Thread: Re-routing the ignition coil circuit

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re-routing the ignition coil circuit

Since I've pretty much torn my wiring harness apart anyway, I want to re-route the wires to the igntion coil in my Charger. I'm running a later style epoxy filled coil, and I wired it by just extending the original wires from the passenger side fender all the way back across the engine, which ultimately makes this circuit about 8 feet longer than it really needs to be. I'd rather source it straight from the power module which is only a couple feet away.

Now if I'm looking at the wiring diagrams correctly, both wires come out of the power module. There's the 16ga black/yellow for the ground which goes straight to the negative side, and the 14ga dark green/black power wire which has two splices- one to the fuse box under the dash, and one to the fuel pump circuit.

So here's my question. The black/yellow wire I should be able to just pull completely out of the engine harness and re-route as needed. For the power wire, can I just follow it to the second splice farthest from the power module (fuel pump circuit) and eliminate it past that point, and then resplice at the power module without disrupting that fused circuit?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Re-routing the ignition coil circuit

I had no spark an sometimes had no fuel pump prime when I made my new harness a couple yrs ago. I never found out what the cause was since I got an S60 harness. Could have been a PM issue, I guess. Others have done he similar to what you are doing with no issue. I guess I just screwed up on mine.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't see why not, you should be able to pick power anywhere along the dark green/black wire. The dark green/black also powers the alternator field also. FYI I opened up a 89 Daytona TII engine harness and all the dark green/black splices are about center of the fire wall, I'm guessing its the same for a Charger also.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I don't see why not, you should be able to pick power anywhere along the dark green/black wire. The dark green/black also powers the alternator field also. FYI I opened up a 89 Daytona TII engine harness and all the dark green/black splices are about center of the fire wall, I'm guessing its the same for a Charger also.
    I believe they are near the strut tower on the driver's side for the L-bodies.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Yeah, I started taking the harness down to look for it, and a lot of the tubing started cracking and breaking. So I'm going to have to re-wrap most of it anyway. I'll track them down.