Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

boostaholic

Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    DD - off topic but i noticed the description on the botton doesn't indicate it is an ftdi cable, just a regular usb serial cable. can you either send me the mpscanport.txt file or post it up here. i thought you were using rob's cable. hmm.
    I am using Rob's cable, pretty much every time I use the program, I have to re select the proper com port, it never remembers. I have the ftdi cable from Rob.

Also, I'm using mpscan to log, my map sensor reading never matches my boost gauge, it is always much lower, I am running a 3 bar map sensor, I assume mpscan is built for a two bar, what multiplier do I need to change the gauge to read correctly?
    Last edited by DoubleD; 06-07-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Re: Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

hey rob I'm running the T3_MTX_A393_3bar cal on my car and it sarts up great but I assume because of my low vac the cal fattens up the mix a little at idle but idles and runs good. I think I asked you one time to write me a basic cal for my car maybe this was it? My T3 is full ported and has stage2 cams ect. ect. my cruising afr's are great and tip in is good, getting on it a little is also afr wise good. My issue is overboost shut down is kicking on at like 8-10 psi? I set the low boost to 12 psi and hi boost to 18 till i get it broke in and such. But why is the overboost shutting down lower than the low boost setting? what am i missing? sorry for the partial hijack btw..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    hey rob I'm running the T3_MTX_A393_3bar cal on my car and it sarts up great but I assume because of my low vac the cal fattens up the mix a little at idle but idles and runs good. I think I asked you one time to write me a basic cal for my car maybe this was it? My T3 is full ported and has stage2 cams ect. ect. my cruising afr's are great and tip in is good, getting on it a little is also afr wise good. My issue is overboost shut down is kicking on at like 8-10 psi? I set the low boost to 12 psi and hi boost to 18 till i get it broke in and such. But why is the overboost shutting down lower than the low boost setting? what am i missing? sorry for the partial hijack btw..
    You have to change the over boost settings. There's a group for them, they're with the rev limiter.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Ok cool should i set it to higher than low boost or high boost i would assume? Also i'm using the Factory wg controls to control boost
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

sweet i set the overboost shut down to 23 lbs. and i didn't get any shut down...but it did boost higher than 12psi..dont want to hijack this thread again so i'll start a new one more appropriate to my issues.
    Turbo Joe

boostaholic

I have been driving the car around and I notice that on decel my WB goes rich, 10.0-10.5 and it hangs up there for quite a while before going lean. My other tune would go lean pretty quickly. With the rich off decel I'm also getting some backfiring. What do I need to adjust in the tune to remove some fuel from deceleration. I am sure this is because my head is not ported and does not flow as well as this tune was designed for.

boostaholic

Was out logging tonight trying to record some of my current problems. I was doing 4th gear pulls from 65-85 mph. Here is a screenshot of what I was experiencing. The check engine light came on everytime I tried to make a pull.

I don't know why it was pulling timing. Knock was not showing anything and there was no phantom Knock, it was nowhere near the threshold. Not sure what is going or why it was pulling timing..

I can send the full log of the drive

boostaholic

Update on tuning:
    Starting to get the fuel dialed in and working well, just some small tweaks here and there. Car runs really good. Trying to get a grasp on adjusting the timing but that is still somewhat of a mystery. Also not really sure what the ignition timing gauge is showing in MPScan. I assume that it is always showing retarded timing by looking at the gauge, but I am uncertain.
    I did many pulls last night and I am still getting a check engine light "phantom knock" and it is pulling boost for no reason. The knock gauge is reading 0 and yet it is pulling up to 5 degrees of timing.
    Last night I set the rev limiter lower to 6500 and I reached that, found that the fuel cut works well and will not let it rev any higher. The staging limiter is broken and not functioning at all.
    I have no idea how to control boost using the solenoid. The low boost switch seems to be non operational. when I hit my programmed switch, the boost target does not change at all. I am going to continue to play around with the settings till I get some sort of change.
    On MPScan, I can not get my MAP sensor to read correctly on the gauge, I have never seen over 10 psi and the manual boost gauge will show 18-20 psi. Also, then the car is not running but in the ON position, I am getting a reading of -10 inHg, shouldn't that be reading 0?

Driving the car daily and learning a little about the software everyday, will continue to update when I have a breakthrough.

Here are my logs from last night, both the MPScan log and my Logworks log for the wideband.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_x...it?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_x...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by DoubleD; 07-08-2014 at 01:06 PM.

boostaholic

Calling rob,
    Been driving the car around and every time it's under full throttle and boost runs it pulls timing. I had one run recently where the knock sensor was still at 0 volts and it pulled 11 degrees of timing on all four cylinders. There was no actual knock, what is going on here?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Calling rob,
    Been driving the car around and every time it's under full throttle and boost runs it pulls timing. I had one run recently where the knock sensor was still at 0 volts and it pulled 11 degrees of timing on all four cylinders. There was no actual knock, what is going on here?
    What are you watching that makes you think its pulling timing?

Also, if your knock sensor is reading 0 volts in boost, something is wrong. It should read something. What are you logging for knock?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Tuning help for a TIII using MPTune

I have mpscan going and logging. I did more pulls this morning and I think I found that the knock threshold is not high enough, by the time the car starts pulling timing, the knock sensor already showed voltage above the threshold.

I can send you my log from this morning.

boostaholic

I was working on my tune last night and slowly adjusting the fuel battery offset table. Still showing -25 on the trims while logging. Do I still have too much fuel? Should I be pulling out of the part throttle and full throttle offsets? I have yet to modify the actual 3d tables due to the complexity of them.
    Also after my pulls running at 14 psi, I would check the codes and i am getting codes: 45, 51, 52, and 54.

I am wondering if the overboost code has something to do with is pulling timing. I have all the overboost setting in MPTune all the way to the right.
    What does code 54 mean?

boostaholic

More driving tonight, current codes showing 45, 46, 47, 51, 52, 53, and 54.

Pulling just a little more fuel using the density charts, cars running good!

boostaholic

Just filled up the tank and on the latest tune I got 25-26 mpg for the tank, best I have ever got in the R/T! Turbonator with the 72's is looking great.

boostaholic

Was out tuning my friend's (joekickass) Spirit R/T the other night and I learned quite a few things on mine. My car was knock because it was running lean. Swapped back on my stiff wastgate actuator spring, installed a 180 T-stat and re-did the fan schedules, turned the boost back up to 17, I started adding fuel till I was getting a nicee 11.4-11.6 at WOT. Got it to the point it was not pulling timing in Second, was working on tuniing doing full pulls in third. Still pulling a little more timing, so I will be adding a little more fuel to the table and getting that solid. Then I'll start tuning the wick up. Hope to be running 25+ psi by the end of the weekend on this tired old motor. My buddies Spirit is loving the boost, 22 psi on his, no knock. Blew the tires off in the middle of third the other night.

Finally getting my head wrapped around MPTune and making some solid tunes. More updates to come.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

are you doing any logging? would love to see some nice long pulls in mpscan.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

I log just about every run. I know the ADV is still not showing the actual advance. I could send you some logs from either car.

just pick one and send me the .mpl file and the mpscanport.txt file.

boostaholic

Did some tuning last night. Car was running great at 25 psi. Logs to come!

wow - that's ALOT of gauges post a pic of the logged stats under the logging\display logged info menu from one of your log files. curious to see how many samples per sec you are actually getting.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast