Thread: Next Step - Cleaning Stuff...

Hybrid booster

Next Step - Cleaning Stuff...

UGH, I know cleaning up the block where the head attaches is going to be a chore, but I know it needs done and done properly.

So, when cleaning off the old gasket material, do I need to worry about getting stuff into the water jackets and other "holes" that I see? I have the cylinders plugged with rags so nothing will get to the crank, but what do you do to keep the old crap from getting in anywhere else? The only thing I can think of is, let the stuff fall in, then, when everything is back together, flush the system, then refill it.

Is there another way to do this?

Thanks,
    Paul

Re: Next Step - Cleaning Stuff...

I just try to be careful, but when stuff falls into the coolant jacket I don't sweat it too much. Try not to get junk in the oil return passages along the front and especially the oil supply to the head by #4.

Hybrid booster

Whew! So I don't "really" have to worry about the water jackets, just the oil holes. Cool!

Now, about what to use to clean the top off with. I know "Scotch Brite" pads are a no no, so, what grit of sand paper, if I can use that, should I use? For some reason 320 sticks in my head.

If sand paper can be used, is it advisable to use the block and paper method or, I do have access to a belt sander...or would that have a tendency to "gouge" into the block and/or head?

Also, this info will be needed for the head as well. I will be getting the valves and such fixed up in about 3 weeks, so I need to start thinking about what to use to clean everything up to get it put all back together.

Thanks!
    Paul

I have this straight-edge exacto blade that I use like a scraper. The blade is thin and springy and won't dig into the surface. I don't use it on the head though.

Hybrid booster

use s shopvac when your scraping! anything loose will get sucked up in the shop vac and not fall into the engine...