Thread: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

boostaholic

Re: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

Here you go wowzer.

boostaholic

Wowzer,
    Sent you some logs.

What do codes 53 and 54 mean on a SBECII I think 54 is common with a different tune, but I would like to know what 53 could be?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

thx. thats good info. even at 25 bytes per sample you were still getting around 12 - 13 samples per second. that's plenty of resolution.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

This is running on my old Toshiba Netbook with an Intel Atom processor and 2GB of ram, my dedicated tuning PC!

On another note, I pulled the codes last night, I am still getting a code for overboost. I have the OB set to 44.1, slid all the way to the right. The car also seems to start pulling timing around 22.5 psi. This is coincidentally the same number the boost target shows in MPScan. This could be a coincidence. My MAP sensor is showing a max boost of 25.9 PSI, and my boost gauge in the car shows a hair over 25. I wonder what is going on here..

DD - on the "joe" log you sent me what is different (if any) as far as cable/setup/ecu vs your car? your logs are around 300+ bytes/sec and that other log is only around 200+ bytes/sec.

boostaholic

Same cable and setup, both logs are from my PC, but that car is an SBEC while my car is an SBECII. Both cars are TIII's.

thanks. that's interesting. what cal's are you each running?

boostaholic

Both cars are running turbonator t3 tunes, the are both built off stock tunes that I modified for their respective injectors with scaling and such, both using stock boost control. Mines on 72's and the other car is on evo 8's.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Both cars are running turbonator t3 tunes, the are both built off stock tunes that I modified for their respective injectors with scaling and such, both using stock boost control. Mines on 72's and the other car is on evo 8's.
    What are EVO8's ?

I checked the cal, I don't see any problems. But, I'm concerned now that maybe you (he) are running high impedance injectors. Not sure that will work in our systems.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

They are stock injectors out of a Mitsubishi evolution 8, they should be low impedance, as that is what's stock in that car.

Looking at the cal some more, it doesn't seem tuned at all, just scaled. Where is it cutting out at in terms of boost, rpm, speed, etc?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

I have spent about 20 mins tuning this car, our schedules never line up. I took the stock T3 tune, scaled for his injectors (560cc). I adjusted the battery offset table. I have about 3 different tunes I have ran on the car. I have the boost adjust to 21 psi. Using the part throttle and full throttle factor tables I have done a small amount of adjusting. The car is not anywhere close to fully tuned.

On my car the other night, I was fine tuning my tune, after a good steady pull. I slowed down to take a turn, while rolling up to a stoplight, it died on me on two seperate occurances. I also managed to stall it at an intersection and I had to flash the car inorder to get it to start. Uptill these incidents, I have been driving the car for at least a month with no issues, ill try re-flashing mine and see if all the problems go away.

I also need to find time to tune my buddies car.

boostaholic

Got out last night and spent a solid 2 hours tuning my friends car. We first worked on getting the part throttle fuel to where it needs to be. Then we dialed in the full throttle fuel on low (21psi) boost. The car pulls like a freight train all the way to redline. In all of our driving it never stalled or shut-down so I think that was tied to the flash that was on it. Anyways, with the tune that is on it now, the Boost Target as being read from MPScan is 11.0 PSI. On a full 3rd gear pull the car pulls nice and smooth, but while watching the MPScan, the car pulls 6.0 degrees of timing at 11 psi, it then slowly adavances the timing back to normal as the boost continues to climb to redline. Why is the car pulling timing? We have never witnessed knock on this car and the sensor has not read over 1.0v. More tuning to come on this car!

On a second note, this car on wastegate pressure at 20-21 PSI pulls way harder than mine at 27 PSI. I really need to rebuild my engine because I am leaving a lot on the table right now.

Also, looking forward to making a E85 tune to compliment both these cars!

boostaholic

Finally getting back to this.
    Getting all the bugs sorted out on my car last night after the new engine build. Changed all the spark maps to match the +403 bar map template, car made the pull of its life last night. Did a clean pull at 25PSI, it did pull a couple of degrees of timing up top from the knock sensor picking up something. I didn't hear knocking and it pulled like a freight train to almost 100. Electronic boost control seemed to be working because it was holding 25 psi to redline.
    So after this I go and pick up a buddy and we then do a few pulls and not the car wont boost over 20 psi. (min waste gate pressure with the Holset) I am still getting a handle on the electronic boost control but we are making progress. Can't wait to get the 2 step and select able boost control working. I do have to say in the top of second over 4500 rpm and 20 pounds of boost it just blows the front tires away, It would be scary if it hooked in second!

- - - Updated - - -

On the other car I am tuning, my buddies Spirit R/T, his car is still having the intermittent issue of shutting down after running a certain amount of minutes, I would appreciate some help troubleshooting that too. Anyone else have this happen on a SBEC on a TIII???
    Thanks

On the other car I am tuning, my buddies Spirit R/T, his car is still having the intermittent issue of shutting down after running a certain amount of minutes, I would appreciate some help troubleshooting that too. Anyone else have this happen on a SBEC on a TIII???
    Thanks
    Flash able ECU?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Yeah, exact set up I have, flash able ecu with your cord.

My friend says it stalls, has to turn the key back to off and then back to run. It's really annoying. On the highway it is more consistent to stalling, but driving around town its really random.

On a longer drive it will stall more than once.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 07-17-2015 at 02:28 PM.

boostaholic

Update:
    Tune is getting really close, I have the fuel dialed in at 11.4-11.6 at WOT to 7000 rpm redline. Still working through the electronic boost control, but most of the time it holding 23-28PSI to redline, still getting a little knock, but I think that is more due to the fact that no one has adjusted the timing much above stock boost levels. I'm running about 13-14 degrees advanced at 28 psi on Premium Fuel and the car seems to be responding well to that. Still fine tuning the spark tables.
    On another note, I filled the car up last night and on my last tank the calculated miles per gallon was 35.5. I was floored that is was that high. Car is running like a top and getting ready for the next step. I want to make a killer 72 lb/hr, 3 Bar MAP sensor tune to help the TIII community out. Then the 120's come out with the 4 bar for mine.
    As stated in another thread, I still can't get the staging limiter or selectable boost to work.

DoubleD - would you post up the mpscanport.txt file now that you're logging works. want to see the messages for reference. thx.

Yeah, exact set up I have, flash able ecu with your cord.

My friend says it stalls, has to turn the key back to off and then back to run. It's really annoying. On the highway it is more consistent to stalling, but driving around town its really random.

On a longer drive it will stall more than once.
    Under setup/cal options, make sure 'disable EMR' is checked. It's a known issue with the flash module and the emissions maintenance reminder light. I'm guessing you don't care about that feature anymore.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Under setup/cal options, make sure 'disable EMR' is checked. It's a known issue with the flash module and the emissions maintenance reminder light. I'm guessing you don't care about that feature anymore.
    I told that to my friend, he's waiting on new motor mounts before we can test this on his car, hope to update next week

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast