Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

just to clarify. are you getting the pw and latency values from mpscan? if so, make sure the pw gauge is using the newest settings, i.e. the pw ecu max settings shows 262.14. if not download the newest files, delete the pw gauge and then readd it.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

I'm getting the pw from mpscan and the latency values were given to me by precision and programmed into the tune.
    Where is the ecu setting shown?

in mpscan, go to settings/layout files/gauge settings and scroll down to the injector pulsewidth line. the very last column should be the ecu max. make sure its at 262.14. if not i would download all the new settings files, delete the pulsewidth gauge from your layout and then readd it (alternatively you can change the address of the pulsewidth gauge to something else and then set it back to the correct address in the layout screen). i would like to see you log both the PW and latency in mpscan. i don't know if the latency settings are correct.

boostaholic

Morris,
    I will get that data later tonight. Can you also tell me what settings I need to change in the same table to have the MAP sensor adjust to a 4 bar MAP sensor. I am swapping my 3 bar for a 4 bar, I want my gauge to be reading accurately.

boostaholic

I updated the injpw gauge, fired the car up and let it run, the injpw was .69 and the injlat was also .69 at 1300 rpm. So with that bit of data, I think this is as low as it will idle on these injectors.
    Also, got the 3 bar and 4 bar figured out in mpscan, ready to swap that next.

boostaholic

The car is now running on E85 and I should have done this sooner, night and day differences, car is considerably quicker!
    What I did to get it operational with using the pump tune. I first re scaled the 110.0 lb hr injectors 30% to 77 lb/hr. I also added a little fuel to all three of the StartFuelFromTemp A B & C in the temp range of 20-60° F. After some on-road testing I found there to be way too much fuel, So i then went to the two tables that scale the actual 3D maps and scaled them back. I did multiple pulls till I got the WOT to settle at 12.0 AFR on the gas adjusted WBO2 gauge while on waste gate pressure. (20 PSI) I then decided to turn up the wick and set the electronic boost controller up to 38 psi. I made a couple of pulls just to test it out and that was the fastest the car had ever gone. I went back and watched the logs. I did a couple of third gear pulls, boost reached anywhere from 32-34 psi as I was pedaling it. I was nervous to beat on it too hard since this was my first pulls and I didn't pull any timing. Car lost traction in 3rd multiple times at around 5000 rpm. Timing was right around 20 degrees advanced and the knock sensor didn't pick anything up, no timing was pulled. Very promising for my first run! Time to clean up the timing tables next and get low boost dialed in, then turn it back up and see what my combo is good for!

turbo addict

Add more timing!!

With the same amount of boost, but more aggressive timing, AJ gain 9mph (I think) at the end of the 1/4.

boostaholic

That's on the docket next, I am going to see how much timing I can safely add at 20PSI, then start moving the boost higher. If I can make more power down low it's going to spool that much quicker.

As a reference, while on premium fuel, I got up to the point of running 25 PSI, but this was at 10 degrees advanced, this was on the ragged edge and sometimes would pick up knock when the ambient temps were warmer. I could not add anymore timing or boost.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Morris,
    I will get that data later tonight. Can you also tell me what settings I need to change in the same table to have the MAP sensor adjust to a 4 bar MAP sensor. I am swapping my 3 bar for a 4 bar, I want my gauge to be reading accurately.
    there should be a map4bar already set up in layout files.

boostaholic

Yep, I found it in the tables after updating MPScan.

boostaholic

Looking for a little help on which table to adjust. When the car is cold it idles nice and low, but once warmed up the car idles high, it will hang up around 14-1500 rpm and not drop much lower. What table do I need to adjust to bring the idle down? I am sure it is fuel related, MPScan shows a warmed up target idle of 850 rpm. Where do I need to remove fuel to drop the idle.
    Also, when warmed up the rpm between shifts stay high, If is am not letting the r's climb and I am just shifting low the car will rev up between shifts, i"m sure this is also fuel related but I am not sure which table to adjust to help this also.

boostaholic

Not sure who all has tried to crank up the boost on a TIII yet. I tried turning up the boost past 30 and with all the boost targets maxxed out as high as possible, I can not get the boost target to go above 29.4 Psi. I have also tried turning off the selectable boost and set the low as high as possible. (58 psi) Why is the computer limiting the boost to 29.4 Psi. I have a 4 Bar MAP sensor installed and functioning properly.

boostaholic

Here is my current timing map, the map is mostly stock for low boost and I optimized the timing at 20 psi, thinking I need to smooth out the valley between the peaks and add some timing below 20 psi.

boostaholic

Can someone please help me I am planning to switch the car back to premium in a few days and I would like to get this high idle fixed, it is killing any fuel economy and getting a bit annoying at stop lights.
    Also I need someone to help me fix the boost target issues, why wont it allow more than 29.4 PSI?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Can someone please help me I am planning to switch the car back to premium in a few days and I would like to get this high idle fixed, it is killing any fuel economy and getting a bit annoying at stop lights.
    Also I need someone to help me fix the boost target issues, why wont it allow more than 29.4 PSI?
    3-bar MAP? 29.4 is as high as a 3-bar can read (actually, it won't even read that high, realistically)...

Have no idea about the high idle...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

4 bar map, scaled in mp tune properly.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Could the high idle be from a vacuum leak?
    Or maybe the AIS motor is not stepping down enough? Or wrong AIS for whichever TB you are using?

Also, where and which 4 bar MAP are you using? I am considering one.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

The only change I made was switching the map sensors and injectors. I'm sure it has something to do with switching to e85 and scaling the injectors 30% more than actual flow rates.
    I am running the omnipower gm universal 4 bar.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Is it possible to have the fuel and spark maps go all the way to 8100 rpms or is the 6100 the highest? cause thats 2k rpms that i can't adjust
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    Is it possible to have the fuel and spark maps go all the way to 8100 rpms or is the 6100 the highest? cause thats 2k rpms that i can't adjust
    You can, but its tricky.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast