Thread: 1989 Dodge Omni

Mitsu booster

1989 Dodge Omni

Hello everyone,
    I just joined the forum. I purchased a 1989 Dodge Omni on Sunday for $350 (included basically new studded tires). The car definitely needs some work but it runs and drives fine. I saw there are quite a few Omni/Horizon owners here, and I am glad because I have been having a hard time finding out information about this car.
    First of all I was wondering if there are any websites that people use to get parts for their Omni/Horizon because that is another part I'm having a hard time with. Most of the work that needs to be done is cosmetic - Tail Light covers, paint job, front grille, side mirror. Mechanically I need rear struts and e-brake that I know of. I am going to try and do a lot of this myself, it may have to wait a bit though because I live in the Yukon and its pretty cold to work outside.

Thanks in advanced and I can upload pictures if people would like.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: 1989 Dodge Omni

Welcome!!

It's getting really hard to find body and cosmetic parts for these cars but most mechanical things are still available.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Welcome!!

It's getting really hard to find body and cosmetic parts for these cars but most mechanical things are still available.

Thanks
    Randy

Thanks for the reply. I seem to have difficulty finding performance parts as well, is there any good websites for this? Was wondering about dropping a turbo at some point perhaps.

turbo addict

This would be the site your looking for. you can also try turbododge.com and maybe allpar.com
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

Welcome B

It's still pretty c**p weather in a lot of Canada. There are a lot of Turbo Dodge websites around and try wc-tm.com (Western Canadian Turbo Mopar) while not the most active board lots of members and parts come up

Take care,

Page

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

For parts (mostly mechanical) check out the vendor section, they may be able to help with some cosmetic parts too, but since they're going to be used and have sporadic availability, they may not be shown on their websites, a call may be in order

Also check the "for sale /wanted section", you might be surprised what you can find!

There are write-ups on doing the turbo conversions, should make things easier when the time comes.

Welcome aboard!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

For parts (mostly mechanical) check out the vendor section, they may be able to help with some cosmetic parts too, but since they're going to be used and have sporadic availability, they may not be shown on their websites, a call may be in order

Also check the "for sale /wanted section", you might be surprised what you can find!

There are write-ups on doing the turbo conversions, should make things easier when the time comes.

Welcome aboard!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Pageophile View Post
    Welcome B

It's still pretty c**p weather in a lot of Canada. There are a lot of Turbo Dodge websites around and try wc-tm.com (Western Canadian Turbo Mopar) while not the most active board lots of members and parts come up

Take care,

Page
    Haha, woke up to an unexpected -30 this morning... Omni didn't start to go to it's mechanical inspection had to jump her.

Another general question for anyone to answer - Does the Omni share parts with anything (besides the Horizon.)? Mostly cosmetic wise, tail lights/grille for the outside and arm rests/glove box cover for the inside.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

"L" bodies are fairly unique, some major mechanical stuff interchanges, and can serve as an upgrade for them, but nothing really in the cosmetic realm.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    "L" bodies are fairly unique, some major mechanical stuff interchanges, and can serve as an upgrade for them, but nothing really in the cosmetic realm.

Mike
    Thanks for the response everyone. Doesn't matter now though, she won't be road worthy, rust in the uni-body, floor and rear rockers posted about my learned lesson earlier. May have scared me off of private sales for a while and may just go to a stealership.