Thread: Rear leaf helper springs on a mini-van?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Rear leaf helper springs on a mini-van?

Ha anybody installed them on their van and how did/do you like them? I'd like to stiffen up the rear of my van a little. When I hit a dip or a bump the back slams down. I don't want air shocks. I put them in my Dad's wagon and I don't like the ride. I don't want air bags because of the cost and the time to install or do the fabrication. I heard a helper-leaf will make it too stiff. I need some opinions.

turbo addict

Re: Rear leaf helper springs on a mini-van?

Which KYB shocks do you have in the back now?

turbo addict

Ya, you just need good shocks? KYB gas-a-just!!!!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

He's looking for more load carrying capacity guys, when he hits a big bump it bottoms out to the snubbers. Shocks are for controlling rebound except for the airshocks that do kinda suck, I used to run them on the back of my SL to load the fronts at the drags. Anyway AJ, the Rampage RT came with a helper leaf by Helwig installed by the PO. It did the job but it did make the ride harsh like you thought it might. I ditched them when I did the airbags. As you know, Rampage's are super light back there, on a 'heavy' Mini they might not be harsh at all...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

It turns out my rear shocks are bad, doh', but I'd still like opinions from people who have installed helper springs on their mini's. Thanks for the input Alan but I think the weight difference between the Rampage and a van are too different for me to make a decision on how they performed for you.

Hybrid booster

A couple of things to consider when adding to the rear suspension on minivans. If your van does not have 4 wheel abs then it most likely has a height sensing pressure valve on the left rear spring. Adding air shocks or spring helpers stops that valve from adding pressure to the rear brakes when the van has extra load in it. A lot of people do it but it is something to consider. If you want to keep the ride height without making it super harsh riding try to find a used set of nivomat shocks on a Chrysler Town and Country minivan from the late ninety's. My 97 had them. They have a hydraulic pump built inside and when the rear is loaded it pumps up after you hit a couple of bumps to get the vehicle back to stock ride height. I put several hundred pounds in the back of my van and it never stayed squatted. Drive a quarter mile and it was level again. When you remove the load the suspension settles back down. Its a great system. The only problem they had was the bushing in the ends wore out sometimes. Chrysler sells them separately and you can press them in. The shocks are expensive new but most junk yards have no idea what they are worth so you can usually get them cheap. They are twice as big around as regular shocks so they are easy to spot. Here is a video that explains it better.
    Last edited by rgl10; 03-02-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added video

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    A couple of things to consider when adding to the rear suspension on minivans. If your van does not have 4 wheel abs then it most likely has a height sensing pressure valve on the left rear spring. Adding air shocks or spring helpers stops that valve from adding pressure to the rear brakes when the van has extra load in it. A lot of people do it but it is something to consider. If you want to keep the ride height without making it super harsh riding try to find a used set of nivomat shocks on a Chrysler Town and Country minivan from the late ninety's. My 97 had them. They have a hydraulic pump built inside and when the rear is loaded it pumps up after you hit a couple of bumps to get the vehicle back to stock ride height. I put several hundred pounds in the back of my van and it never stayed squatted. Drive a quarter mile and it was level again. When you remove the load the suspension settles back down. Its a great system. The only problem they had was the bushing in the ends wore out sometimes. Chrysler sells them separately and you can press them in. The shocks are expensive new but most junk yards have no idea what they are worth so you can usually get them cheap. They are twice as big around as regular shocks so they are easy to spot. Here is a video that explains it better.
    My van does not have ABS, it has 4 wheel disc brakes, and the load leveler removed. Those shocks are a neat idea but how long do they last? Most shocks/struts don't last beyond 60,000 miles. Getting shocks from a junk yard is like putting on your dirty underwear back on after a shower.

Hybrid booster

I've have not seen a set go bad yet and many of these vans have 200,000 plus miles on them over WV roads which is a torture test for sure. The bushings do fail but the last set I bought were about 12 dollars each I think. If you could fine a set with under a 100,000 most of the time they would last at least that long again.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    My van does not have ABS, it has 4 wheel disc brakes, and the load leveler removed. Those shocks are a neat idea but how long do they last? Most shocks/struts don't last beyond 60,000 miles. Getting shocks from a junk yard is like putting on your dirty underwear back on after a shower.
    Just turn them inside out

After I changed to Grand Caravan leafs and had them dearched, I noticed the front brakes (upgraded to 11.25") were doing all the work. I ended up just preloading the pressure/weight sensing valave a given amount by wiring it with safety wire so the valve would always think there was more load. Braking is much better now with less front dive and the rears don't lock prematurely tho they have a couple times under hard braking while turning. That was what I wanted tho as I was in a parking lot with a load of my sons friends back there and was trying to bring Woody into the spot sideways THey thought I was pretty awesome after that-they were right BTW

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    I've have not seen a set go bad yet and many of these vans have 200,000 plus miles on them over WV roads which is a torture test for sure. The bushings do fail but the last set I bought were about 12 dollars each I think. If you could fine a set with under a 100,000 most of the time they would last at least that long again.
    I'll keep my eye open for them next time I go. I wonder if my Mom will notice if I take the ones off of her '06 Gr Caravan?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Just turn them inside out

After I changed to Grand Caravan leafs and had them dearched, I noticed the front brakes (upgraded to 11.25") were doing all the work. I ended up just preloading the pressure/weight sensing valave a given amount by wiring it with safety wire so the valve would always think there was more load. Braking is much better now with less front dive and the rears don't lock prematurely tho they have a couple times under hard braking while turning. That was what I wanted tho as I was in a parking lot with a load of my sons friends back there and was trying to bring Woody into the spot sideways THey thought I was pretty awesome after that-they were right BTW
    With the load leveler removed I should have full flow of brake fluid to the rears now. I removed mine because of the rear disc install. I wasn't sure how it would react with disc instead of drum brakes. I have 11's in the front and back but I'm using the car master cylinder. I need to put a larger master in at some point.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I had a '98 T&C w/o nivomat...I added the Monroe shocks w/ helper springs...didn't notice any worse ride comfort but did help towing utility trailer after Katrina.