this vision in my head about a box flared Rampage for a few years. Seeing that car started got me pretty amped up to actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    So what's the powerplant going to be in this thing?
    Not positive just yet. I right now have very viable options...depends on the condition of the motors, what I can swing budget wise and how much fab I have time to do to make them work. I could go: 2.2 8v, 2.2 T-III, 2.5 hybrid or full 2.4. Believe it or not, right now the most budget friendly is either the 2.2 T-III or the 2.4, but from a fabrication standpoint, the T-III is the easiest and since I know them inside and out, I wouldn't need much in the way of test time. I'd actually like to go hybrid for this event but it's looking like that direction would hit the budget the hardest.

In the end, it's really going to depend on what these motors look like when I open them up. If everything turns out to be a POS except one, then I'll use the one that's not a POS. This is a bit of a hold up for me at the moment though, because which engine I use will dictate which trans or combination of transmissions I use (for gearing).

Until I have all of the motors in my garage (last motor gets picked up at SDAC), I'm just going to focus on the body, then the roll bar, then brakes. I have plenty to do until then.

So Alan's taunts of "no sleep for you!" and "stop posting online and get back to work!" have re-inspired me to get back to work on the Rampage.

Just kidding Alan...it was actually all the cool people and cars I saw at SDAC!

Finished up the major metal work on the both rear quarters, including the inner wheel wells, which was a total pain in the tail. Here's a quick shot of the right rear since I posted most of what the left rear looked like already. Finishing the fenders later this week, then it's onto body work and some sort of roll bar/cage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rampage right.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	50796  

Any updates?

Hey Ed...

Yeah, I have a few updates.

The fab work is done on the front fenders. The upper fills, front fills where I sectioned the fender to run back into the nose properly and the fills at the back vent cut so you can't see as much inside the fender. Right fender is all welded, left fender is almost all welded. Both need to have the welds ground down.

Bed inner side panels have been cut to fit around the rear strut towers. Didn't come out great, but with some additional work, will look fine. A bit irritated I didn't think how I was doing that through more. Don't have any pics yet.

Other news is...I'm throwing in the towel on finishing the car for this years GRM. I didn't get nearly far enough this spring and while I've been hoping it would happen, I concluded last weekend there really is no chance. Family time is too precious to sacrifice and my job has changed drastically (all good), so something has to give.

I'm absolutely going to finish the car, it just won't be done by mid October. I'm debating if I finish the build as a GRM car and run it in 2015 or if build the car I want and not worry about the budget. I have to admit, I'm leaning towards the latter. We'll see...no rush to make that decision.

I'll keep posting project updates as I have them. I have a few in progress pics that I tried to post of what the car looks like now, but TM isn't taking them. I'll try again later.

Pat

turbo addict

I gotta say, you guys are 100%'rs and have done so well every time you've gone, and took the whole thing twice in a row (would be cool to see a hat trick)...I think a break for a year isn't out of the question. You guys will be missed for sure, but hey, you have some pretty darn good reasons!

I think you should just build the car you want. You've been constrained all this time, so I think you should just throw down! Maybe they would let you run it as a exhibition car in 2016 if you finish it. I honestly don't think that would be too much to ask. Of course they don't want to take focus away from the event, so if they said "no" I personally wouldn't hold it against them, although I would be disappointed.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post

I'm absolutely going to finish the car, it just won't be done by mid October. I'm debating if I finish the build as a GRM car and run it in 2015 or if build the car I want and not worry about the budget. I have to admit, I'm leaning towards the latter. We'll see...no rush to make that decision.

Pat
    So what your saying is this rampage will get some TIII love!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I think you've proved what you can accomplish with minimal monetary resources. Time to unleash your capabilities.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I think you've proved what you can accomplish with minimal monetary resources. Time to unleash your capabilities.
    +1. I want to see an all out L-body pickup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    So what your saying is this rampage will get some TIII love!
    Maybe...I know a guy in PA that makes some cool t3 parts. :-)

Garrett booster

That stinks that you can't finish the car for this year. I know how you feel: my own $20xx project has been sitting in the garage for about 4 years unfinished.

Are you guys still planning on coming? We will be there in some capacity, and may or may not be turbocharging an AMC Spirit in the hotel parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    That stinks that you can't finish the car for this year. I know how you feel: my own $20xx project has been sitting in the garage for about 4 years unfinished.

Are you guys still planning on coming? We will be there in some capacity, and may or may not be turbocharging an AMC Spirit in the hotel parking lot.
    The plan is for some group of us to go. Bill has a neon he wants to bring down if he can get a clutch in it. We will see.
    Last edited by Pat; 08-07-2014 at 08:50 PM.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I agree, take your time and make it killer.

Garrett booster

WOW - I've missed out on a lot of this build, but it looks absolutely fantastic!

Garrett booster

Keep up the excellent work. I'm itching to adapt a "dual pivot" K-frame to my Rampage for its next adventure. More power and more speed!!!

I'll post more later - keyboard is acting wonky right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmugg View Post
    Keep up the excellent work. I'm itching to adapt a "dual pivot" K-frame to my Rampage for its next adventure. More power and more speed!!!

I'll post more later - keyboard is acting wonky right now.....

Thanks! I do have more pictures I should post showing what has been done. The project did slow down a bit in recent months, but I have pics of the car with all the metal work done on the fenders/quarters. Right now it's sitting with a quick coat of primer on them awaiting body work. Next steps are to figure out air dam/possible splitter and some modifications to the hood after I get a different mock up motor in there. Then it's roll bar or cage, body work and paint.

I've been periodically following your build. I really love what you've done with the car. Nice work!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Oh god i've just realized that Pat's rampage could challenge Steve's for my favorite rampage evar, thus causing an internal struggle that will wrack my brain for all of time! :O

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

I realized I don't have any pictures of it after the welding was finished or when the primer was sprayed on the bare metal, but here are a few shots that show some of the progress made. Seeing the pictures again really makes me want to get back on the project soon!

Oh, and as you can see by the door, the Hellcats have nothing on the Hell 'Page. Ha ha!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3586.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	52149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3585.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	52148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3587.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	52150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3588.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	52151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3589.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	981.2 KB 
ID:	52152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4125.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	52153  

turbo addict

Maybe its my BMW fever but Im seeing a lot of e30 m3 in those fender flares.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast