Thread: 523 shim questions , cables where to get?

523 shim questions , cables where to get?

first off ive never worked on a ply./dodge before.. and dont have a good book

so im swaping a 523 into a acclaim.. seems to be pretty straight forward i have tranny petals and shifter.. auto tranny is out of car clutch flywheel are ready to bolt on.

1. the input shaft has alill up down play nothing bad but while its out i want to fix the issue.. so i took off the release bearing and the seal housing. which shows a roller bearing which has a shim which preloads it, which would remove the play. Now where can you get the shims and what is the spec preload it should be under?

2. missing cables thats an issue.. where should i order shift cables for the car from? anyone have used ones? i see that rockauto.com has them for 34.95, but only shows one, are the 2 cables the same?

any help would be great
    Last edited by be158; 08-29-2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: .

Hybrid booster

Re: 523 shim questions , cables where to get?

1. The shims are ordered from the dealer. You'll need to measure how much play you have with a dial indicator, measure the existing shim, then add the two together and add .006 for the preload and order the correct size shim from the dealer. They run about $2-3 and depending on what size you need and what depot they're coming from can take up to a week to get.

2. For used cables, try the F/S section here or on turbododge. For new I prefer cable from the dealer, but they're more expense.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

2022 Viper runs 9s

are the shift cables the same on the 523 tranny cars? i dont have the old ones to go on i know there are 2 cables but they look like they would be different anyone know if they are interchangeable?

also would it be recommened to just shim the tranny i have or tear it down and put new bearings in it?

Well, chances are the tranny has 100k+ on it, so I'm sure it could use bearings. If you plan to put some serious miles on it, a rebuild will save you time and effor tdown the road.

If you are on a budget, then you can try resetting the end play (I always go towards the tight side...zero play on new bearings). The diff carrier bearings are usually the first to go in the later trannies. If you want to set your mind at rest, you can pull the bearing retainers for the diff and inspect them. If they are starting to look chewed-up, it's time for a rebuild.

done some searching,, havent came up with any how to's for rebuild 523s any links online showing some instruction or any place i can buy a good manual?

Get the factory service manual. It tells you everything you need to know. They are very useful in general...everyone should have their model year's FSM on a shelf (or collect them all!).

OK there is no way im buying shift cables from the dealer.. you dont even want to know how much they want for both of them!!!

278 bucks?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

$304...

did rockauto.com have both cables or just one?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

they only have one ,, tho it is different than the one on the same year auto car.. seems odd they only have one.

It might be the auto trans shifter cable. I think NAPA also listed one cable and it turned out to be the auto shifter cable in stead.

Advance Auto Parts lists one for the M/T. Only one. The "crossover"
    2022 Viper runs 9s

i went to work late went to a few junkyards this morning got a set of shift cables for 10$ total ! pretty sweet

also i checked the preload on the imput shaft was alill sloppy i had some shims left over from my vw 5 speed tranny work i did.. guess what they fit the input shaft of the 523.. pretty crazy.. the ring and pinon shim of a vw fit... so its now preloaded and ready to go.