Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Connectors

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Connectors

OK, I just tried a few of these out. There was no problem on the wire gauge, but the insulation thickness was a bit sketchy on SOME of the wires ('87 GLHS). I wasn't a fan of how the insulation crimp bent back a bit (see pic). Other than that they fit great. They played nice with the TPA and the tang clipped in the right spot. They worked great with my cheap crimper too. I give them an 8/10.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo SOB View Post
    Ha! I didn't notice before, but the OEM terminal on the left in the above pic is crimped wrong. LOL!
    A prime example of why formed and stamped terminals suck… so many different things can go wrong.

I may have found a possible alternate for the LM terminals. They MAY be better, though I can't tell for sure. These terminals have the same basic design, but have two "ears" that wrap up around the pin. It may increase the amount of contact points between the pin and the terminal.

Molex 08-52-0113. Right now they are $0.16 each on Mouser, with a 100 piece break of $0.095 each. I bought 50, and will be trying them out soon.

First impressions:
    1. The insulation crimp is larger (good!)
    2. There is no "anti-fish hook" feature (neutral?)
    3. The ears are an extremely tight fit into the housing. It fits, but with more force than you'd expect to need. (bad?)
    4. No issues with the TPA.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, those look like a terriffic option.

Do you think you could get a closer shot of the terminals?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Do you think you could get a closer shot of the terminals?
    I don't know man. I think I'd need a scanning electron microscope to get much closer.

Seriously though, getting a camera phone to focus properly that close up takes some work.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

They look like they could be an improved version even ... wouldn't that be ironic, not being able to find the correct pins because we were searching for a piece that got obsoleted /replaced by an improved unit!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Dorman 645-187 Or Mopar 5014007AB

That is the connector for the updated three wire vehicle speed sensor sold through mopar and the the aftermarket. It is also the same connector used on other applications including the camshaft position sensor on the 3.5 chrysler V6 and possibly others as well. Which is how I found it tonight.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post

That is the connector for the updated three wire vehicle speed sensor sold through mopar and the the aftermarket. It is also the same connector used on other applications including the camshaft position sensor on the 3.5 chrysler V6 and possibly others as well. Which is how I found it tonight.
    Thank you very much for that info. I've been considering an upgrade to the three wire speed sensor. I think it should go a long way in getting a more reliable speedo in the earlier digi dash cars.

I actually mentioned that one in my long list on page 1 of this thread. It's a Delphi part, from the APEX 2.8 family. Delphi bought FCI a while ago. It's available from Mouser (but kind of expensive):

Delphi 54001802
    1: $1.05
    25: $0.84
    50: $0.742
    100: $0.70

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...E7sdbGTs2zk%3d

The actual 3-pin connector body itself is 54200308, and it's used in quite a few places. I have a few of them, they're superior to the old bullet-terminal sytle connector they replace (in my opinion). Oddly enough, the crank sensor from the V6 (circa 2005) looks like it'll work as a TIII crank sensor. I have one of those too, but I have no way to verify it works as a viable alternative right now. I know it fits in my TIII sitting on the garage floor, but I don't know if it'll actually function.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...183&cc=1431387
    Last edited by Turbo SOB; 10-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.

After adding that I looked back on the first page and saw in Turbo SOB's awesome post that you can actually buy the raw shell and pins separate from each other if thats a route you need to go.

Edit: you got me

After adding that I looked back on the first page and saw in Turbo SOB's awesome post that you can actually buy the raw shell and pins separate from each other if thats a route you need to go.
    Looks like we're here at the same time.

Edit: LOL

boostaholic

anyone know where to find really large ring terminals? The ground wire for the O2 sensor connects to the back of the intake manifold to a bolt and my wire is toasted so I need to replace the wire and the ring terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    anyone know where to find really large ring terminals? The ground wire for the O2 sensor connects to the back of the intake manifold to a bolt and my wire is toasted so I need to replace the wire and the ring terminal.
    Here are two.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Uni...y_p/a21401.htm

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Rin...e_p/a17115.htm
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Ok, I looked through 22 pages of 2-pin Chrysler connectors and I'm not sure if I found the right one. The earlier E-core ignition coils had a connector that looks nearly the same as the one used on the speed-distance sensor. Does anybody know:

a. Are they indeed the same?

and

b. Which part is it?
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

boostaholic

Excellent thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Ok, I looked through 22 pages of 2-pin Chrysler connectors and I'm not sure if I found the right one. The earlier E-core ignition coils had a connector that looks nearly the same as the one used on the speed-distance sensor. Does anybody know:

a. Are they indeed the same?

and

b. Which part is it?
    They are the same connector family and pins as you know but the keyway is different.

coil: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...891&cc=1098086

2 wire VSS kit https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...879&cc=1097850

Question before I hit the send button.

Are the earlier style MAP and TPS sensors that utilize the weather pack type connectors compatible with the 91 and later sensors that use the Chrysler proprietary rectangular style plugs and pins that are all but impossible to get now.

Are the earlier style MAP and TPS sensors that utilize the weather pack type connectors compatible with the 91 and later sensors...
    Yes.

A 2-bar MAP is a 2-bar MAP. A TPS is just a potentiometer.

I would even go as far as to say that when you buy an Airtex/Wells or Standard Motor Products replacement from RockAuto, or AutoZone, or whatever, their internals are identical. It's just the connector on the outside that differentiates them.

To add to this list, I would replace the 4 wire O2 sensor with the Neon 4 wire sensor, using the 4 pin connector I list in my previous post in the "TE SSC" section near the bottom.

...Chrysler proprietary rectangular style plugs and pins...
    To be painfully honest, I'm not entirely sure they're unique to Chrysler. In more than a few places I've searched, they're referred to as "Ford-style bullet terminals".

E7EB_14487_AA Its a Ford p/n

Possible SBEC sockets though ? Originally mfg by 'Cardell' who was subsequently bought by Molex in 99.

Of course the $hitty thing being they are discontinued by Ford and nobody sells them apparently unless your buying a couple thousand...

Take a look at the red locking wedge
    http://www.millersmule.com/blog/new-...ule-connectors

different but the same idea/form as the SBEC connector locking wedges.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast