Thread: Will the stock boost solenoid work for high boost

boostaholic

Will the stock boost solenoid work for high boost

Couldn't find the answer to this question. Does anybody have experience using the stock boost controller solenoid for high boost applications? Will the computer be able to control the boost above 20 psi? This will be with a tune made using MPTune. I would love to use the stock boost controller if it is up to the task, the added insurance of knowing the computer can pull boost if it senses something is wrong in the tune is a great thing and could save the motor.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Will the stock boost solenoid work for high boost

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Couldn't find the answer to this question. Does anybody have experience using the stock boost controller solenoid for high boost applications? Will the computer be able to control the boost above 20 psi? This will be with a tune made using MPTune. I would love to use the stock boost controller if it is up to the task, the added insurance of knowing the computer can pull boost if it senses something is wrong in the tune is a great thing and could save the motor.
    I use the stock solenoid running up to 22psi boost. But, I have a very open exhaust system, and a simlified vacuum system.

Eventually, you will get to the point that the stock solenoid doesn't flow enough to control the boost. I don't know where that point is, and there are many varaiables (like your vac plumbing, turbo, etc.).
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

I have an open 3" exhaust also and I have a vacuum distribution block also. The lines for the waste gate control are even simpler, just a silicone line from the compressor cover to the solenoid and then back to the nipple of the waste gate actuator.
    Is the solenoid a "bleed type" design, so the pressure from the compressor cover is just vented? If that is the case with a simplified system, there is no reason the solenoid can't hold it.
    I will be doing some workbench tests and then some road tests to find out the limits. I would love to have the solenoid hold my high boost goals when I want it via MPTune.

boostaholic

Hooked up my solenoid to my turbo this past weekend, goes directly from the turbo to solenoid, then back to actuator. Computer control via MPTune is holding it to 18 psi right now which is the lowest my actuator will go, really stiff Holset unit.

boostaholic

Switched to an old actuator that has a minimum pressure of 7 psi. I adjusted my tune and the solenoid is working great at 14 psi. No issues so far, curious how far I can push it next year. Knowing this is a simple bleed solenoid it may as well work for really high boost also. (26-28 psi)

boostaholic

Stock electronic boost controller is working well on my car, currently have it set for 26 psi. I have had it holding as high as 35 psi, only trick is you need to have something like shelgame's turnonator to modify the computer control of the solenoid.

boostaholic

I must once in my life (bucket list) own a turbo dodge that has working computer boost control.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    I must once in my life (bucket list) own a turbo dodge that has working computer boost control.
    Its overrated ;-)

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Stock electronic boost controller is working well on my car, currently have it set for 26 psi. I have had it holding as high as 35 psi, only trick is you need to have something like shelgame's turnonator to modify the computer control of the solenoid.
    Do you mind sharing your duty cycle tables, your plumbing setup and what ECU you have ( SMEC, SBEC, etc ) ?
    oh, nevermind I see you're using non-stock components, Correct?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Its overrated ;-)
    Hahaha!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

I suppose the better question is "What do we have to do to get computer controlled boost to work consistently ?"
    Seems like everyone switches to a g-valve or fiddles with orifices ( lol )( basically bleed helping ) or changes everything to get it to be "acceptable"...
    ok, sorry, I'll quit hijacking and start my own post after this weekend of testing.

with a 2 g valves, a WOT switch and a solenoid, you can set whatever part throttle and full throttle boost levels you want with a ton of accuracy in about an hour.

boostaholic

I have the computer controlled boost working consistently, I need to refine the waste gate duty cycles, for example, if I set the boost target at 26 psi, it will overboost on a couple of pulls till the computer adjusts the waste gate duty cycle to match the new boost target, then the car will hold 26 psi and hold it consistently. With MPTune and MPScan, the computer controlled boost works fantastic, looking forward to switching to E85 and seeing how well the boost control works at 35+ psi, I see no problems arising.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

........I see no problems arising.

thou hast called me by my name? - Problem