Thread: Roll Cage builder Question

Mitsu booster

Roll Cage builder Question

I have a question for builders of roll cages.
    Ive been noticing this to be a common practice among builders.
    First pics of minigts car shows the main hoop where its mounted to the car the pipe bends in alot, moving the bar pretty far away from the door piller.

Second set of pics on turboshads car shows front down bars mounted on front floor pan are bent in alot.

Im wondering why the bars are bent in so far away from the structure of the car?

Let me say both these cars are amazing and the workmanship is top notch, hats off to anyone whos worked on them.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post

Attachment 45298

Additional updates!

Attachment 45300

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post

Hybrid booster

Re: Roll Cage builder Question

If im not mistaken, scca rules that all posts securing to the floor must be in at least a 6x6 square, and within a certain range from the edge of said square. To keep it against any pillar would mean that you wouldnt be able to get it on said plate. Also you are only allowed so many bends/angles that make up your hoops before they deem them illegal or "unsafe"

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    If im not mistaken, scca rules that all posts securing to the floor must be in at least a 6x6 square, and within a certain range from the edge of said square. To keep it against any pillar would mean that you wouldnt be able to get it on said plate. Also you are only allowed so many bends/angles that make up your hoops before they deem them illegal or "unsafe"
    Just read all of my SCCA rule books as most of the cars I build and put roll cages in are SCCA cars and not anywhere in any of the rule books can I find this rule.
    So I called up John Bauer who is the Technical Manager OF SCCA and he confirmed that there is no rule in place at all like this, also the 6x6 plate is NHRA not SCCA.
    As for as your >Also you are only allowed so many bends/angles that make up your hoops before they deem them illegal or "unsafe"< I agree on this and the practice of moving the front bars inward add a extra bend to move the bar mounting point away from the structure of the car.
    Heres from a GCR SCCA rule book on mounting plates.
    Source>http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...%20January.pdf
    Edited to add source

Mounting Plates
    a.
    Mounting plates welded to the structure of the car shall
    not be less than .080 inches thick nor more than 0.25
    inches thick. The maximum area of each mounting plate in
    the Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, and
    Touring classes shall be 144 square inches. Plates may be
    on multiple planes but shall not be greater than 15 inches
    on any side.
    b.
    The
    thickness of mounting plates bolted or riveted to the
    structure of the car must not be less than the thickness of
    the roll hoop or brace that they attach to the chassis, and
    must be backed up with a plate of equal size and thickness
    on the opposite side of the chassis panel. The maximum
    area of each mounting plate must be 144 square inches.
    Plates may be on multiple planes but shall not be greater
    than 15 inches on any side.
    c.
    Fasteners for bolted or riveted
    mounting plates must be
    Grade 5 or better with a minimum diameter of 5/16”
    Last edited by Ultimate Exhaust; 02-14-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I know on the Lbodies, there is a major structural component under the floor where that plate is located, right where the Kframe bolts to the body structure.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

http://dsr.racer.net/docs/rules/2002...s_2002_gcr.pdf

Page 3 of the GCR states-"
    Main hoop: 4 bends maximum, totaling 180 degrees ± 10
    degrees"

To answer your question, I put the extra angle in the to help with the finish welding and fitment into the car.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I know on the Lbodies, there is a major structural component under the floor where that plate is located, right where the Kframe bolts to the body structure.
    Yes but that is a Pbody and the frame is over more then where that plate is, as I just looked under my CSX. The front frame rail on drivers side on a Pbody is in the center of the clutch peddle straight down to floor.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    http://dsr.racer.net/docs/rules/2002...s_2002_gcr.pdf

Page 3 of the GCR states-"
    Main hoop: 4 bends maximum, totaling 180 degrees ± 10
    degrees"

To answer your question, I put the extra angle in the to help with the finish welding and fitment into the car.
    Thank you very much for your honest answer.

Hybrid booster

Well then i retract my statement about the plates. But i did know the bend rule as that was something i need to consider on my cage.

Mitsu booster

Turismo, what kind of racing you doing with your car?

Hybrid booster

When i get it finished, probably both drag and some autox. Im young so i havent had many opportunities to run cars in an event. Have a friend of mine who is heavy into autox racing, i cant remember the details but he is a part of the scca chapter or club for my area. So the more i can learn about cages, the better.

The last time i looked (if im remembering this right) there are a lot of things that can make you illega, even with a cage, correct?

turbo addict

I'll take pictures of my cage in my race car. From what I understand it is a nascar style cage. Is legal for both nhra specs and scca rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When i get it finished, probably both drag and some autox. Im young so i havent had many opportunities to run cars in an event. Have a friend of mine who is heavy into autox racing, i cant remember the details but he is a part of the scca chapter or club for my area. So the more i can learn about cages, the better.

The last time i looked (if im remembering this right) there are a lot of things that can make you illega, even with a cage, correct?
    Illegal in what sense? SCCA? Law enforcement? Parents?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Lol scca, i dont care about the cops, as long as i can race

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've only built one cage, that one, and it was a few years ago now so I don't remember all my reasonings. I know for sure one reason was the same as Brian. That is a very difficult area to get a full weld in and much closer to the sill would have made it near impossible with my skill level. As it were it stretched my abilities. The other was probably that it needed to come away from the "wall" to clear things and with a 6.5" CLR you couldn't get another bend in close enough to the first bend to make much difference.

turbo addict

I would think locating it there would also make it easier to work with future cage upgrades.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Mitsu booster

I would be happy to give you some pointers on building a roll cage. As little things wrong could be catastrophic.
    I do realize this is a forum for helping others and I get on here to learn as much as I can. But im the new guy here and dont want to make anyone upset. so not sure if me posting it in anything but a PM would be ok?
    Im only looking to help and would be happy to prove anything I post.