Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Porting Exhaust Manifold

Help Porting Exhaust Manifold

I have my stock manifold off and would like to do some porting. Could someone please post some pics of a ported mani? I need to know how much material to take off and where.

Also, what tool and bits should I use for the job?

turbo addict

Re: Help Porting Exhaust Manifold

I started doing a bit of one. I don't know how to do it properly, was just messing around, but the bits I found worked were a spherical metal bit with some teeth on it for taking off the crap in there, and then a carbide bit once I was at just metal (no rust and dirt). The flexible extension for the dremel helps a lot, as does a well placed light and some kind of air circulation (compressor blowing it out or a good vacuum sucking out the other end.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Use a respirator or at least a dust mask. The combustion residue bulidup in the manifold is very unhealthy.

So you guys use a dremel? I heard they will burn up pretty quick from porting cast iron.

i ported one with a dremel and the thing is still going strong today. But its kinda slow id recomend a nibbler for an air compressor.

Yeah, I've used dremels for cutting tiles and such and they do burn out (especially when they are forced to breath ceramic tile dust). Still, they are small and a handy tool for the job so I use them anyway and buy a new one when it croaks.

My grandfather was a woodworker and he had this hanging dremel-on-steriods thing that had a huge motor and a long flex cable with a nice, small handle on the end. Had the same 1/8" chuck as the dremel and had a lot more torque, LOL. If I ever find a similar one somewhere for cheap I'll pick it up.

turbo addict

i used an air die grinder with a long mandrel and a carbide bit for rough work...then stones and finally a 'cross-buff' to polish the internals (you can see your reflection)...

Well, you obviously can't reach certain parts, but in general smooth the inside as much as possible, and open up the holes, there are lips on the head side that you can remove, and I opened up the turbo side a little bit, but other than removing the lips and general smoothing, I spent the most time polishing...

you can make a dremel extention work in an electric drill, this is what I used to polish my head, but the drill did burn up eventually...

turbo addict

I recomend making a template of your turbine housing(after you port it out and smoothe it), then put in on the exhaust flange and make it just a little smaller/smooth transition

I will use a dremel and carbide tips then, thanks guys. Anyone have close up pics of a good port job on the stock exhaust manifold?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar
    My grandfather was a woodworker and he had this hanging dremel-on-steriods thing that had a huge motor and a long flex cable with a nice, small handle on the end. Had the same 1/8" chuck as the dremel and had a lot more torque, LOL. If I ever find a similar one somewhere for cheap I'll pick it up.
    Eastwood sells just what you're talking about. It even has the foot pedal with variable speed. Cheap? $260.

How in the heck do you post pictures on this forum?

Mike

You have to host them somewhere first, www.photobucket.com is free. Or you can just email them to me. ground.rat@gmail.com

Hybrid booster

Email sent.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

^Is this ported?

If you have any more pics, please send them my way.

OK, I pulled of my manifold and bought a dremel. I plan on getting a thermal coating inside an out when I'm done.

Here is what it looked like after I pulled it off.

Here is what is looks like with a gasket on top.

How much material do I take off? What about on the turbo side?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If it were me I would really hog it out. I don't have any expertise here, but given that the ported stockers only flow about 3% over stock, I would try to maximize the return on my efforts.

Only 3%? Sounds like a waste of time. Maybe I should pick up a TBI manifold instead. What would be involved in making one fit on my van (.42/.48 T3)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Rat
    Only 3%? Sounds like a waste of time. Maybe I should pick up a TBI manifold instead. What would be involved in making one fit on my van (.42/.48 T3)?
    There is a really good thread on the TBI manifolds on here if you do a search. They are where its at if you want to put the time into it and you can weld IMO.

So I just need to find a place to weld the flange from my old manifold onto a TBI manifold and redo my DP?

The oil return will have to be moved to the oil pan since the old drain tube sits higher than the TBI manifold will allow. Also the oil and coolant lines will need to be redone.

Damn, I just bought all new oil and coolant lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast