Thread: 89 Lancer Shelby: What to look for when checking out a potential car to buy? and $$$?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

89 Lancer Shelby: What to look for when checking out a potential car to buy? and $$$?

Found a decent 89 Lancer Shelby for sale.

texas car, with texas car paint. 2.2 intercooled/555, leather, power everything, factory sun roof, digital console 'thingy', and lots of other bells and whistles. has good dunlop rubber on lace wheels. 94,939 miles.

Red paint has typical paint fade, and some spots on the roof that are sun faded to the primer.

Interior is in pretty good shape with normal cracked leather on drivers seat.

Has multiple suspension and engine mounts replaced with what looks like poly bushings. Has FWD Performance computer, grainger valve, boost gauge, all the normal add ons.

Car is a runner driver recently out of texas. Right now it looks like i could buy it and drive it with out having to do anything.

I know one typical issue with these is the rear wheel lips rusting out, but these are fine. I does have some rust on the rear hatch below the rear window.

basically I want to know what specific items to look at, and what do you guys think a fair price is.

Mods/upgrades list:
    1) FWD Performance SMEC
    2) Wabro 255
    3) injectors
    4) grainger
    5) new 2.5" exhaust
    6) poly engine mounts
    7) poly trans mounts
    8) new KYB struts / shocks
    9) magnacore wires
    10) boost gauge

Compression: 130 PSI on all 4 cylinders. spark plugs look great.

thanks!
    Clay
    Last edited by Clay; 03-05-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: 89 Lancer Shelby: What to look for when checking out a potential car to buy? and

Look for rust in the rocker panels and in the rear wheel house where the rocker meets the wheelhouse.
    In the front look for rust on the firewall behind the front wheel and along the firewall where the floor and firewall meet.

Hybrid booster

Re: 89 Lancer Shelby: What to look for when checking out a potential car to buy? and

You got that right also under the rear hatch and along the windshield. Another spot was the rear spring perches. Upper.

You didn't say how many miles are on it. I would say in the $2000 to $2500 range.

I always forget something

94,939 miles

thanks for the info so far everyone!!
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

looked at the car the other day and other than the hatch, the underside of the car is rust free. Absolutely beautiful! I also noticed it had magnacore wires, new front brakes, and a brand new 2.5" exhaust.

It drives about like it should from what I can tell, and it definitely has poly motor and tranny mounts. Entire car shakes like crazy at an idle. If I get it those will probably be removed since I'll be driving this one.

anyway, does anyone have any more thoughts on this one? I go today to do a compression check.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Checked compression today and it looks good. 130 PSI on all 4 cylinders. spark plugs look great.

so, last time, whats this thing worth?
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

What are your plans for the car? Much of the value is what its worth to you! Big difference if it is strictly an investment...If it is a daily driver or weekend car...you will certainly get your money out of it...especially FUN FACTOR compared to what similar vehicles would cost...if you keep it long enough it should appreciate...although not much love right now.

It is a nice looking Lancer...nice that you can get leather w/ 5 speed unlike Shelby Lancer.
    Did you see the white Lancer that was posted either here or TD? He also wanted $5000-$6000, but it was low mileage.

Between rust and the 'O' clunker program...too many future classics are GONE! Please STORE IT in the WINTER!!

it would be a daily driver during the spring/summer/fall. just a fun back and forth to work car really.

the reason Im asking about price, if I buy it, decide I don't like it and want to sell it I just want to make sure Im not going to loose to much on it. Right now I think I would be into it right, but I want to power of the TM brain trust to give their opinion
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

It seems this very lancer has been for sale few times in the last 6-9 months. Saw it few times on ebay for around $22-2400.

well the guy that got it to my area bought it out of texas, and he bought it on ebay. I tried to find the auction just to see what the auction said was on the car, and how much it sold for, but found out the other day he actually bought it around October 2013, so the ebay auction is long gone.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

From what I can remember from the add, the owner made it seem like they either worked for FWD or had them do most of the work. Maybe Cindy could shed little bit of info on it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

is it a red one? post up some pictures.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Yes, its red. I've got pictures at home, will post some tonight.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

OK, pictures added to the first post.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Lurking

Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Man, it is nice to come into a Lancer Shelby thread and think "thats a good looking car" and remember you own one now. Funny, i never figured i'd dish out for a lancer shelby or shelby lancer, but now i've owned both and still have the LS.

Those wheels look surprisingly good on it. Add a little bit of wheel spacer and they'll look even better. Way better than the shelby css i've got on my 88. Looks like the PO put some serious rubber on it too.. Dunlop Z1 Star Spec?

Id say low 2s is a good number for this car, but buying a TM with thoughts of reselling and getting your money back out is.. risky. How much do you care about 500-1000$? If you drive it for 8 months and get bored and lose $800 you basically rented a turbo 5 spd car for $3/day. Who cares! Go get it!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

What about the options Clay , does everything ( A/C ,Radio,etc) work?. Rust in the spare well?