Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat's GRM Rampage Project - $2014

boostaholic

Re: Pat's GRM Rampage Project - $2014

Anybody know if Vegas covers the GMS Challenge?

Hybrid booster

You think there would be any benefit to running a panhard bar on a L-body with a stock twist beam? In the fox body world, the rear axle would deflect up to 3" total, and that was with 4 rear control arms (quadra-bind) locating the rear axle. I imagine a L-body could have similar issues.

Pat, I may employ you to make me stuff one day, you know, after you're done winning the GRM stuff, and your kids grow up and move out

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post

Pat, I may employ you to make me stuff one day, you know, after you're done winning the GRM stuff, and your kids grow up and move out
    You know, that's a pretty good idea.

Pat, I'll give you $2014 to finish my Horizon.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post

Does it count towards the budget if we buy you supplies, and you perform labor in return?

You think there would be any benefit to running a panhard bar on a L-body with a stock twist beam? In the fox body world, the rear axle would deflect up to 3" total, and that was with 4 rear control arms (quadra-bind) locating the rear axle. I imagine a L-body could have similar issues.

I bet there is some movement of an l body axle, but I wonder if that is a bad thing or not. Some rear axle movement in a FWD gives the effect of helping the car rotate (a 4 wheel steer effect). On a RWD car like a Mustang, getting on the power with the rear moving around would make the car a handful I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post

Sure...as long as I can define finished. :-)

Does it count towards the budget if we buy you supplies, and you perform labor in return?
    Yep....if I don't buy a part or material, I have to apply fair market value to that part or material and be able to back itp with ads, ebay prices or something along those lines.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Wait, I thought you were building a TC Masi for this years event? I missed the first couple days of this thread but for sure gonna follow it from here I'm amazed that such innovation can be done for so cheaply, you do have a big brain Sir

I saw this one a few weeks back in a local yard Looks familiar eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140224_144000.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	523.1 KB 
ID:	49214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140224_143918.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	556.8 KB 
ID:	49215  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I bet there is some movement of an l body axle, but I wonder if that is a bad thing or not. Some rear axle movement in a FWD gives the effect of helping the car rotate (a 4 wheel steer effect). On a RWD car like a Mustang, getting on the power with the rear moving around would make the car a handful I would think.
    With the fox body cars, it was a handful mostly because as the body would roll and the rear would walk around, the bushings and control arms would bind and somewhat preload. The feeling going through a switchback is kinda how you would think being on a motorcycle, knee dragging left, then standing the bike up to knee drag to the right. Go through the first turn, and when you start to change direction, the rear would feel like it was "springing" to the other direction. It was not pleasant.

In the f-bodies, the auto-x and road race guys do what they can to eliminate "roll steer"

You have much more experience than I do with this since I've hardly even pushed my L-body, but I figured having the roll steer effect would make it a little less predictable and/or stable.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Wait, I thought you were building a TC Masi for this years event? I missed the first couple days of this thread but for sure gonna follow it from here I'm amazed that such innovation can be done for so cheaply, you do have a big brain Sir

I saw this one a few weeks back in a local yard Looks familiar eh?

Man, I shed a tear when I see a truck like that in a scrap yard. Around here, that's a very good, restorable shell. Wish I had those bed rails...

turbo addict

I HAVE to follow this!

Hybrid booster

Looks good so far. I hope to steal your K frame set up on my omni soon. not this winter tho, I got cought up in house renos and never got a chance to work on the car. Good news is since I never took it apart its ready to go for spring

ohh, and I would so roll in some new bearings and run it that

turbo addict

Pat
    i might have some "blems" for your project if I have an item you need.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Thanks, everyone! I pretty excited about this project. Can't wait to drive it!

Johnny- I may be hitting you up once I get a better idea of what I need and how much budget I have left. Thanks so much for the offer!

Worked on the car some today. Did the second upper spring seat, assembled both front struts and dropped it down. Looks like it will work out just fine.

Barry and I then started measuring and cutting into the bed and wheel wells to mount the shocks/springs. We had used Konis from a wrecked GLHS that I think we are going to use. Nothing is final fit, but they are in there to get an idea of how it will come together. Need to build mounts, but might do the main hoop and rear down bars first. I'd like to tie the mounts to the down bars.

By the way, if anyone needs a Rampage rear window let me know. Going to sell the one we removed today to get some budget recoup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	49260  
    Last edited by Pat; 03-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.

turbo addict

Nce. Cant wait to see what you come up with for mounts.

Looking good! Can't wait to see the completed project.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I pretty excited about this project. Can't wait to drive it!

Johnny- I may be hitting you up once I get a better idea of what I need and how much budget I have left. Thanks so much for the offer!

Worked on the car some today. Did the second upper spring seat, assembled both front struts and dropped it down. Looks like it will work out just fine.

Barry and I then started measuring and cutting into the bed and wheel wells to mount the shocks/springs. We had used Konis from a wrecked GLHS that I think we are going to use. Nothing is final fit, but they are in there to get an idea of how it will come together. Need to build mounts, but might do the main hoop and rear down bars first. I'd like to tie the mounts to the down bars.

By the way, if anyone needs a Rampage rear window let me know. Going to sell the one we removed today to get some budget recoup.
    Great, I've been looking for some rear Rampage glass, so hard to find! $300. plus shipping OK?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Great, I've been looking for some rear Rampage glass, so hard to find! $300. plus shipping OK?
    PM'ing you!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Pat, I think you should buy some stickers off of Alan for your personal tool box for $700, then he can afford to buy your rare glass for $1000 instead of a measly $300.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

ahhh, now for a different question. The rear axle and suspension swap.... any weight savings?

boostaholic

What about swapping a neon IRS into a rampage?

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Pat, I think you should buy some stickers off of Alan for your personal tool box for $700, then he can afford to buy your rare glass for $1000 instead of a measly $300.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    ahhh, now for a different question. The rear axle and suspension swap.... any weight savings?
    Should be, but I really dont know how much. I will weigh everything once I am done mocking it up. I can say that leaf spring and solid axle set up was very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    What about swapping a neon IRS into a rampage?
    Thought about it, but didn't think it would be worth it. By the time a Neon has enough bar on the back to get it to rotate enough for autocross, it's practically a twist beam car anyway.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast