Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem tuning for 25+ psi of boost

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Problem tuning for 25+ psi of boost

The boost going away is what gets me, and why I'm leaning so hard toward a problem with the wastegate.

Spark "blow-out" will feel like you're on an MSD limiter, a kind of random misfire, which I'm sure you noticed.

What you describe, sounds to me like a mechanical issue, specifically the wastegate "sticking", either due to binding, or maybe the wastegate control solenoid not functioning correctly.

Maybe try a manual boost controller as a test to see if the problem persists (possible mechanical binding) or goes away indicating a possible computer glitch.

Best of luck with this one, hope it's something simple!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

If you have a noid light run a wire into the car or up on the windshield where you can see it and tie it into one of the injectors. If the computer is responsible you will see the noid light go out the whole time the throttle is unresponsive. If it doesn't then you need to look at the ignition system maybe. Also is there any chance the air intake hose is getting sucked shut under the vacuum of high boost air flow? Just a couple of thoughts.
    Last edited by rgl10; 02-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I first thought it might be a cal issue because I experienced it before but I am now also thinking it's mechanical. I'm go to mess around with it by trying a couple things and I will post my findings.

turbo addict

When it drops out is the behavior consistent between occurrences?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Spark blow out it when I'm getting popping out of the exhaust under high boost. In the past when I close up the gap and it goes away. Lack of response it when I hit high boost, boost drops off (down to zero) and I get zero response from the throttle/gas pedal like the computer is shutting me down.
    I have had that exact thing happen and it was simply complete blowout of spark where the plugs would not come back to life until the fueling backed off. I had gone far beyond my spark capacity. The go pedal did nothing because the plugs wouldn't light off anything. The motor instantly goes to decelerating. Drop your gap to near .020. Make 100% sure its not just bad blowout.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

That IS a cheap /easy diagnostic, if nothing else it's worth trying for peace of mind.

I caught myself thinking that "it can't be spark, he's already pretty tight on the gap", which usually means I should check that thing first!

It still seems mechanical, but it's too easy to not do and did trigger my "can't be" response, so....

Mike
    Last edited by zin; 02-18-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I have had that exact thing happen and it was simply complete blowout of spark where the plugs would not come back to life until the fueling backed off. I had gone far beyond my spark capacity. The go pedal did nothing because the plugs wouldn't light off anything. The motor instantly goes to decelerating. Drop your gap to near .020. Make 100% sure its not just bad blowout.
    That maybe be it. Same problem with two different symptoms. I'll get back to you once I get a chance to try it.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

A.J. you should know if you haven't ruled it out, you can't say that isn't it. I'm not trying to beat you up on this subject, but almost all techs do this at some point. Just don't want to see you beating your head against the wall to find out it was spark related.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    A.J. you should know if you haven't ruled it out, you can't say that isn't it. I'm not trying to beat you up on this subject, but almost all techs do this at some point. Just don't want to see you beating your head against the wall to find out it was spark related.
    I'm not saying anything is or isn't it. I have gotten a lot of good ideas and suggestions. I'm going to start testing with the most feasible and work my way down to the least feasible, only ruling things out after I am curtain that is not the problem. I haven't had a chance to do any testing so I'm still soaking it all in until I do. I'm treading new territory by running this much boost so I need and value input from those who have. I don't take it as beating up. That's what's cool about this website, everyone offering their ideas and experiences to help people find their problems to go fast(er).

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nippon Denzo makes some double iridium plugs with sharp iridium wire on both sides, not a lump on the ground strap but a sharp point there too. Tight gap on those ought to tell you whether you have spark quench or not. VF series I think.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    That was me thinking to myself, "it can't be X (plug gap)", which is why I'm on board with trying a tighter gap.

It's too quick and easy to not try, even if it only makes it happen at a higher level, we'll know it's something in the ignition, if nothing changes, we can most likely rule out ignition as the problem and look harder at the wastegate, at least that's where I'm inclined to look.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I'm not saying anything is or isn't it. I have gotten a lot of good ideas and suggestions. I'm going to start testing with the most feasible and work my way down to the least feasible, only ruling things out after I am curtain that is not the problem. I haven't had a chance to do any testing so I'm still soaking it all in until I do. I'm treading new territory by running this much boost so I need and value input from those who have. I don't take it as beating up. That's what's cool about this website, everyone offering their ideas and experiences to help people find their problems to go fast(er).
    That's cool you view it that way. I got to the point a couple years ago that everything was a pain in the butt and I felt like I was doing what I mentioned. One reason I took a step back from my Omni. I think it is awesome you are at 25 psi. Last I was on here regularly, you were getting it in the van. Good work in a short period.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post

It's too quick and easy to not try, even if it only makes it happen at a higher level, we'll know it's something in the ignition, if nothing changes, we can most likely rule out ignition as the problem and look harder at the wastegate, at least that's where I'm inclined to look.

Mike
    That's my plan, start with the easiest/most likely to the hardest. I just finished up my last section of stainless steel fuel line and now I'm putting in a larger heat exchanger for my air to water intercooler. I know nether are going to fix my problem but I wanted to get something accomplished while I was gathering info and ideas. Besides, I hate having parts laying around calling me, "Install me. You know you want to."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12