Thread: Converting NA 2.5L to T2

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Converting NA 2.5L to T2

I have 2 - 87 2.2L T2 engines that need cranks and pistons. I can get a '90 2.5L NA common block cheap. My question is how much is involved to convert it to T2, keeping in mind that I have the old, complete, 2.2L engines.
    I realize that I will need a new forged crank, and pistons, but it's the other parts that I question.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Converting NA 2.5L to T2

Get some 2.5 turbo pistons, you have T2 rods already. use the T2 engine cylinder head but drop a new roller cam, rockers and a set of 2.4 lifters into it.

Nothing wrong with a 2.5 'T2' engine. Sure the factory never did one but that doesn't mean you can't now.

turbo addict

Gonna have to drill for the oil drain back or modify the pan for that

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by LaserDad View Post
    I have 2 - 87 2.2L T2 engines that need cranks and pistons.
    I can get a '90 2.5L NA common block cheap. My question is how much is involved to convert it to T2, keeping in mind that I have the old, complete, 2.2L engines.
    I realize that I will need a new forged crank, and pistons, but it's the other parts that I question.
    The cast crank will function just fine, as the 2.5L turbo crank is also cast.
    As for the pistons and if you have older 2.2L engines, run a 'G' head with the higher compression of a flat top piston.
    These two combined are rather 'user friendly' with the later fastburn 2.2L turbo spark calibrations but will require added fuel above 4200RPM.
    This combination generates a fairly responsive street 2.5L turbo, with decent knock suppression, that will all benefit from the cooler intake charge temps of an intercooler.
    This presumes that this is a street/daily driver, that will not see excessive boost.
    If elevated boost is desired, seek a higher quality piston while retaining as much compression ratio as possible.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I am building it for a track day play car, so it will eventually see high boost, but not on this build.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by LaserDad View Post
    I am building it for a track day play car, so it will eventually see high boost, but not on this build.
    OK
    The NA pistons can handle elevated cylinder pressures, as seen when the old DC super chargers or turbos were added to 2.2's, but their life is determined by how much, for how long, without knock.
    Running the earlier head (bath tub) chamber is very important to suppress knock OR you can weld a fastburn chamber at the forward side of the chamber.
    This, on a fastburn, will address the non-existent squish-band needed to suppress detonation and support piston longevity.