Thread: Exhaust Housing Swap Questions

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Exhaust Housing Swap Questions

I would like to use my Turbonetics 46 trim turbo I have on my 2.5 on my 2.4. I was originally going to make a log manifold but after discussing the swap with A.J. since mine is going into a van as well, I have been thinking about buying a cast manifold instead. The problem is my turbo has the Chrysler .63 housing and will not bolt up and the exhaust will also exit in the wrong direction. Can I swap in a new exhaust housing with a V-clamp outlet and use an external wastegate? My turbo has a stage 1 wheel. Is there anything specific I need to look for when buying the turbine housing other than getting a .63AR? I am assuming it should bolt right on. I have changed them on holset turbos before but not on one of these but I am guessing it is the same. Also another option I was looking at was to go with a ford housing and get one of the v-clamp adapters, this way I could reuse my wastegate. Any thoughts on going this setup? It would be cheaper since I would not have to purchase a new wastegate and the v-clamp adapter is only around $50 which is much cheaper than an external wastegate. Thanks Justin
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

turbo addict

Re: Exhaust Housing Swap Questions

If its a t3/t4 center section it will just swap from the Chrysler to ford housings no problem since its a stage one. And if you want to get rid of that .63 Chrysler housing I'm looking for one lol. Have a ford .63 housing if that's what you end up doing.

Sent you a PM about the Ford housing you have.
    Justin
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    SV-SDAC Member

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I wouldn't use an internal wastegate on the 2.4. I ran into boost spiking issues. I tried porting the wastegate hole but nothing helped except my manifold cracking making me buy the AGP cast manifold and going to the external wastegate. I wasted a lot of time and money trying to cut corners. You need to evaluate your goals so you don't waste your time and money like I did.

Garrett booster

for the 2.4 i like agp twin scroll for a t3, http://www.agpturbo.com/srt-4-agp-ca...roll-manifold/

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    for the 2.4 i like agp twin scroll for a t3, http://www.agpturbo.com/srt-4-agp-ca...roll-manifold/
    That's what I have but if you don't have the twin scroll turbine housing it's kind of pointless. I guess you could get that one and start saving your money to one day get the twin scroll turbine housing turbo.

The more think about it maybe my best bet would be to use the turbofold for now and then save up some money and go with a whole new turbo set up. Since I don't know the history of my turbofold and it might might not have come off my engine which had a few spun bearings is there a way I can flush it. I am going to look at it today and see if there is a date on the turbofold. The turbofold was in a box with all the other parts from the engine.
    Justin
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    SV-SDAC Member

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    The more think about it maybe my best bet would be to use the turbofold for now and then save up some money and go with a whole new turbo set up. Since I don't know the history of my turbofold and it might might not have come off my engine which had a few spun bearings is there a way I can flush it. I am going to look at it today and see if there is a date on the turbofold. The turbofold was in a box with all the other parts from the engine.
    I like this idea. I am so happy with my AGP twin scroll manifold and turbo and the external wastegate. I don't want to tell you what to do but if you want to do it right and not waste time or money like I did this would be your best bet.

My turbo. I choose the twin scroll, V-band, .75 turbine housing. It spools pretty quick. If you're going to use an manual transmission you might be able to use the 1.0 turbine housing. http://www.agpturbo.com/agp-zeta-2-8-ball-bearing/

Almost the same turbo. This was what they were originally trying to sell me. It's cheaper because it doesn't have the billet compressor wheel. http://www.agpturbo.com/agp-delta-46-ball-bearing/

My wastegate. I currently have the large green spring and the small orange spring (I had to buy separately) for 25 psi of boost. http://www.agpturbo.com/agp-46mm-v-b...nal-wastegate/

I ceramic coated my twin scroll manifold by Jet Hot. http://www.agpturbo.com/srt-4-agp-ca...roll-manifold/

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I wouldn't use an internal wastegate on the 2.4. I ran into boost spiking issues. I tried porting the wastegate hole but nothing helped except my manifold cracking making me buy the AGP cast manifold and going to the external wastegate. I wasted a lot of time and money trying to cut corners. You need to evaluate your goals so you don't waste your time and money like I did.
    Which manifold cracked on you?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Which manifold cracked on you?
    The one I built. A TIG weld cracked 75% of the way around between cylinders 2 & 3. Here's pictures of the manifold before the crack: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...n-build/page16