Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 CSX #453 $3,000, comes with OEM Shelby fabric for seats

1989 CSX #453 $3,000, comes with OEM Shelby fabric for seats

Date: 19th February 2014
    Username: minigts
    Full Name: Jon Trotter (the OTHER Trotter)
    City, State, Zip: Roughly Memphis, TN
    Selling or Wanted Price: $2,000

Description: This will be updated later with more information and pics, but I'd like to get this on the table.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...toration/page2 start at post #37 or read the whole thing if you want.

89 CSX #453. The overall body is in decent shape meaning 2 areas that have dents that will need repair, one on the passenger door and another in front driver's side fender. Both the front and rear ground effects will require some reconstructive surgery, but both are there and were installed on the car and just have damage to them. The front was taken off, but I will re-install it if someone buys it. Car needs paint, body work and bumper/gfx repair work, but all the Shelby stuff is on the car and it wouldn't take much to get it looking good. The wheels do not have curb rash, amazingly and only one wheel has an issue with the center. Looks like someone tried to push a center cap in too hard and it broke the seat where the cap sits. Two of the four caps come with the car, but I've been told that all the center caps for other cars will work. I have not tested this, nor do I have any I can spare to give with the car.

Interior needs attention too, but minor. The headliner was replaced and looks good, I think (I did it. ) It has new carpet and the dash is in very good shape. The interior pieces I started to paint, but the color was a little off and I was planning to get a darker color and do it again. The seats all should be recovered, the driver's side needs the most attention. But I have at least 4 yards of the OEM Shelby fabric that will come with the car. I paid a premium for this and will be passing the cost onto the new owner, which is why I'm asking $3K for the car. Without the fabric I would take $2500, but I'm not flexing on the price. I don't have to sell it and the more time and money I invest in the car, the higher the price will go.

When I got it, it was burning oil like crazy. Figured a turbo or something mechanical, turned out to be valve seals that unseated. The car has a "new" head on it, albeit Chinese. I would recommend swapping it for something real, but for now it's doing the job. I did a quick fix with the valve seals by using some silicone on the inside and then securing them to the head. It's held up well given that I've driven MANY miles since, but it's not the real fix that it should be. My plan is to get some ones that crimp on and be done with that. I also have a coolant issue with the supply line to the turbo, but it will either come with the TU lines to and from the turbo or I will install them before the sale, just depends on how much time I can give to fixing it. Right now the stock lines are there with a replacement heater hose line that is crimped on using some worm band thingys? Standard heater hose clamps, not sure what they are called. I'd consider getting the stock line repaired, there's a guy in town that can crimp AC lines, I'm sure he could do this one. I need to get a PS line fixed, so I'll check into getting that done for this.

When I got the car I did the following:

• Installed new CV shafts (Empi) very heavy duty ones, I'll get pics
    • Replaced front and passenger motor mounts with Polybushings
    • Replaced control arm bushings with Polybushings
    • Replaced the bobble strut with Polybushings
    • Replaced some of the vacuum lines from end to end
    • Replaced the head gasket
    • 1.5 year old battery
    • Purchased, not installed, Polybushings transmission mount

Car runs really well and I consistently get about 26-28 mpg driving back and forth to the Indy area going about 75-80. I think going about 70 and it could potentially hit 30 mpg. It has a stock computer, stock timing, stock everything. The main wiring harness is in really good shape and my only plan was to pull it and re-wrap it. I think the sub-harness is ok, but as most of them, it could use some attention. The rear harness for the fuel rail is fine and I'd even give the new owner some terminals to re-crimp the wires if they wanted them. The vacuum setup needs some work to look stock, but right now it seems ok. The lines I replaced were the 1/8" diameter ones.

I know the airbox broke where the PCV runs to it, but it's functional. It would require getting a new box to be considered acceptable, but just the base not the cover. But the intercooler is fine and the plumbing going to and from are the stock ones. Speaking of ICs, I will throw in an untainted truly new core and ends that have never been touched with the deal. I was going to use this, but since I'm not going to keep this car and I have a larger one for the GLHS, I won't need it. This IC has never been assembled or welded together, so you can do with it as you wish. I'll get pics posted later of it.

Let me know if you have any questions and please ask if you need additional pics if there is one you can't find in the build thread.

Updated with pics. The last one is 14 feet of OEM Shelby embroidered fabric.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intercooler (1).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	563.2 KB 
ID:	48977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intercooler (2).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	48978 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac (2).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	48976 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac (1).jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	484.1 KB 
ID:	48975

Name:	shafts (3).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	497.9 KB 
ID:	48981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shafts (1).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	48979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shafts (2).jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	496.3 KB 
ID:	48980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fabric.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	48984
    Last edited by minigts; 03-12-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Re: 1989 CSX #453 $3,000, comes with OEM Shelby fabric for seats

Bump. If any additional information is needed, let me know.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Looks like a solid car, not often you see them with all the ground fx AND the fiber rides. Seems like an awesome deal for a running driving car.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Looks like a solid car, not often you see them with all the ground fx AND the fiber rides. Seems like an awesome deal for a running driving car.
    Thanks Tyler. It is going to come with the A/C pieces and I will even give ANY new items for A/C that I have purchased for my GLHS. Granted, they may fit or may not. I think the dryer is pretty common and most of the lines are similar at least the connections to the compressor....I think. I have the spare VNT turbo he gave me when I bought it too. Whatever came with it, will go with it. I have spare heads too, but don't have any interest in swapping the head for it. Car runs great right now, so not messing with it. Posting a pic shortly of the additional intercooler that will come with it.

Updated pics.

Man I did not want to post this, but here they are.

Name:	20140303_072906.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	556.8 KB 
ID:	49133 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140303_072926.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	49134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140303_072943.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	536.0 KB 
ID:	49135 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140303_072959.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	532.1 KB 
ID:	49136

Name:	20140303_073005.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	488.9 KB 
ID:	49137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140303_073017.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	49138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140303_073045.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	49139 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140303_073123.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	540.8 KB 
ID:	49140

I wasn't hurt, except my pride. I was heading down from Bloomington to my house, caught some snow in the right median and that was it. I tried to counter steer, but honestly was going too fast and eventually the car spun around and hit the front corner first and then the rear. I'm thankful for a lot of things.

First, I'm thankful that the fiber rides were not damaged. I'm thankful that it didn't drag down the entire side of the car. I'm thankful that it's mostly cosmetic. I haven't fully inspected the car, but I don't think it hit THAT hard as to move anything out of alignment other than the fenders. AND...I'm thankful that I'm ok. Sadly enough, that is how it ran through my head once I came to a stop. OH and glad it started right back up so I could keep going.

Parts needed, I'll post formally shortly.

• Driver's fender
    • Front Bumper cover
    • Front driver's turn lights
    • Front bumper rebar
    • Rear bumper
    • Rear bumper rebar
    • Driver's side tail light

The list is amazingly short and again, given the damage the only shelby specific item was the rear lower gfx that I salvaged, it's in the trunk. The headlight is fine and the front grille is fine, fyi.

Don't worry too much...the car is fixable. The fact that you are OK is the most important thing.

If you are going to start looking for parts, shoot Dan an email (you have his email addy). He has quite a few CSX parts. Not sure if he'll have what you are looking for, but worth asking.

turbo addict

Man that sucks. Glad you're ok though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Don't worry too much...the car is fixable. The fact that you are OK is the most important thing.

If you are going to start looking for parts, shoot Dan an email (you have his email addy). He has quite a few CSX parts. Not sure if he'll have what you are looking for, but worth asking.
    Pat, will do. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Man that sucks. Glad you're ok though.
    Why you.....Thanks.

turbo addict

Should be worth more now... Why... Because race car damage....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Should be worth more now... Why... Because race car damage....
    Let me see if buyers go for that. hahaha

It is totally saveable. I just wish this hadn't happened when it did. I have spoken to a couple of people, but one in particular had offered to buy it and plans were in the works to finalize everything. We'll see how it goes after this. Plan to check the alignment specs with the service manuals I have and then put it all back together. Maybe I'll be able to find a red shadow, 89.....we'll see.

turbo addict

Sent you a PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Yeah, that really sucks! Luckily the damage doesn't seem too bad. I bought my R/T when I was in high school back in the 90's, and I drove through a lot of Utah winters. FWD and a turbo are a poor combination. I'm amazed that I never wrecked mine to be honest.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

That does suck Jon. Maybe the buyer will still be interested. It looks like the only "Shelby" part damaged is the rear bumper.

turbo addict

I have all the parts you need to fix yours with, in about 4 weeks.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Glad you are ok, bud! Sorry about the car. Let me know if there's anything i can help you with.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Yeah, that really sucks! Luckily the damage doesn't seem too bad. I bought my R/T when I was in high school back in the 90's, and I drove through a lot of Utah winters. FWD and a turbo are a poor combination. I'm amazed that I never wrecked mine to be honest.
    Man this always makes me scared to drive the GLHS...then I get over my fear and go out. Thanks Tyler, I agree, it can be saved doesn't look too bad from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    That does suck Jon. Maybe the buyer will still be interested. It looks like the only "Shelby" part damaged is the rear bumper.
    Thanks DJ. I've had a few conversations with the buyer and they weren't happy by any stretch, but really because they knew it hurt me personally. Still working things out, but we'll see where it ends up. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I have all the parts you need to fix yours with, in about 4 weeks.
    haha, I may take you up on that. Going to search some yards around town, but if I can't find anything, we'll have to get together. I'll be out there in Phoenix the week of 3/22, maybe we can all meet up or something?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Glad you are ok, bud! Sorry about the car. Let me know if there's anything i can help you with.
    You're a good friend Mike. Do you have an 86 distributor by chance?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I believe I have an early dist that you can have.

Hybrid booster

Sorry to see the car get damaged, but glad your ok.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I believe I have an early dist that you can have.
    Thanks Brian, but I think Mike has some wiper arms for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by 82 Rampage View Post
    Sorry to see the car get damaged, but glad your ok.
    Thanks Joe. When the weather is better, we need to meet up. I want to see the 3" exhaust on the Charger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast